Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #1

WDH Spring Bars

I was at a dealership last night looking at new trailers. The salesman asked what I was going to tow a trailer with. I told am I was using 2005 ford F150. I told him my max hitch weight is 990 pounds using a WDH. He said it sounds like I have 1000 pound spring bars on it and I said yes. Then the salesman says I can simply put 1200 pound spring bars on my WDH and that will increase your hitch weight capacity by spreading the additional weight onto the tow vehicle and trailer. Correct me if I'm wrong but this will simply be putting more weight on my front axle of the tow vehicle and the rear axle of the trailer? He then assured me that if I used 1200 pound spring bars I could tow a trailer that has a hitch weight of 1100 pounds and still be legal and within the specs of my WDH. I currently tow a 2011 Wildwood 26TBSS, with a hitch weight of 860 pound which is near the max. Is the salesman blowing smoke up someone's canal?
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #2

Sounds like it to me, hitch weight is hitch weight, but I'll definitely be following along for the math-heads responses and opinions.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #3

WDH Spring Bars

It sounds to me he knows what he's talking about. There are numerous ways to distribute loads, one being a WDH. I'm sure you will get numerous responses on this site, some being based on fact and some being opinion based.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The only way to really tell what your hitch weight is using a WDH, is to have it weighed. The weight bars will relieve the hitch weight some as the "weight" is transferred to the front axles of the truck. A dry hitch weight of 800lbs may only have a distributed hitch weight of 700lbs. (as example only) So you could possibly exceed your hitch rating (at dry weight), but be under with a WDH. This is a fine line you are approaching, and as I stated, if you are that close, definitely get some real life measurements. You also have to be careful not to lighten your tongue weight too much, this will have adverse affects.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
Then the salesman says I can simply put 1200 pound spring bars on my WDH and that will increase your hitch weight capacity by spreading the additional weight onto the tow vehicle and trailer. Correct me if I'm wrong but this will simply be putting more weight on my front axle of the tow vehicle and the rear axle of the trailer? He then assured me that if I used 1200 pound spring bars I could tow a trailer that has a hitch weight of 1100 pounds and still be legal and within the specs of my WDH.
Absolutely false. Typical salesman. (I do have to agree with AquaMan here, it's POSSIBLE, but very unlikely that you could pull it off. Regardless, a blanket statement from a dealer saying you can automatically increase capacity this way is dishonest at best). While your hitch could handle it, other components probably can't. That limit "with WDH" has nothing to do with spring bars (or very little). That limit has more to do with the receiver and related components on the truck. Your hitch has a different set of max numbers which are completely independent. Your WDH most likely will handle up to 10,000 lbs trailer weight, but your truck won't for instance. All the spring bar swap will do is adjust for the TW giving you a stiffer ride to handle a heavier trailer up front. While it may transfer a little more weight off the hitch, it doesn't mean you can put 1100 lbs down on it and, to get it below 990, it may have to be cranked so tight you have driveabilty issues. Honestly, if you're maxing out at 990 TW on your truck, 1000 lb bars will be just fine as long as they're adjusted properly. You COULD upgrade receivers and increase capacity that way, but you'll most likely be over your payload max at that point, so I wouldn't bother.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Absolutely false. Typical salesman. (I do have to agree with AquaMan here, it's POSSIBLE, but very unlikely that you could pull it off. Regardless, a blanket statement from a dealer saying you can automatically increase capacity this way is dishonest at best). While your hitch could handle it, other components probably can't. That limit "with WDH" has nothing to do with spring bars (or very little). That limit has more to do with the receiver and related components on the truck. Your hitch has a different set of max numbers which are completely independent. Your WDH most likely will handle up to 10,000 lbs trailer weight, but your truck won't for instance. All the spring bar swap will do is adjust for the TW giving you a stiffer ride to handle a heavier trailer up front. While it may transfer a little more weight off the hitch, it doesn't mean you can put 1100 lbs down on it and, to get it below 990, it may have to be cranked so tight you have driveabilty issues. Honestly, if you're maxing out at 990 TW on your truck, 1000 lb bars will be just fine as long as they're adjusted properly. You COULD upgrade receivers and increase capacity that way, but you'll most likely be over your payload max at that point, so I wouldn't bother.
Thanks, I thought that by simply putting heavier spring bars on the WDH would not allow one to tow a heavier trailer with out some trade offs, (safety). Yes, the only trailers I am looking at are within my TW of 990 with the WDH.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote