Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Current River Rat

Well, Hail......

Went to the storage lot today to get the TT for a washin, install battery switch and fridge fans. Walked up to the unit and one of the yellow marker light lenses was on the ground in three pieces. Looked up at the front of the unit and saw where the lens came from AND a whole lot of dimples. Down the curb side (door) was dimple city. Holy crap. Mother Nature strikes again. The whole curb side is dimpled. Nothing big, just a nice selection of marble and smaller size dings. The top of the front has its share also. Ring-ring, hello insurance agent. Well, here we go. From what I can see the only "fix" is replacing the whole one side and top front and I would guess that would be at the factory. Haven't seen too many TT body shops around. Oh well, it happens. At least it got a good bath, battery disconnect installed and fridge fans in place. Tried to take pics of the dimples but too much sun. Have a pic of the battery switch. Has anyone had to deal with hail damage and what was the end result. Since it was bought in March I'm totally undecided on what approach to take. Not crazy about them tearing it apart and putting it back together again. Makes me very nervous.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	14931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	14932  
Old 06-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If it does go back to the factory, rest assured that they do a good job. Usually with extras, too (I gather from the folks that have posted their experiences).

Sorry to hear this, though, and I wish you well.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Current River Rat

Phone call from the adjuster today. Told him I had talked to my dealer and they said bring it out and they would work up an estimate. He said take it to them, he already has one out there for the same thing and they will get him the estimate. Here we go. They told me they have handled several hail damage repairs over the years and have pretty good experience with panel and roof work. I hope, being it's barely three months old.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #4

One of the many reasons I have mine at home where I can keep an eye on things..
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Current River Rat

That would be the answer if I had room. Townhome Took the unit to the dealer for an estimate, emailed photos to the adjuster. In the works now. Dealer said the options are keep the money and leave it alone, some negative aspects to that one, damage later??, only 3 months old, etc. Or dealer will take my trailer and insurance payment and get me a new 2013 to replace mine. I can order it if I want and make changes if I want. Might have to think on that one a little. If it was 3 or 4 years old it wouldn't be any choice. Take the money and run. But I don't want a brand new trailer with dimples and the insurance coverage changes under those conditions. Hmmmm.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bttravel View Post
That would be the answer if I had room. Townhome Took the unit to the dealer for an estimate, emailed photos to the adjuster. In the works now. Dealer said the options are keep the money and leave it alone, some negative aspects to that one, damage later??, only 3 months old, etc. Or dealer will take my trailer and insurance payment and get me a new 2013 to replace mine. I can order it if I want and make changes if I want. Might have to think on that one a little. If it was 3 or 4 years old it wouldn't be any choice. Take the money and run. But I don't want a brand new trailer with dimples and the insurance coverage changes under those conditions. Hmmmm.
That's a tough decision to make. Please keep us updated if you don't mind.

Take care,
Terier

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Current River Rat

Update: Got the estimate from my RV dealer, $7377.00 But didn't really surprise me that much. So, here's the options. First off I will not have it torn apart and repaired. I can take the money, pay the balance and keep the unit as is, however, any future insurance claims will only pay above that amount. If I have a $3000 claim for something I get nuthin! If I have a $10,000 claim they deduct the $7377 from the $10,000. Ouch That would be a little rough to handle. If I have no further claims it's a good deal. OR my dealer will take my trailer and the insurance check and put us in a new 2013 just like I have and I can make a few changes if I want. I'm slightly leaning towards the new one since this mine was new last March. If anyone has been or would like to give me their thoughts, (put yourself in my place, by the way the $7000 would pay it off) and let me know what YOU would do. And why. Are you a risk taker or not. Happy camping and looking forward to hearing from everyone........well, not everyone. I'd be here all night.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
Site Team

The first two options are taking a chance so I would lean towards the last option too. This option will make "you whole again" in the world of TV court.

Regardless of what anyone has to say remember you are the one that has to live with your choice.

Take care,
Terier

Old 06-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #9

Sorry for your trouble, but if it was me I'd take the new trailer. No future problems selling it, no Insurance problems, and peace of mind that it might have hidden damage.

Look for covered storage.
My $.02
Joe
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #10

I had hail damage in early March, I bought my 2011 unit in Jan new. Claim was 6500. for new roof, two roof domes and new awning. I still owned about 16K, so I had it repaired. Good choice so far. I also had damage to my truck, also repaired and roof of home. All three claims were about 22K.
Bamaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #11

To me, taking the new trailer would be a no-brainer. However, being debt-free in a nearly new trailer with a few dings wouldn't be so bad, either. Hmmmm. Seriously, if you're just looking for an opinion, I'd say take the new one. It'll be easier to sell if you ever want to, will look better, and you won't have to worry about the insurance deduct if you are involved in an accident or are the victim of another hail storm. Having your current trailer repaired at the dealer would be my last choice.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #12

X2 on what Mike just said. If they can put you in a new model year that has no damage for around the same monthly payment, I wouldn't think twice. Good luck either way!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Take the money, pay it off, and it is yours. You won't have payments, then you don't need insurance. Your tow vehicle insurance covers it while connected.

Now the hard part. Keep making payments in to a savings account of some kind. Then in a few years, if you want to upgrade, you may not have a premium trade in, but it will be worth something, for trade or private sell, maybe even a hunter, and you can start all over. Of course, as mentioned, your money, and if you would let me spend it............

Now the final test, does it leak anywhere? Probably can't tell from that storm, but check it quick after the next rain.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #14

Is the dealer also paying off the the debt? Just be sure.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #15

Last year I had hail damage to my 2005 Flagstaff. When I first checked it I didn't find any damage. Later, when I was washing the roof, I found bubbling under the roof membrane. I took it to the dealer and they wanted to send it back to the factory to have the entire roof replaced, not just the membrane. The insurance company and I were agreeable to that so away it went. At the factory they found water damage in one of the sidewalls. This pushed the estimate to over 75% of the value of the trailer so it was totaled. The insurance co. gave me a fair settlement and upgraded to a 4 year newer Rockwood of the same size and the same floor plan. It has several improvements since it is a newer model.
One thing I learned from this is in the case of water damage, it might not show up until later, perhaps after you have settled with the Insurance Co. I would definitely take the new trailer option.

2009 Rockwood 2701SS
2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
camping

I would go for the new one and work the dealer a little or have the factory (only) repair it. I think it would be hard to sell a damaged one and if there is damage your going to be out of pocket. see what the factory would charge for the repair.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #17
Current River Rat

Well, Hail update

Went by the dealer today to talk trailers. I can move into a 2013 just like I have now at no cost. Other than ducted a/c and probably no cost for that. OR..... we looked at a Grey Wolf 25RL and oh boy, more to think about. The 25RL is a really nice set-up (floorplan) and an upgrade in size from my 17BH. Really like the separate bedroom and larger bathroom. Okay, okay, I'm pretty sold on the 25RL (so is the DW) My question to all you fine folks is.....who has a 25RL and how do you like it?? It seems a good mix of not too big and not too small. Hopefully, I'll have this sorted out in a week or two. The bump up to the 25RL would cost me about $1100 and I can keep my personal add-ons off my 17BH. I'm a thinkin that's a pretty good deal!!??
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...eries=GreyWolf
Old 07-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #18
Site Team

You have a couple of good choices to decide between. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #19

I have the 26RL and love it. Great layout and all seems right. Tires are Trailer Express (thiumbs down) but it came w/a small tv (19") I put it in the Bedroom and I put the small inverted haning bracket there also so I can move to to the outside station when grilling or hanging out. A 32" LED tv fit perfectly in the entertainment area and works well there. I did take out one of the chairs which makes for a lot more room in the rear window area where it it really nice at some of the riverside parks we stay.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #20
Current River Rat

Well, we're off to the dealer tomorrow morning so the DW can do a look see at the Grey Wolf 25RL. Looking at floorplans and photos just isn't a good way to pick a camper. Insurance check in hand and ready to "get er done". Spent the weekend down home and can was visualizing how much better the roomy 25RL would be. I really like our 17BH except the corner bed. Me being over 6' and a bed hog doesn't work well in a corner bed. Doable, just not the first choice. If we can get the deal he stated we're off to the land of upsizing. More later.