Old 03-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #21

I mention in original post the 7 pin and the brake control are installed. If not I meant to

Old 03-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #22
Moderators' Assistant

My apologies, I missed that.:banghead:

Poe, can you provide the numbers from the trailer's weight sticker.
here's how it should look:

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:26 PM   #23

Uh oh! My sticker indicates 3650. That's more than I thought. The seller showed me the manual and when I followed the model number over it's said 3380,he told me assume 3500 lbs. Both are incorrect. I never knew the sticker was there till today. So GCVW=8000lbs minus 3700 gives me 4300 for my explorer. I think the explorer weights 4500. I'm already 200 lbs over. I'll be 1000lbs over with people and another couple hundred with gear. I think I chewed up my factor of safety and then some. I'm going shopping for a diesel pickup so I don't have to deal with being at capacity
Old 03-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #24
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover Poe View Post
Uh oh! My sticker indicates 3650. That's more than I thought. The seller showed me the manual and when I followed the model number over it's said 3380,he told me assume 3500 lbs. Both are incorrect. I never knew the sticker was there till today. So GCVW=8000lbs minus 3700 gives me 4300 for my explorer. I think the explorer weights 4500. I'm already 200 lbs over. I'll be 1000lbs over with people and another couple hundred with gear. I think I chewed up my factor of safety and then some. I'm going shopping for a diesel pickup so I don't have to deal with being at capacity
Yep, that's what I was afraid of. Yours is near the size of mine and its empty UVW was over 4400lbs.
It was 400lbs over the brochure/website "dry" weight.

NEVER believe brochure/website weights. They are based on a stripped down version of the trailer and are fictional. NO trailer weighs its brochure/website dry weight when it leaves the factory.

That's why most of us were concerned. That's why we ignore "dry" weights ad ask for factory sticker weights.
Older trailers like yours and mine, have white weight stickers, inside the trailer.
Newer ones have yellow weight stickers, outside the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #25

Good luck on your hunt for a new TV. You'll rest much easier knowing you're not pushing limits. That's why we bought our Excursion. Just not enough margin.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #26

With the TV decision made (and a GOOD one too), you'll still want to make a good decision on WDH. I vote for Blue Ox. Good luck with your searches.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #27

Recommend you insure your tow vehicle can handle the load. My Ford Escape says it can handle 3500 lbs and my new TT weighs in at 3100 dry. After loading supplies (no water) estimate was at 3400-3500 lbs. While the Escape did tow the load, gas mileage was 8-9 mpg (at 63-65mph), sometimes road uncomfortably and sometimes felt uneasy in cross winds. Also Escape ran toward high temp on uphill grades. Now selling my 2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 1905 after one trip!
Old 04-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #28

Oh, forgot to mention I was using an Eaz Lift weight distribution hitch with a tongue capacity of 1000 lbs.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #29

Hitch Advice

Sorry to say but many who respond would tow with a semi tractor if possible, but to answer your question I would consider starting with:
1. An inexpensive weight distribution hitch - you can always upgrade should this turn into a real passion but you gotta have weight distribution with your setup. Harbor Freight and etrailer both offer entry level units in your price range.
2. Install a large transmission cooler if it's an automatic.
3. Amazon sells a number of extension mirrors for a lot less than etrailer if you don't have them.

If you have basic Reese WDH you can upgrade it with active sway control for not too much so you might consider starting in that direction.

Another thing to consider with your rig is excessive tongue weight so don't take the factories word for it and make yourself a scale with a 3 foot length of 2x6, a brick, and a bathroom scale. Put the bathroom scale at one end the brick at the other and the tongue jack midway. Whatever the scale reads x 2 and you have your tongue wt.

My little Roo came in at over 500 lbs unloaded and if I hadn't checked it out I certainly would have overloaded both my hitch and my tow vehicle.

Hope I don't sound too much like a know it all, because many times I've asked for advice and just gotten opinions instead.

Hope you have a great new adventure, Rob
Old 04-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #30

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburns7385 View Post
Recommend you insure your tow vehicle can handle the load. My Ford Escape says it can handle 3500 lbs and my new TT weighs in at 3100 dry. After loading supplies (no water) estimate was at 3400-3500 lbs. While the Escape did tow the load, gas mileage was 8-9 mpg (at 63-65mph), sometimes road uncomfortably and sometimes felt uneasy in cross winds. Also Escape ran toward high temp on uphill grades. Now selling my 2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 1905 after one trip!
If it were me, I'd sell the Escape.

PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight