Originally Posted by WildThings
First time posting and first tour with our 25 foot TT. Wondering how late in the Fall is too late to try to visit Yellowstone? Is leaving the park as late as mid Oct 15th reasonable or too risky?
It's a weather risk. It could be great, or it could be miserable. For a first visit to Yellowstone, I would risk it. But only with a bunch of contingency plans in my back pocket.
- Make sure everywhere you plan to camp is open that late. Make sure they have water available that late in the season (or carry water with you). Are your water tank and water lines close enough to the bottom of the camper that you can be assured they won't freeze on a 25 degree night?
- Do you have enough battery to keep the heater going for 2 nights? Can you live with the thermostat set at 50 degrees?
- I80 in Wyoming is notorious for getting shut down (the road is literally closed for a hundred miles or more) for high winds and blowing snow. Not likely before 15 Oct, but it can happen. Have an alternate plan - even if it's turning around and going home - and activate it the minute the warnings go up. Be prepared for getting stuck (extra time off, money for food and lodging, and things like that) for 2-3 days should be a part of your contingency plan.
Most important when things deteriorate are a positive attitude, and a willingness to say, "this trip just wasn't meant to be". Turn tail and head home, or leave early when bad weather is forecast, and live to camp another day.
Realistically, chances are that none of the above will happen to you, and you will have a great time. But you have to be prepared.
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend (or week) at a time