Old 07-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Weekend Warrior Not Ready for Battle...

We sent my parents off this am as they were on their way to Mill Creek COE on Tablerock lake at my suggestion based on comments and photos found here. Really wish we were going too. The one thing that I also realized is that only camping on the weekends has major disadvantages. All the good spots are never available!!! I am going to need to start booking 6 months early for each month!!! its crazy...guess thats what you get for working with two kids. I am sure eveyones been there. Looking forward to our next Planned trip over labor day. A few weeks ago I booked a site for next weekend only to find out that my wife just abosolutly has to go dress shopping with a pack of other women for my brothers wedding......wait for October!!!! Guess we get a credit or something. The oldest starts school in Sept and things are now just going to start getting more complicated. Waiting on our house to be finished at somepoint this summer........Lots of reasons to get out into the woods and spend time with the family away from Ipads, Computers, Phones, TV and other everyday goodies.

Got to go back to work tommorow and have to travel (not the good kind) this week. Ugh. Bright side is I bought a nice steak for dinner and have a little Jim Beam left.

Sorry Rant over.

2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Ahh, but savor the Jim Bean!

I too hate that you have to know your entire summer/fall camping itinerary by about January 5 every year to have any chance of getting in state parks and c.o.e's for spur of the moment weekend getaways.

2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Same for us. But it's better than not camping at all. Here in Indiana, the SPs fill up every weekend. But hey, that means they're getting used, and I'd rather see that than the parks never being visited.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
For state parks in Wisconsin, you have to book 11 months in advance, or you won't get an electric site for the weekend. There is an antiquated law on the books that only 30% of the sites in any park can be electrified. Lobbied by the private campground owners eons ago. And no one seems to want to change the law. I suspect all the politicians are getting their palms greased, hence no rush to change the law to accommodate the growing number of camping families.
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote