Old 05-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #21
It sounds like you came across an informed and caring salesman that was putting your safety and well being before a sale. Well done.

Based on what you said, I agree that the unit is not suited for you. You need something a bit stronger.

The weight issue for cargo is about breaking the frame or axles. The weight towing cannot be added to the Cargo capacity. That only addresses what the power train can handle.

100 lbs of gear per person is a bit light in my opinion. It is amazing how much stuff people will bring even if they say they will pack light.

I would be looking for a unit with about another 1,000 lbs of cargo capacity. So a unit with around 2,700 lbs.

Enjoy the shopping, it really is a wonderful part of the RV experience.

Happy camping.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #22
Just an FYI, we're talking about a motorhome here. So breaking the axles and frame are not really something we see...even with overloaded units. Stopping is the main criteria for weight.

When Ford went from 20,000 lbs combined weight to 22,000 lbs combined...the difference was larger brakes and sway bar.

Towing does matter a bit. On a Class C with a 7500 lbs hitch you can tow the car and load the car or truck up with cargo. OP does not two, so it might not be an issue.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #23
Well now that we have that out of the way what could one possibly remove to lose some fat? We fell in love with the fully loaded model so I dont want to skip on the genset or auto level but we could get a 2 door fridge instead... does the 2 door come with an ice machine as an option? What other things could be removed that one wouldn't use very often? Thanks for your help so far guys!
300winmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #24
Why do you need to remove anything? Everyone says you're within specs

tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote