Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
And he'll probably tow it like that for years- just like thousands of others do- and we'll likely never see a single one of them in an accident. And if we do happen to see one of them in an accident, odds are it will be the fault of the other driver who was texting while driving.
X2!
Old 05-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #22
Insert witty title here

Quote:
And he'll probably tow it like that for years- just like thousands of others do- and we'll likely never see a single one of them in an accident. And if we do happen to see one of them in an accident, odds are it will be the fault of the other driver who was texting while driving.
Even if you are 100% not at fault, I wager the insurance company and the police will not look too kindly on you and your overweight vehicle.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 05-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Even if you are 100% not at fault, I wager the insurance company and the police will not look too kindly on you and your overweight vehicle.
Will they even know? Unless a commercial rig is involved highly unlikely a DOT investigation would be done.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 05-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #24

But...

The (truck and or trailer) dealer said it would be ok. . .
Old 05-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Let me get this straight:

Driving under the influence. Illegal. Have a wreck. Insurance pays. Speeding. Illegal. Have a wreck while speeding. Insurance pays. Run a red light. Illegal. Have a wreck. Insurance pays. Exceed the GVWR sticker on a vehicle. Shown to be illegal in very few places-Iffy in some-No info on most-Very hard to prove after a wreck(I was told this by a retired LEO that actually works as an accident investigator now). Have a wreck. Insurance doesn't pay.

Sound about right???
Old 05-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #26
Insert witty title here

I never said your insurance wouldn't pay but IF it is discovered you are overweight there MAY be repercussions in the form of fines and surcharges just like the guy who speeds or runs a red light.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #27

The legal concern would be IF you were at fault and there serious injuries, a lawyer would make a big case out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
Old 05-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
The legal concern would be IF you were at fault and there serious injuries, a lawyer would make a big case out of it.

And that is my concern. It isn't the insurance coverage... it is the house, vehicles and savings I could lose from a potential lawsuit if I was in an accident and over weight. That and only that is the reason I won'the overload my truck. Has nothing to do with whether the truck can handle the extra 500 or 1,000 pounds towing.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:17 AM   #29

What about trucks running tunes or deletes? Could case be made a owner modification for excessive horsepower caused the accident and was the reason why?
Old 05-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
What about trucks running tunes or deletes? Could case be made a owner modification for excessive horsepower caused the accident and was the reason why?
What about lifts and large tires? VERY easy to make a case that those adversely affect handling and braking capabilities. Basically every wreck that has ever happened SOMEONE did something they shouldn't have or didn't do something they should have. Yet, it's very rare to hear of someone getting sued. Usually it's an insurance case and that's it. If you are extremely wealthy or are hauling for a company, you are more apt to be sued. However, if you're an average American worth less than a few hundred thousand in total net worth, it's VERY unlikely that a lawyer will waste his or her time with you. I guess sometimes it pays to be broke!!!
Old 05-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Let me get this straight:

Driving under the influence. Illegal. Have a wreck. Insurance pays. Speeding. Illegal. Have a wreck while speeding. Insurance pays. Run a red light. Illegal. Have a wreck. Insurance pays. Exceed the GVWR sticker on a vehicle. Shown to be illegal in very few places-Iffy in some-No info on most-Very hard to prove after a wreck(I was told this by a retired LEO that actually works as an accident investigator now). Have a wreck. Insurance doesn't pay.

Sound about right???
You must live cave somewhere.. If drunk gets in a accident and is brought into civil court and there is awards the against the drunk what happens is:

This List of how gets paid first..
1. The insurance get the amount of the claim repaid plus court cost if any.
2. The lawyer gets paid.
3. What is left over goes to the guy he hit.

No, they don't not denied paying the claim but recoup the cost of it if it goes to court.

As far as after market parts - Guess why they have a disclaimer on them. If there wasn't a chance of being sued for causing a accident they won't have them.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
Old 05-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
You must live cave somewhere.. If drunk gets in a accident and is brought into civil court and there is awards the against the drunk what happens is:

This List of how gets paid first..
1. The insurance get the amount of the claim repaid plus court cost if any.
2. The lawyer gets paid.
3. What is left over goes to the guy he hit.

No, they don't not denied paying the claim but recoup the cost of it if it goes to court.

As far as after market parts - Guess why they have a disclaimer on them. If there wasn't a chance of being sued for causing a accident they won't have them.

I don't know where you live, but I know people that have been involved in accidents due to all of those causes I've listed, and I've NEVER heard of anyone being sued to recoup the money from the insurance. That's the POINT of insurance. If it only covered claims that were NO ONE'S FAULT they would never cover anything!!!!
Old 05-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #33

Quote:
I don't know where you live, but I know people that have been involved in accidents due to all of those causes I've listed, and I've NEVER heard of anyone being sued to recoup the money from the insurance. That's the POINT of insurance. If it only covered claims that were NO ONE'S FAULT they would never cover anything!!!!
I sure glad I don't live in your state since some drunk could go down the street side swiping cars and cause hundreds of dollars in damage is not responsible for any of the damages and all he would get is maybe 250 dollar fine for driving drunk. Because it happened here and the judge found he responsible for all the damages.

I'm suppose in your state if he sues and win a million dollar lawsuit the insurance company only pays the 250,000 he still off the hook.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
Old 05-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I sure glad I don't live in your state since some drunk could go down the street side swiping cars and cause hundreds of dollars in damage is not responsible for any of the damages and all he would get is maybe 250 dollar fine for driving drunk. Because it happened here and the judge found he responsible for all the damages.

I'm suppose in your state if he sues and win a million dollar lawsuit the insurance company only pays the 250,000 he still off the hook.
Please elaborate on how to get a common drunk to pay for a million dollar settlement. BTW, I know of no state that has a $250 fine for drunk driving. The fine is much heftier than that. And, if a drunk was to kill someone they'd likely be tried for Involuntary Manslaughter. So there would be criminal charges.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #35
Always Learning

I feel like I've read this argument before.

Let me try to summarize it:
- Some people believe that pulling over your ratings open up your liability.
- Some people do not believe it.
- Some people believe that exceeding ratings is extremely unsafe.
- Some people believe that exceeding ratings (somewhere between a little and a lot) can be done safely.
- Some people believe other people should mind their own business.

Did I get it right? Otherwise, please... by all means- continue arguing where neither side will likely ever see the other's point.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I feel like I've read this argument before.

Let me try to summarize it:
- Some people believe that pulling over your ratings open up your liability.
- Some people do not believe it.
- Some people believe that exceeding ratings is extremely unsafe.
- Some people believe that exceeding ratings (somewhere between a little and a lot) can be done safely.
- Some people believe other people should mind their own business.

Did I get it right? Otherwise, please... by all means- continue arguing where neither side will likely ever see the other's point.
Ep, that horse is CLEARLY still alive because I can see his eyes moving. Avoiding senseless arguments is a sign of wisdom and I will endeavor to learn from your advice here.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #37

Quote:
What about lifts and large tires? VERY easy to make a case that those adversely affect handling and braking capabilities. Basically every wreck that has ever happened SOMEONE did something they shouldn't have or didn't do something they should have. Yet, it's very rare to hear of someone getting sued. Usually it's an insurance case and that's it. If you are extremely wealthy or are hauling for a company, you are more apt to be sued. However, if you're an average American worth less than a few hundred thousand in total net worth, it's VERY unlikely that a lawyer will waste his or her time with you. I guess sometimes it pays to be broke!!!
True. That's why the whole overweight and get sued argument is just not something that happens to Joe RV camper.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #38
Always Learning

Quote:
Ep, that horse is CLEARLY still alive because I can see his eyes moving.
I literally LOL'd.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #39

But you will be tommorrow....
Old 05-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #40

I know I guy who's car got stolen by a minor. The suit was against the parents...5 or 6 kids. No monies. No payback to victim or insurance. They did 1000s in damage. The award was $550 after legal fees. They will never see anything his insurance fixed his car.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Closed Thread

Tags
weight