Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #1

weighing the pro and cons new TT delivered or driving to Indiana

Ok
we live in Kansas and when I order our TT we thought for the $880 they would deliver it to my house.

My wife thinks that for the price, it is worth it.

I on the other hand thank that even though we would have to use vaction time.... no we are to young to be retired.... and we would have to pay for gas down and back.

There are the advatages;
of seeing the factory,

being there so if there happends to be a problem we can have it delt with,

I can have a WDH installed correctly with my TT right there,

I can get a quality walk around tour of my new trailer

what do you think or have to add?

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #2

The one thing you didn't mention,

I would go get it so that I could do my own final inspection right there on the spot.

If they deliver it to you and there is a bunch of stuff wrong with it, it only makes it that much more difficult to get it all fixed.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #3

I agree with Mr. Black. Go get it and do a thorough inspection on the lot. Once you are satisfied, you can then use it on the way back home. Sure you will need to put things in it but can always stop by a Wal mart somewhere and get what you need.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #4

I would definitely go get it ... Sure you will spend some money for gas but that is part of the excitement and a trip to boot !
Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Albuquerque, NM

Definitely take the trip! We drove 3,000+ miles round-trip to pick up our new unit this past August. If there is one problem with the unit that would require it to be returned to the factory for repair, that alone could cost you more than the stated delivery charge. Aside from all of the reasons you state & getting to take a trip and using your new camper on the return, you will also have certainty and piece of mind. For all of the 'stuff' you've gotta have, you can buy it and take it with (which is what we did), or as stated by others, there are lots of places to buy the necessities.

Charlie
2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Char_n_Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #6

I'd like to take the trip and your points are noted, however I just got an email from my sales person with RV direct who states they don't install WDH and refered me to someone down the road. Any thoughts? I thought the TV and TT had to be there at same time to hook up correctly???

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

nights camped 2010 6
Old 10-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegr8katz View Post
I'd like to take the trip and your points are noted, however I just got an email from my sales person with RV direct who states they don't install WDH and refered me to someone down the road. Any thoughts? I thought the TV and TT had to be there at same time to hook up correctly???

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
For proper set up you should have the trailer and TV at the same place, both loaded like you will be towing when camping. You can get close by knowing the exact coupler height of your trailer, but towing that distance with a set up not quite right is not something that I would do.

You say that the person to set it up is "down the road". If that means down the road from the dealer, maybe they will come to the dealer and set it up.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #8

Anyone here bought from RV direct and arrived with out having the WDH installed?

nights camped 2010 6
Old 10-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #9

If the dealer is within 5-10 minutes of the place which will install the WDH, I do not see any harm in towing the trailer there without the wdh and sway control. Once I forgot my wdh bars when I went to pick up my trailer and towed it home, slowly and very carefully, for 20 minutes. just do not get your speed up or get onto an interstate etc. For really short local distances you should be ok without the WDH, as long as the tong weight of your trailer does not exceed the raw rating of your hitch receiver without wdh equipment.

10 minutes, yeah I would do it without WDH, half an hour and I would ask the dealer to take the trailer there.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #10

I installed the WDH myself, it was not that difficult. I drove from Texas to RV Direct in Elkhart. I did the acceptance instection with their delivery person. Only thing I found was the heated bed control was missing. They ordered it and it was at my home in Texas before I got there. I backed my truck into their building (it is not a very big place) and did the final adjustments to the WDH. The TT towed great back to Texas. After the TT was loaded for camping I had to readjust the WDH. Setting up the WDH is not a one time thing. As you change the loading of the TV and TT it is sometines neccessary to readjust the WDH. Might as well learn to do it know. I have the Equalizer 4 point sway control 10000 pound WDH. In Elkhart after I had readjusted the WDH I called the Help number in the installation book. I gave them my measurements and they agreed they seemed correct, they were very helpfull. There is a ton of help on this forum. We were all inexperienced at one time. If you have questions PLEASE ASK that is what this forum is all about, helping each other. AND

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #11

Don't forget that you have no idea who might be delivering your trailer. When we picked ours up at the dealer in Minneapolis, he said they quite often see trailers come in with damage or parts missing, lord knows why.
We got lucky, as he said ours was one of the cleanest he has seen in a long time, both factory perfect and not abused by the delievery guy.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #12

Initially, we were going to have our TT delivered, which is a 610 mile one way trip. But we were anxious, and the dealer's next available driver was not available for another 4 days. Since we already took time off from work, we decided to drive and pick it up.

Great decision, never regretted it. We stayed in a campground a few miles from the dealership for two days, trying out all items on the TT.
We had a blast!

If we found anything that needed attention, we would have brought it back to them...

We never did, everything worked as it should have

Good luck!
wayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #13

Outstanding! It's allways fun when everything works out.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegr8katz View Post

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
I was afraid they didn't install hitches there may be more than one hitch place in Elkhart but I know there is a place between where RV-Direct lot is & the Good Sam Elkhart Campground. I only bought some parts there but it appeared they know what they were doing. If you need me to I can look the name of the place up for you. What brand of & what type of hitch are you thinking of getting & do you have a good place near you to buy it?

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #15

yes,
there is a trailer manufacture here in Lawrence that can install it and hook everything up correctly with my TT.

The wife doesn't want to drive to Indiana and for $880 bucks that is a deal, I am still waiting to find out from RVDirect, about taking delivery on a delivered item. How well any problems be address and so on. Once again waiting............. I might need to place a call.

I guess I better watch what I say on here as last time My post was forward to the sales person............ NICE
I well say it again, this is a great place to get ideas and suggestions, but why can't we all just act like adults, no need to run and tell the teacher!

nights camped 2010 6
Old 10-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #16
Site Team

For a 650 mile trip I'd personally go pick it up. It's not the $880 but the onsite inspection that will get you the greatest benefit. Remember, RV's aren't like automobiles. The dealers aren't required to work on a unit they didn't sell so if it arrives and something you can't fix yourself is wrong, it may be a real hassle getting it repaired.

If you go with the Equal-i-zer or the Reese Straight-line (Dual-Cam) hitch they're both "not too difficult" to adjust onsite if you get the ball height correct when installing them.

As for watching what you say because someone "forwarded" your post to the salesman. That may not have happened. A lot of salesmen (and women) monitor these boards and can see anything you post, without anyone having to forward it to them.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #17

Bama Rambler,
Maybe you can call and covince my wife that the trip is a good idea. LOL

Point taken about sales person reading post, however in my case the salesperson told me a former customer cut and pasted my coments and forwarded it to him........... nice right..... that is what I thought

nights camped 2010 6
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
Site Team

I'd be glad to try, but we both know how changing the DW's mind can be until SHE wants to change it!

There's no excuse for that! Having them come here and read it is one thing but to have someone forward it to them is just wrong. Sorry bout that!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #19

interesting

Well I spoke to RV Direct this am, and found out something interesting. I have read several post herin that have said I should travel to Indiana to pick up my trailer,that being the key "mytrailer."

I was told today that from the moment that the dealer in this case RV Direct request final payment during the build process. The trailer is mine. I well have a bill of sale and title mailed to me so that I can have a tag and insurance in hand if I traveled to Indiana.

So those of you that have told me that I would be able to do the final inspection and look the trailer over with a find tooth comb in Indiana are correct that I could do it there (as I could do that at my home) there maybe be avenues near there to have items corrected but bottom line weather I pick the trailer up in Indiana or have it delivered to my home in Kansas the TT is mine. Once fianl payment is made it is mine no backing out, no saying this and that isn't right, it is all warranty issues. Yes they may be able to correct things there but I am hopeful that on a new trailer there aren't too many of these things that I can't deal with once I get it.

There really isn't any final inspection. These TT are build for us with the guidelines of items ordered, a deposit has been collected. In a way we are buying these trialers blind.

I am just looking forward to getting this new trailer and being able to enjoy it. The price we are getting it at is unbeilevable, and no matter what, it is a huge step above our Jayco Pop up .

thanks for the great replys........

nights camped 2010 6
Old 10-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #20

Emptypockets here, as late in the season as it is getting I am starting to think your wife is right.

Keep in mind you are going from a pop-up to a travel trailer - the towing is different. If you have it delivered to get the feel of towing a TT your first trips could be short ones. Clinton Lake is very close by & we could try to hook up with you at Milford Lake.

Also, we are in IL now & it got down to 37 last night so frost is in the forecast. After we get back to north central KS if you needed some ones brain to pick I will be available.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote