Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Sitting on the ground next to the camper
Not a problem. Just take the weight of the WDH and spring bars off of the previously calculated tongue weight, and that is your actual tongue weight....should be around 400 to 420 lb. total tongue weight.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Not a problem. Just take the weight of the WDH and spring bars off of the previously calculated tongue weight, and that is your actual tongue weight....should be around 400 to 420 lb. total tongue weight.
That's great news -- I was getting all set to start distributing my stuff more towards the back of the trailer to take a little weight off the tongue! Sounds like I'm right about where I want to be...
Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #23
Got mtn bike?

Looks as if you went all out on your full set of measurements.
Here's my single weight ticket of my F250 4x4 single cab and my Rockwood 2904SS.
Trailer was for the most part empty, with and 1 adult and 70 lb dog in the truck.
ddavis662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis662 View Post
Looks as if you went all out on your full set of measurements.
Driving a Honda Ridgeline, a "disadvantaged" tow vehicle, had me wanting to know for sure where I was at with respect to the truck's limits. That, plus I had to satisfy my engineering curiosity with how the WDH was working! lol
Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #25

Pass the Advil please.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

You know that this is not rocket science, right?

I mean rocket science is far easier to understand...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #27

Thanks for posting your numbers. Since purchasing our 2306 in December of 2010, I've had concerns about the capacity of my tow vehicle, a Toyota Tacoma V6 with the tow package.

My numbers are roughly the same as yours. We weigh out at about 4400 lbs. with cargo and our combined weight. The Tacoma is rated to tow 6500 lbs and weighs 5200 pounds, so the combined trailer and tv weight is around 9600 lbs. which is well below the tv's max gross weight of 11,000 lbs.

Still, I am very careful when towing the tt with the tv because I feel that I am close to pushing the limits of the Tacoma. The Tacoma pulls nicely, but you can tell the tt is back there, even with the Equalizer WDH, rated at 1000/10,000. It also does okay going up long inclines in the hills of Pennsyltucky, but I'm not setting any speed records. Never-the-less, I remained concerned about the wear and tear on the tv when towing and, after experiencing some of the wild-eyed mountain passes in the Rockies and the Sierra Nevada range, I would not want to experience them while towing my tt with the Tacoma.

That said, so far, so good. The Tacoma is well-built, sturdy and reliable. I want to keep it that way.
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkconfer View Post
The Tacoma is rated to tow 6500 lbs and weighs 5200 pounds, so the combined trailer and tv weight is around 9600 lbs. which is well below the tv's max gross weight of 11,000 lbs.
I am sure you meant Combined Weight; not GVWR.

Have you weighed the tacoma and camper together as in post 16? pg_rider has it exactly right how to do it. Combined weight is not the only number you should know. Not saying you are over; just saying you should know...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #29

Gk, I too wonder about wear and tear on my Ridgeline. After our trip home from picking up our rig in Ohio, plus two camping trips, I feel like the Ridgeline is already loosening up a little. lol It's probably all in my head, but I swear there's a little slop in the tranny that didn't used to be there, and a little creakiness in the body as well. Time will tell how she holds up...
Old 04-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #30

Yes, thanks Herk. My nomenclature shows that I am still a technical rookie at this, but you understand what I meant. I am fairly certain that my rig and setup is within range, but I'm also glad that I didn't get anything heavier than the 2306. I would be looking at a bigger tv by now.

I really like my Tacoma as a utility vehicle, and it gets decent gas mileage....16 around town and 22 on the highways. That's what I would sacrifice if I traded up for a Tundra or similar V8...certainly more power and towing capacity but lower mpg except for the towing part. It seems that averaging 10 mpg while towing is what you can expect no matter the setup. And with gas prices rising into the stratosphere, our travel plans are being reassessed as I write.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Gk, I too wonder about wear and tear on my Ridgeline. After our trip home from picking up our rig in Ohio, plus two camping trips, I feel like the Ridgeline is already loosening up a little. lol It's probably all in my head, but I swear there's a little slop in the tranny that didn't used to be there, and a little creakiness in the body as well. Time will tell how she holds up...
Yeah, I think you're probably right. Early on, I was reading something into every squeak and creak but got over it and now sit back to enjoy the ride. You will love your 2306. We do because it fits our needs perfectly at present. We'll reassess if and when grandchildren enter the picture. And it better be sooner than later, darnit.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #32

I also just weighed my rig on the CAT scale yesterday. First, weighed both TV & TT together (cost $9.50) and then went back the next day for an extra $1.00 and weighed my new truck separatly. The difference is the true TT weight. When weighing everthing together, it doesn't tell you how much is tongue wt. and transferred to back axle of TV.

Today I called the state of FL DOT weigh station near my location and they said they could also do this for FREE...
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags