Old 02-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #1

Weight violation on GSP

I discovered today that the GSP (Garden State Parkway) in New Jersey has a weight restriction.

I have used it several times before today but this trip I had my Good Sam GPS on and it kept informing me that I was in violation of the weight limits.

I didn't have a trip programed in, just using the map and not paying attention to it as it kept repeating "weight violation.) it took awhile for the warning to register with my grey matter.

Fortunately I was not stopped by PD.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

The Garden State Parkway is restricted from truck use, I always though that was commercial. I have used it with my popup and travel trailer when I towed with an SUV. Never really noticed if I was the only RV... Now it has me wondering..

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I discovered today that the GSP (Garden State Parkway) in New Jersey has a weight restriction.

I have used it several times before today but this trip I had my Good Sam GPS on and it kept informing me that I was in violation of the weight limits.

I didn't have a trip programed in, just using the map and not paying attention to it as it kept repeating "weight violation.) it took awhile for the warning to register with my grey matter.

Fortunately I was not stopped by PD.
I didn't notice any informational signs regarding weight. I did see some work type trailers.

I have made the trip a thousand times but only a few in an RV.

Saw one trooper on the median but I was fortunate he didn't bother with me.

Plan to take 22 and 202 on home bound trip.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:10 PM   #4

I did a Google search before heading back to PA. The weight limit is 7,000 pounds. Google also said that Some Chevy Suburbans are 8,000 pounds but the PD usually does not enforce yhe limit for passenger vehicles.

Bobby

Old 02-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #5

Not sure of the rules anymore but southern part marker 1 to ? North they allow 18 wheelers. And northern part is no commercial at all. As far as motor homes and buses I've never seen them stopped never herd of the weight limits.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #6

The weight restriction on the G.S.P. applies only to commercial vehicles.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #7

X2
Old 02-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by offduty11 View Post
The weight restriction on the G.S.P. applies only to commercial vehicles.
Well I hope you guys are correct but I found this on the NJTP AUTHORITY website. They also control the parkway. No mention of commercial vs. non commercial.

3. With the exception of vehicles holding a special permit, only New Jersey State Police vehicles, Authority maintenance vehicles and other Authority authorized vehicles, with a gross weight, G.V.W.R. and/or G.C.W.R. in excess of 10,000 pounds, shall be allowed on the Parkway north of Interchange 105, except that all vehicles in excess of 10,000 pounds are allowed on Ramp 7 in Woodbridge Township, Middlesex County for purposes of accessing the Turnpike.

It seems their written rules could be more specific.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #9

I did some more research on this weight limit fiasco. It seems to me that technically and legally the rule is legit north of Exit 105.

However, enforcement seems to have employed common sense. So I am thinking that as long as one drives somewhat responsibly one will not be bothered in a motorhome of pulling an RV trailer.

Personally for my destination in north central Jersey taking 202 to 22 is preferred EXCEPT for the PA section of 202 between Doylestown and NJ. That is another subject.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I did some more research on this weight limit fiasco. It seems to me that technically and legally the rule is legit north of Exit 105.

However, enforcement seems to have employed common sense. So I am thinking that as long as one drives somewhat responsibly one will not be bothered in a motorhome of pulling an RV trailer.

Personally for my destination in north central Jersey taking 202 to 22 is preferred EXCEPT for the PA section of 202 between Doylestown and NJ. That is another subject.
I just reached out to a close friend who is a N.J. Trooper who has worked the toll roads his 25 + years of service. Just waiting for him to get back to me and I will advise .

Tags
weight