Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #41
Erinn

Ya know what Shelley?! GOOD FOR YOU to drive the MH (yourself) to fill up w/propane & diesel, so DH didn't have to do it, when he got home! Your little "oops"falls under s**t happens! I'm a newbie & just starting to drive our MH - still kinda scary, so again, good for you cuz I wouldn't trust myself (yet) to go fill up without hubby there to make sure I didn't screw THAT up!
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Did you modify it with Forscan?

I want to disable the horn honk so when i get out to hook / unhook / etc. the horn doesn't keep honking.
I have the module to connect to the OBD port but haven't tried it yet.

Yes, used Forscan. Backup ALL of your as built modules first, which is the most time consuming part. Making the changes was easy! Much happier now. Changing the horn honk was to keep campground neighbors from shooting me as I hook-up in the morning!
One note, at least one of my changes required cycling the motor and open/closing doors before the change was active correctly....
Strongly recommend checking the Forscan thread on the F150 Forum - lot of good info and help. https://www.f150forum.com/showthread.php?t=348987
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #43

When it comes to hooking up and leaving I become somewhat paranoid. I spend two or three times as much time walking around and checking than it takes for the tasks. Got this from my dad when I was young and he was teaching me how to fly.

So far-------- (knock on wood).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #44

You are in good company. Had to move to another site in the campground. Slide in, awning In, water disconnected, got the rug, jumped in an started to roll. Thank goodness neighbor stoped me in time.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFunseekers View Post
Ya know what Shelley?! GOOD FOR YOU to drive the MH (yourself) to fill up w/propane & diesel, so DH didn't have to do it, when he got home! Your little "oops"falls under s**t happens! I'm a newbie & just starting to drive our MH - still kinda scary, so again, good for you cuz I wouldn't trust myself (yet) to go fill up without hubby there to make sure I didn't screw THAT up!
Great point. I agree.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #46
Shelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFunseekers View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses, and some of them are a scream! I particularly appreciated the response above because I felt so incredibly confident and "successful" after getting the diesel, then propane, and then ran errands in the MH in town. I do have to say, driving off plugged in has set my confidence back a bit.

However, hubby was a trooper and didn't get too bent out of shape. We bought a new male electrical connection that was on the RV side and hubby said it was easy peasy to install.

I want to know how to do *everything* my hubby does with the RV, after after owning our first MH for the past eighteen months, it's still an ongoing learning experience.

Thank you everyone and safe travels.
Shelley
Old 04-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #47

Bone head move

That’s called a seniors moment
Moorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #48

Lost gas cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrywife45 View Post
On our maiden voyage last month from NC to TX I lost the truck keys at a rest stop in Louisiana...........not a happy spouse. But yes, we had another set.
Pulled in to get gas, set gas cap on small bumper. We left and the gas cap stayed..
Bought a new cap with attached lanyard.

Have safe travels
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Yes, used Forscan. Backup ALL of your as built modules first, which is the most time consuming part. Making the changes was easy! Much happier now. Changing the horn honk was to keep campground neighbors from shooting me as I hook-up in the morning!
One note, at least one of my changes required cycling the motor and open/closing doors before the change was active correctly....
Strongly recommend checking the Forscan thread on the F150 Forum - lot of good info and help. https://www.f150forum.com/showthread.php?t=348987
I don't like the double honk either except it saved me once when we were launching our boat. I was already to hop in the boat and drive it off the trailer leaving my wife in the truck with out the fob. Now when we are in a campground setting up, I just leave the fob in the truck so it doesn't honk.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I don't like the double honk either except it saved me once when we were launching our boat. I was already to hop in the boat and drive it off the trailer leaving my wife in the truck with out the fob. Now when we are in a campground setting up, I just leave the fob in the truck so it doesn't honk.
Me too, although that does give me some pause, as well. Like i'll knock it under the seat or something and not realize it. We usually travel with two sets of keys and there is the keypad on the door as well, so i'm not really worried about getting locked out.

-
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Thanks, yeah, I've had the connector for a few months now but a little nervous to jump in. There are a few little tweaks that i think would really improve the experience though, one of which is disabling the panic alarm. If you think two honks make you unpopular at the campground, try accidentally setting off the panic alarm at 10:30 at night! 😬
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #52
Site Team

Yep, that's a quick fix. Saving face with the hubby make take a little longer. Lol
Thanks for sharing.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:08 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I do the same...

I call it 'The Once Over'!

Even though I usually walk around it at least two times...sometimes three.
Tried to walk around mine once...I got lost and they had to send a search party to find me.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #54

Been there, done that too. I forgot to unplug my 5th wheel's DC power cable from the truck before unhitching and ripped it right out of the junction box at the trailer end. After spending the next day fetching a new cable and wiring it into the junction box , I decided making a set of check-lists, similar in concept to the ones I used when flying, is indeed a good idea. I force myself to use them and haven't screwed up again - yet.
Uxyfutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #55

Drove off with plug

Don’t feel bad I did the same thing. But it pulled out from the pole, I dragged it all the way to the dump station. People were waving at me to stop, but I kept going. I just thought they were saying goodbye when I got to the the dump I finally noticed the plug, dragging behind the MH. I got away with no damage.
Darcie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
After leaving the stairs out and banging them on a fence post in the yard, I now have a routine of walking around the trailer and inspecting it before I move it. Even it is 50 yards. I do this 100% of the time.
This is mandatory. Drove trucks for 20 years before going to the Academy. It's called a PTI (pre trip inspection) Check engine oil, coolant, check for leaks, drain air tanks, check tires and hoses, check all turn, brake, clearance lights. Will save on mishaps as posted, save money by identifying possible problems which are cheaper to fix at home.
Later my patrol car got the same treatment every shift, lights, siren, alley lights.
PTI and PM can be a real money, safety, embarrassment saver.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #57
bloodybill

heres one very embarrassing moment for me,
i think every body has skeletons in their closet,
After a end of work day i traveled several hundred miles to the place i was staying at a rv park
on arrival connected all the hookups
dw was taking a quick nap
i started meeting and greeting old friends
i went back into the mh to discover water coming up out of the shower drain,
i had hooked up the city water supply to the black & grey tank back flush!
luckily the tanks were empty before arrival,
and then i was feverishly mopping up water on the bathroom floor
with the dw none the wiser phew!
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #58

And it just keeps getting better (stories). Family reunion at my parents ranch. Great weekend.... time to head back home. Unhooked everything from the MH and took off. OOOOPS, forgot to lower the antenna, and the power line to the main house was at the perfect height. I disconnected the house from the grid. Dad was not pleased. Good news was that a neighbor worked for the local electric co-op. Bad news... new antenna.

If anyone that has been doing this for any time says they have never boo booed, they either have an angel on their shoulder, or have a tendency to fabricate the truth. (PC way to say lie )

Welcome to the "Club"
210flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #59

I know I will do this one day. I wrap the cord around the bumper at home just in case. Easier to swap the cord or outlet in the house than the trailer. I also forgot to unhook the breakaway cable once. At least I caught that after I pulled it out and nothing melted. I also ripped the chains off once...makes me wonder how FR gets away with a single connection point for them. They are now connected in two places and welded on.

I am sure there will be more mistakes eventually.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #60

I have confessed these before I am sure...

Wright Patman lake ... left batwing up(major trees) and made to dump station when a nice person pointed out

Waco lake... left break away connected... found next day. Brakes still work

Scratch on old RV rear end...never did know how
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote