Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Wax-Buffer or Hand

Hello all

I have a 2015 Georgetown 351DS that I hand waxed last year. Not only was it very labor intensive but took forever. I was debating on using a 10 inch buffer. Does anyone have any experience using a buffer on an RV. Cons??

Thanks

Mr. G
MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #2

We use two buffers one to take the wax off and one to buff it out. 42' fifth wheel takes us around 6 hours. Great results and a lot less labor intensive.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #3

Our previous unit was a 2007 Georgetown XL 326DS and I waxed 'by hand.' Now, that I've grown older, I use Meguiar's dual-action polisher (Model G110v2) whilst standing on an adjustable height (sheet-rock) scaffolding.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #4

I use an orbital to remove, but use my hand to apply. But I sure don't have anything as large as a motorhome and if I did, I would most likely use the orbital to apply and remove; just changing the covers (they make different covers for applying and removing).

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #5

Hand wash and hand wax. Of course I pay somebody; I could never do it myself.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:19 AM   #6

I wash by hand, but spray on soap with a Kartcher Detergent Bayonet Detergent Foamer attachment which sprays on the detergent foam with a very gentle spray. I have used Meguire's Gel wash, and Thetford RV wash and Thetford awning cleaner. This speeds up the washing portion of the job, and the foam is applied with less water pressure than a garden hose. (I would never use the force of the pressure washer on the camper itself.) Tough spots use Thetford Bug Bust spray. Wheels are cleaned with Meguiar's aluminum wheel cleaner. After making sure all the grime and soap is rinsed away (using either soft brush and/or microfiber towels, I wax the camper by hand using Meguire's Pure Wax and buff with clean microfiber towels. Afterwards is a good time to spray on slide-out lubricant and seal protector and treat the tires with Meguire's Hot Shine spray. The work detailing the camper (and my truck) is a relaxing way to spend a Sunday afternoon in my driveway and garage. I would only change to a machine buffer if my body protested too much from the hand-detailing work or I get a much larger camper.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wax