Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #61

I was an avid off road guy for about 50 years of my life. I have spent a lot of time out there all over the US including Alaska and Hawaii, Latin America and Europe. Yes dying from Coz and other fumes happens far to often, but there are some things you can do to prevent:

1) Get under your vehicle and have someone using a board or a rag or anything to reduce the exhaust from the tailpipe while you are under the vehicle following the exhaust pipe from engine bay to the outlet. You are listening for a 'hissing' sound where there could be a leak...that needs to be repaired...that needs to be repaired. Do this annually!

2) As I often slept in my vehicle in both summer and winter for its AC/heat I extended the tailpipe to the outside of the perimeter of my vehicle and bologna sliced it to exhaust up.

3) If expecting or in an area of sudden snow storms you can extend the tailpipe using a hose. There is some caution and things to be avoided: It should melt or catch fire, the hose has to be extended in straight line and have no kinks, be long enough to get the exhaust away from the vehicle but short enough as to not create back pressure, 3-6 ft should be fine.

For long idle's such as over night you may want to add an 'idle up' to increase your rpm's. I have them on all my trucks, they are sent for 1200 rpm. At that rpm you get some serious exhaust velocity and if you have exited your tailpipe outside your vehicle the gases will not pool under your vehicle.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The trailer furnace exhaust and vent system is probably a lot higher than the average snow. If it got high enough to be a problem then I think there are more serious issues.

Now, the generator is another issue. It could do the same as a snow blocked exhaust pipe problem. Fortunately there are kits that a lot of us have that send the generator exhaust overhead.
That is when I would use my exhaust stack that puts it above the roof.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #63
Chief tinkerer

Great advice on here. Keep an eye on that forecast. Park if you get caught. We did Atlanta to Fort Worth using I20 last February to visit family. Wintery weather started bringing forecast of Freezing rain into North Texas so we hightailed it South to Houston and took I10, I12 to Mobile and then up to Montgomery and home.

I didn't see them mentioned on here but bought some of these to keep in the Toad while at home.
I used them once to get home when a freak storm brought snow and ice to Atlanta mid day while I was at work.
https://autosock.us

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Great advice on here. Keep an eye on that forecast. Park if you get caught. We did Atlanta to Fort Worth using I20 last February to visit family. Wintery weather started bringing forecast of Freezing rain into North Texas so we hightailed it South to Houston and took I10, I12 to Mobile and then up to Montgomery and home.

I didn't see them mentioned on here but bought some of these to keep in the Toad while at home.
I used them once to get home when a freak storm brought snow and ice to Atlanta mid day while I was at work.
https://autosock.us
I have seen those before, you ever had a chance to use them???
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #65
Chief tinkerer

Yes, used them twice. Each time was about 50 miles. Easy to put on like the video. Traction was good on packed snow/ice. Was concerned about wear since they are some kind of fabric but that wasn't a problem.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:31 AM   #66
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

When the weather catches me on the road...

I pull over into an RV park and stay until the weather clears...

Here is me doing just that last year in Colorado...lost two days on the road to snow in the Colorado mountains!

This was about six hours before the snow hit...I listened to the weather forecast and decided to stay put!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerAtMountaindale-PA081312.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	874.7 KB
ID:	193445  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #67

We have been traveling this winter and got caught by snow once. We have good tires on all vehicles and I grew up driving on snow so we went ahead with our trip. I drove slowly and was extra cautious and we did fine. We passed a mess of TVs In ditches. I'd only move ahead if your good on snow. Remembering your way bigger and heavier than just a car so slow and easy does it.
Lyndall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #68

I don't have a problem with weather myself, but all the other nuts on the road that don't. Drove truck for 37 years in all kinds of weather and never an accident. But sure saw plenty. If traffic is light enough I continue or else pull off the highway and wait.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #69
Multi-Slacker

To misquote someone - if the thunder doesn't get you then the idiots will
Old 03-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #70
bloodybill

wilco
its funny you mentioned moab
i,m a colorado resident
and some of the best ohv riding in moab is early spring due to the temp
but one has to keep a eye on weather conditions crossing back over to colorado and the mountains passes
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat