Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #1

Water Heater Rod

Trying to find an easy way to drain the water heater on the 5th wheel and my wife's old camper had a little valve on the end of the magnesium rod that you would open to drain the water heater instead of taking the entire rod out. Is there such a thing or did her old Coachman not have a mag rod?? Just curious how folks drain their water heater every trip. Thanks

Perry
Super6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
FLY4FUN

Water Htr "Drain Valve"

...well, I don't drain after every trip -- just once per year @ winterizing time, but that's just me(?). Of course, I sanitize carefully at season's beginning and always flush well @ first of each trip. OK, that said, there's a "rod" available that does have a drain valve integral & it does make it easier (less messy) to drain...and, if I were draining often, I'd sure opt for one rather than taking the anode rod in/out again and again. ...best I recall they're not much more expensive than the regular anodes.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Site Team

You can always use something like this if you have an Atwood WH.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11533-A...gateway&sr=8-1

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super6 View Post
Trying to find an easy way to drain the water heater on the 5th wheel and my wife's old camper had a little valve on the end of the magnesium rod that you would open to drain the water heater instead of taking the entire rod out. Is there such a thing or did her old Coachman not have a mag rod?? Just curious how folks drain their water heater every trip. Thanks

Perry

she may not have had the corrosion rod in her old camper. you also do not need to drain your water heater after every trip.

Center bottom plug, need socket and ratchet. remove plug and open 'pressure release valve' (center top) to allow air to get into tank. When done draining, try to flush out debris (calcium) from tank. Close pressure release valve and 'tap' on the valve end to 'seat' the valve.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #5

Flybob, That is exactly what she has on her old camper.

Brother Les, If you were married to my wife you would surely empty the tank every trip :-)

We have a 2018 Puma Unleashed Toy Hauler. Anyone know what type of water heater it has. We have it stored for a few weeks.

Thanks for all the replies. Would love to find one if possible
Old 08-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #6

The drain/rod shown by Flybob looks to be easy to use to drain water for short term drains. There will still be a calcium and other crud build up in the bottom of the tank over time. Not pleasant to think about. Me/myself and I would still remove the plug and try to flush the crud out of the tank bottom at least at the end of the season.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #7

I read some where or was told by a Suburban Tec not to use rods with a drain attachment. This wasn't a kid either!
Old 08-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Take your pick...

Petcock/Anode Rod Drain

I would still recommend you remove it completely and flush and drain at the end of each season or once a year.

Here's what happened to my Uncle's Atwood/Dometic aluminum tank with a petcock drain. He got lazy and only used the petcock. Minerals finally eat away at the tank and it ruptured while boondocking on just the water pump pressure!
Paper thin at the rupture. The rupture was oriented on the bottom with the tank installed in his motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atwood_tank_rupture.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	211694  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

Hey,

hanks for all the replies guys. Really appreciate it.

Tags
heater, water, water heater