Old 07-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #21

elrand,

very good info. The wife and I were doing mental notes in the grocery store today for our purchases after take ownership. You got us on the broom/dustpan. Neither one of us mentioned that. Also the first aid kit. thank you

Old 07-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #22
Site Team

Lots of great suggestions on what to pack, so I will address picking up new TT. In addition to having the dealer show you how things work, the PDI is your chance to make sure everything works. Make a list ( you can find some here) of what you want to check/learn during your PDI. I strongly recommend you do not sign any paperwork until you are sure everything ( at least critical things) work. Don't accept the " just sign the papers and we will fix it after your trip". RV dealer's service centers are very backed up and if there is little motivation to fix things( want their money) you could miss several weeks / months of the season waiting for repairs. If this is your first RV you might want to video the PDI in case you miss/forget some operating instructions.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:12 PM   #23
Site Team

Here's a site that I like because it breaks it down into the bare necessities:

Learn To RV: Newbie - First Trip Essentials

Basically, you don't really need much for the first camping trip. Over time though, the people on these forums have a wealth of information on things you'll probably find very useful and some of which I wouldn't live without now, but in the end you probably don't absolutely 'need' them.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 07-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #24

I am sorry to hear of your departure. We lost our 16 year old Angel two years ago. We rescued a wonderful beagle/boxer mix. Recently, like three weeks ago, rescued a German Shorthaired Pointer with three legs….
Thank you for the information. We car/truck travel a lot already so we have a backpack that is dedicated to our fury babies for the bowls, bags, food and treats. My wife usually portions out the food so it easier to dispense. Seat belts for everyone on our watch.
One thing that my wife was concerned about was the steps leading to the TT door. She read a post about a dog that got its toe claw stuck in the step and damaged the foot. So I will have to place something there for her comfort and mine too.

mutt
Old 07-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #25

they make carpet covers that will go over the trailer steps

23" Outrigger RV Step Rug - Walnut Brown - Prest-O-Fit 2-0351 - Step Rugs - Camping World

take a look around and find the right cover for your steps whether they are strait or curved also what color you want
Old 07-12-2015, 10:29 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutt View Post
One thing that my wife was concerned about was the steps leading to the TT door. She read a post about a dog that got its toe claw stuck in the step and damaged the foot. So I will have to place something there for her comfort and mine too.

mutt
Happened to our Weimaraner when we first got our TT and she was checking it out in the driveway. Very first mod I did was to put on step covers (little scraps of outdoor carpet basically) that you can pick up at most RV stores, some walmarts, etc... Never had a stuck toe since.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:29 PM   #27

Asquared,
We will have to meet up after our return. I am an Amazon Prime (July 15th is Prime Day!) and I have seen some of the supplies list there already. I was surprised of the inventory.
I have added the black water wand to my ever growing list! The Rhino hose is on already and I like the idea of a clear elbow for observation.
I will have to add my Schumacher air compressor/charger (with a full charge) to the truck list
I should read that last sentence on Saturday. They have the check but I can stand my ground. Great information and help, I really appreciate it.
mutt
Old 07-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #28

Thank you, FlyBob. I am making my list and checking it twice (with the wife).

I notice the solar panels in your signature. I definitely want to work my way off the grid for practice.

mutt
Old 07-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #29
Site Team

Mutt we too have a rescue. He is a boxer/American bulldog/beagle mix. I agree with the microchipping in case they get separated from you. As stated above, always carry their shot record with you. You may also want to know where a local emergency vet is when traveling in case of illness, snake bite, etc.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:40 PM   #30
Site Team

Oh and check out geo method to manage your black tank.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, check list, dogs, first time, mutt, pets