Old 07-29-2008, 04:02 AM   #31
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
we camped at myrtle beach last week and i talked with anther FR TT owner that had a carlisle blowout on his trip to the beach. it didnt damage a lot but the tire and all were safe, thankfully
That's strange, while we were at Myrtle Beach a week before that, one street over from us there was a 5th wheel that came in and had blew the right front tire, it had damaged the trim around the wheel well and the electric brake wiring as well as leaving black marks around the wheel well. I saw the tire in the back of the pick-up, It look like the seam where the tire was molded together split open.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #32

Most tire failures on RV's are due to age and lack of constant use. RV's that have constant use keep the Juices (so to speak) flowing in the tire and the rubber stays pliable and lubricated. That's why automotive tires have less tendency to fail regardless of inflation pressures. When I used my RV constantly I never had a failure on a tire until the tires were replaced after 10 years of use. Now, I replace my tires every 5-6 years or if I see ANY evidence of deterioration (cracks along the bead, on the sidewall or between tread lines). If i see any of the above they all get replaced. I made that mistake once and had a tire failure on the unused spare I put on after it hung (covered) for 8 years on the back of the RV. I got cheap and paid for it in underbody RV damage and a destroyed wheel.

Tires on RV's are exposed to a completely different type of stress than those on an automobile. Just take a look at them if you stop in the middle of a tight turn. Stress to RV tires is more side to side and twisting motion. That is why you must use ST type tires and not automotive tires. The cord is designed and distributed differently (supposed to be). I suspect that cheaper RV tires (Chinese) are not always correctly manufactured and fail more often.

Underinflation is a tire killer. You can get away with 10% overinflation but never underinflation. Traveling from higher altitude to lower altitude can make a profound difference in tire inflation. Your tires should be checked and properly inflated ASAP after major altitude changes of 6-10K ft. Again, you can get away with the pressure increases that occur when increasing altitude but not the other way around. Add the fact that when you decrease altitude you also usually experience increased ambient temperatures and you have a recipe for failure at highway speeds.

Travel Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #33
As for replacement tires i like goodyear marathon tires
michael t cayouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #34
Site Team - Lou
Also a new member of the Blow Out Club

C rated Carlisle ST225/75R/15
50 PSI cold checked prior to departure
Recent CAT scale "in limits" weight
1 year and 15 days old.
I-495 around D.C.
Changed it on the shoulder (shudder)

Lost the plastic trim around the wheels.
DENT in FRAME! (WTH do they make that out of? No wonder they DO NOT recommend frame hitches in the Ultra-Light series!)

Just a loud "Pop." No pull. (Just a feeling like we were passed by a truck)
I told DW that I thought a truck had blown a tire. Then I thought... What if its me? So I did a precautionary stop on the shoulder. Yep, it WAS me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Blow Small.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	2762  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #35
Another member of the club 3X

I just had my 3rd Carlisle blow-out in a month.

I check my tires regularly as I worked at a service station and am familiar with potential tire problems. In July, one of the tires blew out. It was a sudden and complete blow-out, with tread and sidewall damage. The tire in front of it was not damaged in anyway. I could find no debris, but thought it was possibly the cause. I purchased a replacement Carlisle tire and installed it. This past week, on Aug 7, while traveling on vacation in NY, a 2nd tire blew out. I was very surprised. It was one of the originals as well, and was completely destroyed. This time, the only nearby dealer on a Sat afternoon did not carry Carlisle, so I bought a Westlake tire for the spare. Today, on the return trip to NH, a 3rd tire blew out in the exact same fashion. These tires are not dry rotted, they have plenty of tread, and I check the air regularly-in fact I confirmed them this AM before leaving. Of the 5 Carlisle tires on this camper, 3 have blown-out in less than a month. I've owned campers for over 15 years, and have NEVER had a blow-out. This appears to be a defective lot.

Has anyone had success working with Carlisle on replacements?

Bob & Laura Langlois
2004 FR Shamrock 25BH
2002 Suburban
Bob Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
Bob, are these Carlisles the original tires on your Shamrock? I see it's an '04 model, but is the actual build date on the trailer? The reason I mention this, your trailer may have been built in '03. If that is the case, your tires would be 7 years old. A lot of folks go by the 5 year rule when it comes to their tires. Replace them when the tires are 5 years old.
2011 Chevrolet K2500HD w/ Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Husky W/D hitch
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini-Lite
Nights camped 2010: 21
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #37
I can only assume they are originals. I bought the trailer in 2008, it had hardly been used. If so, I agree, they could be 7 years old. Still, is it not odd to have 3 of them go in such a short time? I'm thankful they did not go in the middle of the Adirondack trip last year!

Bob & Laura Langlois
2004 FR Shamrock 25BH
2002 Suburban
Bob Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #38
I also had a blowout a couple of months ago on my
TT. It was a Goodyear product. The TT is new to me so I don't know the history of the tire. I was not comfortable finishing my trip home without a spare so I searched on my phone for a tire dealer and replaced the spare...took 3 hours before I got back on the road!
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

2003 Nash 19B
2000 F-150
Days camped so far in 2010... 20
Pourme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #39
I have an 09 Flagstaff 26rbss no blowout yet but am talking w/ dealer about Carlisle st205-14 w/sidewalls cracking after about 450 miles. Just returned from another 400 mile trip and have 2 more doing the same thing! Waiting to hear on the first before deciding what to do.
15 Flagstaff 26RLWS
08 Silverado 1500 Crew
dlc49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #40
Oxygen is a bigger molecule

Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
I haven't heard of running cooler but I have read that pure nitrogen doesn't bleed out as quickly as plain air. The O2 in plain air permeats (sp) the rubber of the tire quicker than the nitrogen. As air pressure in your tire decreases then the temp would increase. So maybe that's the selling point?

I just keep my tire pressure checked and use regular air. It's cheaper.
I don't recall my periodic chart very clearly, but isn't oxygen a larger molecule than nitrogen? If something is going to leak it's going to be the skinny cousin.

I also do not understand why adding nitrogen to gasoline (Shell stations) would do diddly squat.

2011 Georgetown 320DS new June 2010
days camped in 2010: 61
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote