Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2017, 05:09 AM   #1
Site Team

Western mountains vs Eastern mountains

Being a map geek, I found a great map showing how different the two halves of the country are, regarding mountainous regions.
Most Easterners have no clue about the difference. They think they can see everything in a couple of weeks.
Our coastal hills are often higher than the Appalachian.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171120_112743.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	157041
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #2
geezer with gadgets

Cool! I can spend hours looking at maps.

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:31 AM   #3

I live in the Appalachians and travel out west each summer. I know both pretty well. While my jaw drops every time I see the sites out west, I have the same reaction when I come home.

Having been to a large number of National Parks, people often ask which is my favorite. I don't rank them like that. They each have their own beauty and can't compare. Same is true for East vs. West.

All that said, if there were no other factors, I'd move to live right in the middle of "the west" so that I could explore forever!

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
NH Maple Maker

Here in the northeast Mount Washington is the highest mountain at 6,289'. It is nothing compared to Pikes Peak which is 14,114'. I have been to the top of both and they are both spectacular in their own way. We live in a beautiful country and are privileged to have the freedom to travel and see it.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #5

I totally agree, each park has its own beauty, and I love them all. Dan, I'm like you and can really get into maps and nautical charts. Took maps are really intriguing.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

Swamper

If you look at the blue section at the very bottom of the map in southeast Louisiana, that is where I have lived my entire life. My pre-teens have only travelled to beaches.

I took the family RVing to North Alabama, Tenn, and NC last year. It was an amazing sight for kids to stand at Lookout Mountain and Clingman's Dome.

The Little River Canyon view and streams were amazing to my daughter.

While the swamps of my region have beauty, nothing here can compare to those views.

I am now looking west for next summer. Grand Canyon? Yellowstone?

Any opinions on pulling an RV from S. La a reasonable distance to enjoy the west side?
DABoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #7

The Awe of seeing Mountains for the first time, you never forget. The Awe of seeing what's behind what you see from the road is breath taking. First time backpacking the Bitterroot Mt's...in 1980...I can still picture every step of the 4 days hiking and all the views.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #8

X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
I live in the Appalachians and travel out west each summer. I know both pretty well. While my jaw drops every time I see the sites out west, I have the same reaction when I come home.

Having been to a large number of National Parks, people often ask which is my favorite. I don't rank them like that. They each have their own beauty and can't compare. Same is true for East vs. West.

All that said, if there were no other factors, I'd move to live right in the middle of "the west" so that I could explore forever!
I live in the east but have travelled extensively through both the Rockies and the Appalachians and visited many national parks across the country. While the Rockies are magnificent in their size and features, the eastern mountains offer a lot to see as well. I'll never forget my first trip west and driving into Grand Teton NP. My first reaction to seeing the lakes and snow-capped mountains beyond was that it couldn't be real...it had to big a big painting!
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #9

Think the big difference is terrain.. the mountains aren't as high on the east, but doing 10 miles up a 7%-9% grade with 10 MPH switch backs that have you constantly slowing to a crawl and accelerating again is hard on any vehicle..
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABoat View Post
If you look at the blue section at the very bottom of the map in southeast Louisiana, that is where I have lived my entire life. My pre-teens have only travelled to beaches.

I took the family RVing to North Alabama, Tenn, and NC last year. It was an amazing sight for kids to stand at Lookout Mountain and Clingman's Dome.

The Little River Canyon view and streams were amazing to my daughter.

While the swamps of my region have beauty, nothing here can compare to those views.

I am now looking west for next summer. Grand Canyon? Yellowstone?

Any opinions on pulling an RV from S. La a reasonable distance to enjoy the west side?
You can pull that RV all over the west to see this amazing country. Just depends on how much time you have.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
jkoenig24

"We live in a beautiful country and are privileged to have the freedom to travel and see it."

AMEN!!!!!

and a very Happy Thangsgiving to all forum members!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #12
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
"We live in a beautiful country and are privileged to have the freedom to travel and see it."

AMEN!!!!!

and a very Happy Thangsgiving to all forum members!

Cheers!

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #13

West side mountains are a lot,higher in elevation but the eastern mountains have a lot steeper grade angles.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #14

Mountains

I lived in and around Montreal for some years and often went skiing in the Laurentian Mountains to North of us. I always thought they were a northern extension of the Appalachians, but was I ever wrong. I found the following on Wikipedia:

The Adirondack Mountains in New York are sometimes considered part of the Appalachian chain but, geologically speaking, are a southern extension of the Laurentian Mountains of Canada.

I have visited relatives out West in Alberta and love the Rockies. I agree with those who say that they all have their individual charms.

My father, born and raised in Alberta, never accepted the term "mountain" for what we have here in the East.

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving from a fellow map geek.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #15

Your country and mine are so huge it's hard for Europeans to understand the scope. Years back the British parents of a good friend visited her in Ottawa Ontario for several weeks. One of their requests was to pack a picnic and drive to Alberta to "see the Rockies".

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the USA.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #16
Multi-Slacker

I grew up in the East but was taken with the West during my 1st drive up Hwy 1 through Big Sur. Started my career on the East coast but always longed to see the West again. Had the opportunity to move to SoCal in my mid 30s and took it.

I agree with the assertions that both regions can be beautiful but, in my mind, nothing quite beats the awesome, breathtaking nature of the western vistas. We found Yellowstone to be so incredible that we will return as soon as I am able.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #17

Well aware of the Rockies

I have lived in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts my whole life but have been to the Rockies a few times in my life. When I think of the two the Appalachians remind me of an old weathered man who has aged gracefully with weathered rolling hills and gorgeous views. The Rockies remind me of a strong towering young man in their prime that age has not yet weathered and still has towering sharp lines and majestic views. Both are beautiful in their own way. Also most on the east coast are aware of the western mountains.

Rockwood ultra lite 2440ws
2014 Toyota Tundra 4wd v8 5.7
reese hitch
reese revolution on rv
Bose04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bose04 View Post
I have lived in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts my whole life but have been to the Rockies a few times in my life. When I think of the two the Appalachians remind me of an old weathered man who has aged gracefully with weathered rolling hills and gorgeous views. The Rockies remind me of a strong towering young man in their prime that age has not yet weathered and still has towering sharp lines and majestic views. Both are beautiful in their own way. Also most on the east coast are aware of the western mountains.
Well said.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #19
Site Team

One of my points was how many mountain ranges cover the West half, compared to the East half.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:53 PM   #20
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
One of my points was how many mountain ranges cover the West half, compared to the East half.
Yea, but having lived in both halves each have their allure. I live smack in the middle of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado but I also appreciate the fall colors of the northeast in the fall.

There is beauty everywhere if you take a moment to find it.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount