Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #41
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I also bought( if not mentioned) 90 degree brass elbow for fresh water hook up. You can buy at Walmart and prevents your city water hose from kinking when hooking hose to camper. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #42

Congrats on the new unit. Sounds like most have been said already. Here are some small things that we found helpful. Also when backing in to your campsites, if you back in getting the whole view from the drivers side it is way easier.

Have fun,
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #43

Looks like people have made some great suggestions and provided lists, which is something we use every time we're leaving on a trip. I'd suggest a couple of things about your dogs. We always keep 8 1/2 x 11 color photos (just printed from home) of our dogs just in case they get lost and we need to make lost & found posters. We take proof of their rabies and other required vaccinations with us. And most importantly, we've recently made sure we have the location and phone number of the closed emergency vet to where we are camping. Last month, my niece's dog was bitten my a rattlesnake while we were camping and we had to find a vet at 8 a.m. on a Sunday morning very quickly!!
Old 07-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #44

Definitely video the PDI. I took notes (pre-smart phone days) and it was difficult to remember what all the notes meant. You-tube will be your friend... as well as this forum. No question is stupid - do a search first, chances are that your question has already been asked multiple times.

Keep paper/pencil handy on your short trip to GA and make lots of notes: Questions, what you're missing (paper plates, whatever!), what to call the dealer about, etc.

Also - have fun. It really is supposed to be fun!

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #45

We have an "office kit" - it can be in a pencil box. Pens, pencils, mini stapler, rubber bands, bull dog clips, paper clips, tape, small note pads, etc. We also use an office sorter-type container on our table. Keeps daily papers, campground maps, notes, etc. gathered up and out of the way. I also use a large plastic bag (from Container Store or even a 2 gallon zip lock) to keep treasures in for scrapbooking later.

If you are inclined, take a small journal with you to write your adventures (and misadventures) in. Include good camp sites, restaurants, favorite places, etc.

And no matter what size TT you have, get a small cheap lamp to use in place of the overhead lighting. So much cosier!

I bought microwaveable plates, bowls since I'd rather not deal with all the trash from paper plates, etc. Note: add dish drain to list of supplies. There is no need to dry dishes when there is a campfire to sit around!

Ditto on the coffee pot. We take a French press. There are great crock pot recipes which make coming home for dinner after a day of adventures fast and easy! Our RPod doesn't have much space for extra appliances so a toaster would be a luxury to have!
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #46

These folks have covered the important stuff. I would add that you make a checklist for campsite exit. We forgot to put down the TV antenna ...once. Also rolled off the blocks and left them behind ...once. A shoe cleaning doormat was left somewhere in KY...once. You'll notice, I said "once."
We fastened the ends of the white hose together and store in a zippered plastic bag. Sanitize when arriving home.

I want to welcome you to the RV community. I hope you go a very long time before that first little scrape by a branch, that first loud party next door, that dog poop no body cleaned up. Minor irritations to a wonderful adventure.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #47

Congratulations on your new camper
Maybe it's already been mentioned and I missed it, you need to bring a tire gauge to check the tire pressure regularly before each trip and a torque wrench for the lug nuts on the trailer - and use them because things happen.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #48

We are also kind of new and travel with two Doxies. We found that one of those portable fences are great. The DW sits next to the boys till I get things set up. Also seat cover for backseat of my Pick up, we put in one of those fence dividers behind our seats to keep them in the back seat. Otherwise they would be sitting in our laps. Not sure what kind of dogs you have but our last/ first trip they slept the 2600 miles from MN to NY and return. Must be the road noise?
Old 07-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #49
smc

You might consider ID for the pups that have your tow vehicle plate and description on them while you are away from home. That would make it easier for someone to find you.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #50

At your PDI have them fill and drain the tanks. Check for leaks and that your tank monitoring system works properly. Mine didn't. I had a fresh water and greywater read 1/3 full when empty. I'm still dealing with it 2 months later.
bbrowncods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #51

What everyone on here said!

I went Amazon Crazy over the last few weeks getting ready for our RV.
Including
1. 2 freshwater hoses
2. Grey water hose
3. Water Pressure regulator
4. Water faucet splitter
5. Inline water filter
6. Air hose winterizing attachment (two types)
7. 30-50amp converter cable
8. 30-20 converter cable
9. 25' 30amp extention cable
10. 30amp circuit tester breaker
11. 4750 watt WEN Generator
12. 4 tire chocks
13. 20' sewer hose
14. Sewer hose decending holder
15. Tire change ramp
16. Leveling blocks
17. Leveling ramp
18. Backwash valve for black/grey tank
19. Clear Angle flush adapter
20. TPMS sensor kit (6 sensors)
21. Walkie talkies
22. Battery shut off switch
23. Viair 400p RV air compressor
24. Fire Gone 6 pack of fire extinguishers
25. ADCO tire covers
26. OSHA First aid kit
27. 1700amp jump starter
28. 300watt AC doc inverter
29. 120 fuses pack
30. Seal saver for slide wipers
31. Tire repair kit
32. Meguiars RV wax
33. Stabilizer jack pads
34. Levels
35. E2 Wieght distribution sway hitch
36. OxyKem for holding tanks
37. Gloves
38. Towels

I think I spent more on stuff for the RV than on my RV.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #52

My extreme list!

We'll be picking our 5th wheel up in a couple of weeks and I've been doing my shopping. Here's my 3 column list... lol Still adding things now and then. Good think we've got alot of room.
Attached Files
File Type: doc THINGS NEEDED FOR CAMPING 2.doc (26.0 KB, 63 views)
lindalees818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #53

I haven't read all the posts so don't know if these things have been posted:
1. Rug outside for people to wipe shoes on (we paid something like $50 for one at Walmart)
2. Indoor rug at the doorway for people to wipe their shoes on
3. Someplace for people to put their shoes when they walk in (I am not a neat-freak by any means but you would be amazed and dismayed at the dirt and stuff that comes in on people's shoes)
4. Swiffer cleaner that can use the dry and wet cloths
5. Flashlights (one in each room in an easy to remember spot)
6. Possible motion detector light in the hallway (driver who delivered our 5er cautioned us that at night it is VERY dark in the hallway so DH got an inexpensive but very reliable one for our hallway). He also put an outdoor one by the front door. Both battery operated and easy to install, inexpensive and work very well.
7. Fire extinguishers. We took the one provided in the rv for B-C type fires and put it in the basement with the tools and easy to reach. Put one that is rated A-B-C in its place and put one in the bedroom also
8. Wine opener and can opener--forgot both on our first trip and that won't happen again!
9. Fly swatter, bug spray and any bug defense to be used on the body that you like (chemical or herbal, I don't judge)
10. Paper plates, disposable cups and plastic forks. I really don't like them but when rving, sometimes ya gotta use what ya gotta use
11. A sense of humor. A quest for adventure. A thirst for broader horizons. And your insurance verification card. (JK....haven't had to use that yet)
Old 07-13-2015, 11:09 PM   #54

nice suggestions! I like the motion sensor lights, velcro, show rack and plastic tub for hoses! thanks
mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:10 PM   #55

IronCobra,

Great list. I too went Amazon crazy somewhat. thanks again
Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #56

scootinggranny,

I added the fire extinguisher. Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalees818 View Post
We'll be picking our 5th wheel up in a couple of weeks and I've been doing my shopping. Here's my 3 column list... lol Still adding things now and then. Good think we've got alot of room.
GreaT list! Reviewing now.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:53 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

One very important piece of advice that was given to me when I started. You don't have young everything in the first year. Get the important, can't camp without stuff and then add the rest over time, otherwise you won't have any money left for camping.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:57 AM   #59

Most important thing is to be sure every thing is 100% ok with you !!!
Go over that TT with a fine tooth comb !!!

If you are going from pick up to camping,,, you are braver than I !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:16 AM   #60

Make certain you have a copy of the doggies shot records and licenses. Bring waterless dog cleaner and flea spray and lots of poop bags! We use the drop in packets for the black water and a toilet brush for cleaning. If you don't have an automatic BW rinser you need a wand. surge protector and a LOCK is a good idea as well as a water pressure regulator. Happy Travels
cap2015 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, check list, dogs, first time, mutt, pets