Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #21

Another thing you could check in to is some Flying J truck stops have dump stations ($5 fee). I believe they have threaded hoses that can attach to your black tank rinse.

Keep in mind that when I rinse our tank, I often leave the rinse on for 20-30 min -- something you may not be able to do unless you are at a full hookup site.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Howie,

We usually camp with full hookups, so my method will differ from yours.

I dump black, then gray, then my galley. I then start the black tank flush and run it until the water is clear (I have a 2" clear insert in my sewer hose).

Typically, because of water & associated air pressure, you MUST do a black tank flush with your black tank valve open and hose connected to the sewer.

I do very similar, only difference for me is I run black tank flush before the grey tank dump. I also close the black valve for a few minutes to accumulate some water in the tank to assist with flushing out anything not liquid. No problems filling with the valve closed (for a short time) as long as you don't try to open anything else hooked to the black tank before the valve is reopened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I never can use black flush. Same issue with no connection at the dump station. I rely on chemical and adding fabric softener and water prior to driving for the next trip. This summer we will be Glamping with 3 weeks of full hook ups.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I never can use black flush. Same issue with no connection at the dump station. I rely on chemical and adding fabric softener and water prior to driving for the next trip. This summer we will be Glamping with 3 weeks of full hook ups.
Brian,

We'll just hook up your black tank rinse in Nashville and run it for about 10 hours straight...that should fix ya up
Old 05-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Sitting in line at the dump station today I saw this intelligent gentleman. He took the time to put on gloves, use his hose to dump his tanks then disconnect his hose and put it away. He then took the dump station hose and shoved it up his sewer pipe and invests time opened the black and grey tanks to run water in them and let the water run back out all over the pavement. No rinsing the pavement, just threw the gloves in the trash, rinsed hands with plain water and away he went. I was too chicken to suggest a clear elbow with a flush port.

So, if I understand your post, this guy flushed his effluent all over the dumpsite area and you thought it was amatuer hour. I suspect he is just a jerk that doesn't really care what he did.IMO
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #26

Hope I don't get in trouble with the Moderators.

Robin Williams, complete with cheering peanut gallery:

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
For those that have the black tank flush, when/where do you hook up to it? At home? At the campground dump station? I ask because the campgrounds we camp at, the hose that is there usually has metal (non threaded) nozzle clamped to the hose. There is no way to attach it to the black tank flush. This is my first camper to have the black tank flush so I am curious. We will be camping with full hook-ups in a few weeks. (that is rare for us) I guess I could hook up to it then.
Howie ,go buy a (Water Thief) and a hose clamp! Now you put that on the ends of Hoses that are (Cut off/No threads/or Stripped)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #28

I use a hose 'y' connector at the camper. Bought a 6' long black hose from home depot and connect it to the flush hookup.. More recently, because we never use the outside shower, and it is right next to the flush hookup, I bought a fitting to connect the shower hose to the flush. Can flush with hot or cold water, hooked up or on tank.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Howie ,go buy a (Water Thief) and a hose clamp! Now you put that on the ends of Hoses that are (Cut off/No threads/or Stripped)! Youroo!!

X2! We keep a Water Thief in our water tool kit. Haven't needed it (yet,) but it's there when and if.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:21 AM   #30

While camping a few years ago, the people in the site next to us bought a camper and had the dealer bring it to the campground. The guy asked several questions all weekend. When they were packing up to go home, he was standing holding up the sewer hose and was trying to rinse the inside with his fresh water hose. The boys and I were walking up to our camper from the lake when I noticed him doing this. He looked up as we approached and the water started splashing up into his face and mouth. As he stood there spitting, I started laughing and had to run to the camper. That was a gross lesson learned I'm sure.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #31

I would suggest that when using a black tank flush system, do not get distracted or walk away for what you think is a few seconds because baaaad things can happen if you leave the tank closed. Pressure builds up, water starts to run out of the trailer, wifey starts to yell and scream, you run to the black tank valve, pull it open and the hose that is attached to a screw on fitting in the ground comes out and flies up into the air like a rocket as far as the sewer hose will go because of pressure build up, spewing wet stuff all over anyone standing nearby. You will look around to see if anybody is watching, you will run into the trailer and start soaking up what thankfully was clear water because the dirty water had already been dumped and you were just rinsing. Towels, blankets and whatever else is used will then be put into garbage bags and secreted to a garbage bin and being soaking wet will weigh what feels like a ton. The management will wonder how come the bin is full when it was just emptied prior to some idiot dumping his tanks next to the garbage bin.....it was a barrel. Now I won't say that this was a personal experience but suffice it to say that it was a great learning experience. Keep your mind on what you're doing and heed some advice from a person who was up close and personal...oh did I give it away??????
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #32
Always Learning

Heh. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a timer when flushing my tanks.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
While camping a few years ago, the people in the site next to us bought a camper and had the dealer bring it to the campground. The guy asked several questions all weekend. When they were packing up to go home, he was standing holding up the sewer hose and was trying to rinse the inside with his fresh water hose. The boys and I were walking up to our camper from the lake when I noticed him doing this. He looked up as we approached and the water started splashing up into his face and mouth. As he stood there spitting, I started laughing and had to run to the camper. That was a gross lesson learned I'm sure.
Something like this?
Attached Images