Old 09-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #31
I miss the money that I spent on the new TT I could have gone camping a lot with it with the old one. Just thought I needed a new one. Oh well I like the new one so will go any way. Don't miss the tent we or old popup.

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Diesel
2014 Rockwood 2608WS
Big Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #32
We started with a pop up, I loved it, but really wanted a bathroom we could use while traveling our twins were getting to the age of potty training so we moved up to a hybrid. Hybrid was great, but was a lot of work on me, set up and take down, plus I like being up early and let the family sleep, and the canvas gave no sound protection. Travel trailer was next, but I wanted more bunk space as our kids are getting older and rarely like to travel alone, so now we have the fifth wheel. What I miss about the fifth wheel is the bed of my truck! It towes beautifully and has lots of room and cabinets we don't use! I can't believe Im saying this but I think I'd like to go back to the TT would be cheaper and I get my truck back.

Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:32 AM   #33
Incheon, S. Korea
I am thinking only of a TT because of the truck bed issue and the overall height, so it's good to hear someone thinks the same!
Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #34
We tent camped with our kids to start. Thunderstorm time was spent in the bath houses. I don't miss chore of tent camping, although it does bring the family together.
We moved to a brand new pop-up, Coleman Stoney Brook, and as pop-ups go, it was a fairly big one. We camped in it with the kids 4 times, that was all I could take. Our last trip in it we didn't finish setting up until 3am, just DW and me. The kids came in the next day and stayed Sat & Sun, we had fun, rode the boat, enjoyed the camper, then everyone left on Sun. Mon morning me and DW had to break camp, load the boat, tow it all home by ourselves, in the rain. We were at each other's throats by the end of that day, lol. I said that's it, won't do it again without help, so we didn't, most expensive camping trips ever. One of my sons still has the pop-up and still use it, but not often.
DW and I bought a 30' TT in July (used '07 Surveyor) and are going on the shakedown cruise tomorrow. I think it will be fine and I'm looking forward to it. We've yard camped a couple of times and it will be a lot better than the pop-up.... I think.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #35
I went from tent camping occasionally(15 yrs ago) to 5er. I don't remember missing anything... I do wish I had the TV bed room to haul something...or the ability to tow something with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #36
I've went from a dome tent to a pop up when I was allot younger then to a 33' TT and now to a 41.5' 5er. I don't miss anything except pulling a lighter load and turning a shorter radius and better fuel mileage. I'm pulling 16k load now but no regrets I like the luxury camping and having my toy with me in the 12' garage attached. I like getting where I'm going camping popping a cold one and hitting the auto level button. LOL
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #37
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
We recently upgraded from a 2004 Coachmen pop-up to a 27 ft TT. Did it for all the normal reasons (real bathroom, more space, more weather- and sound-proof, etc, etc, etc). I have, however, found a couple of things that I really miss from the pop-up (covered storage under the bunk ends and being able to see out of my rear view mirror to name a couple).

So, for those who have made an upgrade (tent to PU, PU to TT, TT to 5er, 5er to C, C to A, etc):
1. What did you have then?
2. What do you have now?
3. What do you miss from your old setup?

Started tent, went pop up. One storm changed it and me forever. Went TT, just love it. The only thing I miss is the ability to maneuver it anywhere while in the camp sit. Larger trailers are limited to the pad area. However I just love my toilet in the middle of the night.
ljlund3872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #38
We had a tent trailer in the 60's, a 15 foot Scotty in the 70's and a 23 foot Fleetwood Resort in the 80's and 90's. In that period we moved three times. What I miss are RV dealers who know how to repair the equipment and do not whine if you did not purchase it from them. They understood some people actually move once in a while.

Thanks goodness I am able to repair most things on my Berkshire myself. Those I cannot I have to drive the 1000 miles to the factory. It is a sad statement on the RV industry.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #39
Went from tent(s) to 16' TT (Toy Hauler - Carson FunRunner) to 23' TT (FR Stealth) to 32' Class C (Fleetwood Jamboree).
Like most others, I don't miss the sore back, load/unload, and seemingly inevitable thunderstorm on at least 1 day in tent. We still have the Stealth, but rarely use it unless we want both Harleys. I don't miss feeling like I was in a (very nice) box. But I do miss the feeling of being closer to nature. There's something about the way you wake up with nature in a tent.
As I get older, the nostalgia of tent camping outweighs the negatives, but I wouldn't trade the comfort of rolling out of bed to go to the bathroom at 3 a.m. in the comfort of my MH vs crawling out into the dar, searching for toilet paper, and remembering where the "potty" tree was located.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #40
We are ordering our TT this winter. What will I miss? Not:

Sleeping on an air mattress that deflates over night
5 of us freezing our butts off at night while roasting during the days
Peeing in the dark

I'm sure there will be something I will miss but it's hard to beat the things i won't

sharkbate is offline   Reply With Quote