Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #1

What do I need now? |First time rv owner...taking delivery in four days|Camping that n

Howdy everyone,
I have been to the Welcome Mat and introduced myself. Met some nice folks already, Thanks everyone so far. We live in NC. The Triad not the Triangle.

In four days we take ownership of our 2016 Wolf Pup 16 BHS. That morning we will be “trained by the dealership on the various connects and SOP.

We plan to drive to a campground in GA and camp for a few days and visit family. Driving to Illinois in three weeks,

What should I have or need initially (other than experience) The TT will come with a sewer hose and a battery.
Should I get the following?
1. Surge protector
2. Water regulator (wife read it somewhere)
3. What sanitary supplies do I need for black water?
4. We have two rescue dogs with crates. Anything other than food, water, radio and toys?

Might need a sponsor.

Thank you all,
Mutt and crew
mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #2

Congrats on your new home! You will want to create a check list so things don't get overlooked. You need a white garden hose (dedicated) for drinking water and nothing else. Of course you will need cooking supplies and eating supplies and cleaning supplies as you would with any new home. Try to get some backing practice before you actually need to... Create basic hand signal between you and your wife so when you back you don't hit something. We actually use radios when backing. Ask lots of questions at the PDI and take notes. You will be glad you did. This can be overwhelming. Tow mirrors for your tow vehicle also. Folding chairs, grill, folding table, and the list just keeps growing. But just keep one thing in mind, there is always a Wal Mart somewhere close by when you realize you need something. Have fun......
dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #3

Pick up a bag of Lynx blocks and a water filter and water hose at Walmart.

If the sewer hose you get is the cheap blue kind get a Rhino while you are at Walmart.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

See if the dealer gives you a starter package as ours did. It included the sewer hose,water pressure regulator, water hose and toilet chemicals. If not purchase at walmart. Also need some wheel chocks and added trailer levels. (let dealer install) Ours where installed at no cost. make a dry run at the house to check things out. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

if you think of it this way your setting up a small home on top of your current abode unless you plan on taking stuff back and forth from your home

so some things to think of
Sheets for the bed (some Rv mattresses are not the same size as normal but most sheets might work)
papertowel holders
First aid kit
dish soap
dish rack
sponge
dishes
pots /pans
small broom / dustpan
towels

but for RV type supplies
Drinking water only hose (will usually be white with a blue stripe or maybe beige with a blue stripe) (I think the blue stripe is the key for drinking water safe hose)
black tank chem
additional regular garden hose for rinsing and whatnot
sewer hose support 15' Flexible Sewer Hose Support - Four Corners 48565 - Sewer Accessories - Camping World or similar
water pressure regulator (place at the valve not the rv helps protect the hose and your trailer)
also recommend 90 Degree Water Hose Entry Elbow - Camco 22504 - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World
brass water Y-valve with shutoffs if your camp sites only have 1 connection it will be helpful to have a second hose hooked up

if you have some time between picking up and your first trip out do a driveway camp out and make a list of items you have to go in for that you'll want a second of for the trailer and leave your normal at home
Old 07-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #6

Words for the pups .... we keep the water bowls, poop bags & tie outs just inside the camper door so we can put them out of the way while setting up shop. Since losing one of our 2 the other one gets a little anxiety so she starts on anxitane for the road....fine after second day. Food, treats & basic meds (she is older so occasional pain meds needed). Of course your 6 foot leads & I am a fan of harnessing the dogs in the backseat for traveling after having my dog hit the windshield from the center console perch when I got rearended at a stoplight many years ago. Getting ready to camp again in a week so she is following us closely as we start the stuff moving out to the camper ....

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Most of this stuff can be found cheaply at Wal-Mart. Amazon prime willalso be your friend. Definitely get a water pressure regulator. Get a white fresh water hose, another hose of any kind for flushing the black tank and a black tank flush wand If you don't have a built in black tank flush. Toss whatever sewer hose they give you and get a rhino sewer hose. Also a clear elbow so you can see when your tank rinses clean. You will want heavy duty wheel chocks, a set of levelers (I like lynx levelers). We also cut a 4x6 into 12" lengths, installed handles on them and put them under our stab jacks when setup. We also carry tools and a portable air compressor/battery jumper with us. Walkie talkies are a great tool for backing up. We use drivers side/passenger side instead of right/left to avoid confusion.

Videotape your pdi. Take your time, if it opens/closes, turns on or off get them to demo it and you return the demo. Have them show you (not tell you) how to winterize/bypass water heater and then how to Dewinterize. Have them show you how to do the wdh, you return demo for hooking and unhooking. Pay attention Tahoe the ball should seat in the hitch. Check all caulking. If anything is wrong with the trailer do not hand over the final check/signAtures until all is repaired. Be prepared to leave it on the lot if necessary.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #8

+1 on the Water Pressure Regulator. We didn't have one the very first time we had an RV and the huge balloon that formed in the water hose was astonishing. We haven't been without one since.

All good, sound advice above. Definitely get the Rhino kit. It has everything you need plus end caps to seal the hose for storage. I would get a sewer donut and toss it in. Some states require you use that and some parks don't have threaded sewer connectors, so you will need the donut. It will be an adventure for you, for sure! But you will enjoy it.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #9

oh forgot to add rubber gloves for dealing with the sewer hose when packing/setting up
Old 07-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #10

Maybe this list will also help. Just ignore anything you don't think you'll need.

Word and pdf versions.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Camp List rev.doc (22.5 KB, 200 views)
File Type: pdf Camp List rev.pdf (112.8 KB, 220 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:46 PM   #11

dkelly,

Thanks for all the info. I actually took your message and paresed in a notepad so I can now create a list in Google Docs. Thanks again

mutt
Old 07-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #12

I second just about everything on the list. Chances are the sewer hose you will get will be junk. Get a Rhino. I have one and it is like new after three year of pretty regular use.

I also highly recommend a weight distribution hitch be bought and installed. This will make you tow much smoother and put far less strain in your tow vehicle (TV).

Also cut a few 12-18 inch 2X(6, 8, or 10). This will help if your site is not level and you need to compensate for your stabilizers that may not be long enough to hit the ground.

Best of luck with the new TT and post some pics of the first trip out.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #13

Ford Idaho,

I am assuming that the bag of Lynx blocks is for the sewer? thank you for messgae, I have add the items to my list.

mutt
Old 07-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutt View Post
Ford Idaho,

I am assuming that the bag of Lynx blocks is for the sewer? thank you for messgae, I have add the items to my list.

mutt
No lynx levelers go under the trailer wheels to help level the trailer from side to side on an uneven site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leveling_Blocks.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	82692  
Old 07-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Ford Idaho,

mutt
No they are to level the trailer, I think yours is a single axle is it not?
The blocks are lighter than wood and can be used under your stabilizer jacks.

For the waste hose.

http://www.googleadservices.com/page...52%26veh%3Dsem
Old 07-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vs the sewer support hose seen here.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #17

Basic hand tools will be helpful if things are not going as planned.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #18

aceinspp,

I have added the wheel chocks to my list and I made me a remider to call dealer tomorrow about the trailer levels. thanks for your suggestions and help.

mutt
Old 07-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #19

Surge protector might not be enough. Consider an electrical management system. Most people here prefer the Progressive. 30 or 50 amp depend on your unit. Portable or built-in depends on your electrical skills. You NEED to protect your investment, even the best insurance might not cover your losses from reverse polarity, high/low surges, missing grounds, etc. yes, I am trying to scare you, but the effects of no protection are not pretty.
Like others have said, Walmart and Amazon Prime are your friends. Camping World is good for ideas, but most things can be purchased for much less elsewhere.
Some people like the foldable pens for their pets, others just keep them on a leash. If you haven't, make an appt with your vet, get your animals microchipped, and get a copy of their shot records to carry with you.
Remember, everything adds weight, so don't think you need everything your first trip. You will develop your own camping style in time, so go slow, separate the needs from the wants, keep an open mind, smile, laugh at yourself, and enjoy it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #20

Quote:
aceinspp,

I have added the wheel chocks to my list and I made me a remider to call dealer tomorrow about the trailer levels. thanks for your suggestions and help.

mutt
Picked these up at Harbor Freight for about seven bucks each.

Tags
camping, check list, dogs, first time, mutt, pets