Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #1

What do you miss most?

We recently upgraded from a 2004 Coachmen pop-up to a 27 ft TT. Did it for all the normal reasons (real bathroom, more space, more weather- and sound-proof, etc, etc, etc). I have, however, found a couple of things that I really miss from the pop-up (covered storage under the bunk ends and being able to see out of my rear view mirror to name a couple).

So, for those who have made an upgrade (tent to PU, PU to TT, TT to 5er, 5er to C, C to A, etc):
1. What did you have then?
2. What do you have now?
3. What do you miss from your old setup?

Purduepete
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #2

For us it was tent -> popup -> hybrid -> TT -> 5th wheel. Loved all the amenities as we stepped up the ladder. Only thing I really didn't like about the TT was the closed in feeling. It was hard to get used to at first after the wide open feeling of having all the tent ends opened up in the popup and hybrid, lots of light and fresh air. Our current 5er has plenty of windows.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #3

For us it was also tent > pop-up > hybrid > TT.

I did like the openess of the pop-up, with all of the curtains open it was very near to sitting outside. And the storage - between the front storage box, under ALL of the U-shaped dinett seats, and a ton of cabinets, I never had an issue finding a place to store something. I do miss using my rear view mirror too.

The hybrid had lots of windows, and when the bunk ends were zipped open it felt airy and spacious.

However, I DO NOT miss damp sheets, the confinement during bad weather, the cassett potty, the cranking of the pop-up in to it's open position, the having to use a ladder to get to the knobs to open the hybrid ends (I'm kinda short), the constant bumping in to one another if inside on a rainy day, the set-up time, having to duct tape something back on, or asking everyone else to leave the camper so I could get changed.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

We went from a Jayco Kiwi Hybrid to 28ft TT to 39ft 5ver. What I really miss is in the mornings at the lake in the kiwi and unzipping the ends, breathing in the fresh air and watching the water. The TT was good but just not enough room for everyone and the bathroom was too small and hooking up was a pain in the !@#$%^&. The Chapparell 5ver is great in it's own respect with plenty of room and storage but you can never get that outdoor feel from the kiwi. I miss that little booger.

gsjp1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #5

For us it was PU - TT - 5W. I agree with the rest of you, the PU felt more like you were outside camping. My wife and I mention that several times a year on our trips in our trailers.

However, we don't miss it that much that we'd go back - we love the space, storage and comfort in our trailers. Definitely huge improvements in sleep on a full mattress with memory foam topper vs the thin bunk end mattress.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

Tent(s) -> Pop-Up(s) -> Travel Trailer(s) -> Fifth Wheel.

I don't miss the TT one single bit. Not at all.

I don't miss dealing with the tenting of our Pop Ups.

I do miss the sounds, the open feeling and listening to the waves while relaxing on the bunk ends in our Pop Ups.

I miss the fun times we had with our DD when she was so young in our Pop Ups!

I can then use the washroom in our 5'r, and sit on our theatre seating and the nostalgia goes away...

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Going from a tent to an El Camino pop up to the various trailers and now a 5er, the only thing I miss is the ease of parking the El Camino.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #8

pop-up > hybrid > TT. Missed the 2 king size beds...one for sleep, and the other for storage, when we moved out of the pop up to the hybrid. Hated the hybrid so much, we only kept it 3 months, one trip, before trading it for the current TT.
bud121156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #9

We went from car camping to backpacking to class c.

Don't miss; the unloading and loading of everything from the car, tent camping next to rvs, sleeping on the ground, the oven effect of a tent.

Do miss; actually being in the wilderness, not seeing other people, $7 camping fees.
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #10

We went tent -> pop-up ->TT.

Like most, I miss the open air experience of the pop-up. Just not enough to go back...

Other things I miss are:
1- being able to un-hitch and hand park the pop-up, and point the trailer whatever way I please!
2- being able to fit the trailer in our garage. (I really miss this every time I pay our RV storage bill!)
Nights camped in 2014:29 | 2013:33 | 2012:32 | 2011:33 | 2010:30
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #11

We went from tent to pick up slide in to 24"tt to our new yesterday Rockwood 2703ws. So far just missing the $30,000.

Rockwood 2703ws
Ford f-150
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #12

Went from tent-28' TT-34' 5er.

I miss nothing about the tent, in fact I finally gave it to a local (happily) homeless guy.

Biggest thing I miss about the TT is it was paid off. I'll have the 5er paid off in a few years, but until then.......

My TT had the full rear window in the back, I miss that more than I thought I would, the wall of windows I have now nearly offsets it but I still miss it.

It took up less room in the driveway.

Otherwise everything about my 5er beats it. It maintains temperature better, pulls better, better floor plan. If it wasn't for the sour taste in my mouth over my recent service work I'd be a happy camper, pun intended.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #13
Site Team

Went from TT to fiver. Miss having my truck bed available for ATV and other large items. However, it did keep the wife from buying a porch swing once because I told her it would have to ride inside on the sofa. Not happening. Lol

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #14

Currently owned a 35' Rockwood Signature TT
I don't miss anything from our past equipment...just enjoying our current one with all it's amenities.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #15

Went from tent -> TT -> Class A.

Znly thing i miss was with tent i could throw it all on the bike and hit the mountains. Miss nothing on TT.

Now with the FR3 25DS i dont see me ever going back.

Full bathroom, king bed, AC and heat, satelite, and wifi.
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #16
Anacortesians

Started out with an '85 26' Class C (Ford 460 with a carburetor). Bagged it after 18 months. Now have a 32' '02 Georgetown Class A - comparison chalk & cheese. Unfortunately, 8 mpg at $4.00/gallon (compared to 6 mpg at $1.75) and CG fees now above $30 a night compared to $15 has meant that we can't afford the lifestyle any longer.

The rig needs a bit of attention (a few body dings and a non-functional generator) but I hope to have it with a consignment dealer by mid-October. Can't be bothered with the hassle of trying to sell it ourselves.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #17

We did tent->popup->TT. I miss my big three burner camp stove set out next to the picnic table and cooking breakfast in the morning air - sometimes. Could take it but the little stove in the TT is so convenient.

Miss the easy pull of the PU. TT waves us all around down the highway with wind and passing trucks. Never felt the PU.

Hated having to open the PU every time I wanted something from inside. Way better to just walk in the door of the TT.

Thinking 5er someday to improve pulling experience.

Brian and his Girl Crew
5 bikes - one top tube
Rig: 2004 Excursion 6.0 PSD + 2009 Salem 27' TT
b_garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Went from a 30' tt to a 39' fiver. I haven't had the fiver long enough to really develop much of a list. I miss backing something I was familiar with maneuvering and could get where I wanted when I wanted. I miss having easy access to my truck bed when towing. I also miss a pretty much problem free tt. I love my fiver and the space and Windows it provides. It is much more comfortable and ties so much nicer. It was worth the upgrade. Comfort in backing will come with time. Factory repairs next month should have the issues cured. Then there will be no looking back for us.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:01 AM   #19

Went from tent camping to buying a used 5ver last year. I miss hiking in the woods to get to the campsite. Things I don't miss: sleeping on a rocky ground, loosing 5 lbs in sweat a night laying next to 4 other people in a 3 person tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
97Powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:55 AM   #20
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Powerstroke View Post
Things I don't miss: sleeping on a rocky ground, loosing 5 lbs in sweat a night laying next to 4 other people in a 3 person tent.
I think you needed a bigger tent...

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote