Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #1

Water Heater Help

I haveva new Wildwood Heritage Glen 263RL and my water is not hot. The water heater lights and when the hot water is first turned on it is hot but only kadt about 15 seconds. What is wrong ? Why wont it stay hot any longer ?
Kmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmsmith View Post
I haveva new Wildwood Heritage Glen 263RL and my water is not hot. The water heater lights and when the hot water is first turned on it is hot but only kadt about 15 seconds. What is wrong ? Why wont it stay hot any longer ?
Usually this is caused by a bypass valve being set incorrect, which is allowing cold water to mix in with the hot water.

Do you know how to gain access to the rear of your water heater (usually thru a cabinet, false panel, or similar from inside the RV) or do you have a plumbing station?

This thread may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1051613

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #3

water heater bypass.

You need it set for summer.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Usually this is caused by a bypass valve being set incorrect, which is allowing cold water to mix in with the hot water.

Do you know how to gain access to the rear of your water heater (usually thru a cabinet, false panel, or similar from inside the RV) or do you have a plumbing station?

This thread may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1051613
Yes I know how to get to it
Old 02-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Yes I know how to get to it
Check your valve positions, particular the bypass valve that ties the cold and hot water lines together for winterization purposes. I bet you may find the valve is in the wrong position, or not fully closed.

it's easy to confuse the position of the valve, since the water line is usually running vertical for this valve. The link I provided, as well as the diagram Ford Idaho shows above, shows how you want the valve to be. Let us know what you find, or if you can take a pic of it all to post.

Thanks

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #6

I will have to check it, i thought it was correct but it is different from my lance. I appreciate the input guys.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
I will have to check it, i thought it was correct but it is different from my lance. I appreciate the input guys.
There are actual pics in the link from post #2 here that may help you.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #8

That did it, had the bypass turned the wrong direction. It will scald you now thanks again guys....
Old 02-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
That did it, had the bypass turned the wrong direction. It will scald you now thanks again guys....
Thanks for reporting back. Not everyone does. We like it when a plan comes together!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #10

No problem, i really appreciate it....
Old 02-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Glad it's fixed.

Probably the #1 easily fixed RV issue, especially after winter.
RV got winterized and no one changed it back.
Happens a lot to new owners, where the dealer failed to go over the WH bypass valve procedure or they don't un-winterize the unit before pickup.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Glad you got it solved. Come springtime, this will be one of the most asked questions on the forums, as everyone starts dewinterizing their RV's for camping season.

I should take the opportunity and welcome you to the forums.

Not knowing your RV experience, nor your model of water heater. this FAQ could also be helpful, if you have the Suburban water heater with an outside ONLY switch for the 120 volt AC electric heating element. Many dealers neglect to go over this in a customer PDI and only explain the propane/dsi part of the water heater.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

Old 02-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #13

way to go FRF
this is one of the great reasons product sites exist.....
thanks for the info (i didn't even have a problem) haha
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #14
Site Team

This is a little tidbit to file away in the back of the brain, which can also cause the same problem later in your RV life. If your RV is equipped with an outdoor shower, and has an on/off button on the shower wand itself....you must make sure that you turn the actual hot and cold water taps off when finished...and not just at the handheld wand (if equipped with an off/on button).

If you leave the taps on (but the handheld wand off). this also allows cold water to be pulled into the hot water line...when you turn on a tap elsewhere in the RV (like the shower or a sink). Basically works just like the bypass valve you just corrected.

Make sure to turn off the outdoor shower at the taps themselves.....if your wand can be turned off at the head.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:53 AM   #15

This forum is a god-send! We use it all the time and our questions are always answered quickly and correctly!

Tags
heater, water, water heater