Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #21

I can't believe that a campground could possible have 140 psi coming out of what is a essentially a spigot. NO WAY. My whole town is under 60 psi and that is flowing through 8" mains.
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney View Post
I can't believe that a campground could possible have 140 psi coming out of what is a essentially a spigot. NO WAY. My whole town is under 60 psi and that is flowing through 8" mains.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	199477
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney View Post
It doesn’t matter what size the main is. In fact, it is common for smaller mains to have a higher water pressure than larger mains because smaller mains with a pressure equal to that of larger mains cannot supply the same volume of water. The higher pressure of a small main can produce the same volume as a larger main with a lower pressure. Some electricians (Cavie) might even understand this theory because it is very similar to the way electricity works.

It is very common for a water company to increase the pressure in their system to compensate for demand that wasn’t expected when a system was designed years ago without thought for future development. In this case, the smaller, older mains will have a higher pressure than a newer system that is built with consideration for expansion. This is exactly why the pressure range is so big in the area I work in — hundreds to thousands of newer homes have been built and added onto some of these systems that were put into the ground in the 1940s and earlier — other, newer houses are on systems that were designed and built from the 1990s to today. The houses on the older systems are those with the highest water pressure.

Bruce
Old 03-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #24

If it's the same campground I've been to, what I was told is it sits adjacent to a lift station or pump station. You are warned when you arrive to use a pressure regulator.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #25
Just as confused as you

Anything over 45 psi makes the water shoot out of the bowl of my toilet when its flushed. I don't want to see what would happen if I didn't use a regulator with 140 psi supply pressures.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, water