Old 09-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
What do you miss most?

We recently upgraded from a 2004 Coachmen pop-up to a 27 ft TT. Did it for all the normal reasons (real bathroom, more space, more weather- and sound-proof, etc, etc, etc). I have, however, found a couple of things that I really miss from the pop-up (covered storage under the bunk ends and being able to see out of my rear view mirror to name a couple).

So, for those who have made an upgrade (tent to PU, PU to TT, TT to 5er, 5er to C, C to A, etc):
1. What did you have then?
2. What do you have now?
3. What do you miss from your old setup?

Brian, Stacy, and the girls (8 and 5)
2011 F-250 CCSB 6.7L PSD 4WD
2013 Solaire 269BHDSK
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
For us it was tent -> popup -> hybrid -> TT -> 5th wheel. Loved all the amenities as we stepped up the ladder. Only thing I really didn't like about the TT was the closed in feeling. It was hard to get used to at first after the wide open feeling of having all the tent ends opened up in the popup and hybrid, lots of light and fresh air. Our current 5er has plenty of windows.

2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
For us it was also tent > pop-up > hybrid > TT.

I did like the openess of the pop-up, with all of the curtains open it was very near to sitting outside. And the storage - between the front storage box, under ALL of the U-shaped dinett seats, and a ton of cabinets, I never had an issue finding a place to store something. I do miss using my rear view mirror too.

The hybrid had lots of windows, and when the bunk ends were zipped open it felt airy and spacious.

However, I DO NOT miss damp sheets, the confinement during bad weather, the cassett potty, the cranking of the pop-up in to it's open position, the having to use a ladder to get to the knobs to open the hybrid ends (I'm kinda short), the constant bumping in to one another if inside on a rainy day, the set-up time, having to duct tape something back on, or asking everyone else to leave the camper so I could get changed.
Craig & Lynn D'Angelo

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
We went from a Jayco Kiwi Hybrid to 28ft TT to 39ft 5ver. What I really miss is in the mornings at the lake in the kiwi and unzipping the ends, breathing in the fresh air and watching the water. The TT was good but just not enough room for everyone and the bathroom was too small and hooking up was a pain in the !@#$%^&. The Chapparell 5ver is great in it's own respect with plenty of room and storage but you can never get that outdoor feel from the kiwi. I miss that little booger.

gsjp1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
For us it was PU - TT - 5W. I agree with the rest of you, the PU felt more like you were outside camping. My wife and I mention that several times a year on our trips in our trailers.

However, we don't miss it that much that we'd go back - we love the space, storage and comfort in our trailers. Definitely huge improvements in sleep on a full mattress with memory foam topper vs the thin bunk end mattress.

Big Bad Wolf - '15 Dodge Ram 2500HD 6.7 CTD / Reese 15k Pro
Wolf Den 3 - '14 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8280WS
Nights camped 2015: 25
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Tent(s) -> Pop-Up(s) -> Travel Trailer(s) -> Fifth Wheel.

I don't miss the TT one single bit. Not at all.

I don't miss dealing with the tenting of our Pop Ups.

I do miss the sounds, the open feeling and listening to the waves while relaxing on the bunk ends in our Pop Ups.

I miss the fun times we had with our DD when she was so young in our Pop Ups!

I can then use the washroom in our 5'r, and sit on our theatre seating and the nostalgia goes away...
2015 F-350 SRW 6.7 PSD
2014 Crusader 295RST

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Mod free 5er
Going from a tent to an El Camino pop up to the various trailers and now a 5er, the only thing I miss is the ease of parking the El Camino.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
pop-up > hybrid > TT. Missed the 2 king size for sleep, and the other for storage, when we moved out of the pop up to the hybrid. Hated the hybrid so much, we only kept it 3 months, one trip, before trading it for the current TT.
2007 Fleetwood Westlake .... 2011 KZ Sportsmen Hybrid
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express Bunkhouse
2000 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 Ext Cab
bud121156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
We went from car camping to backpacking to class c.

Don't miss; the unloading and loading of everything from the car, tent camping next to rvs, sleeping on the ground, the oven effect of a tent.

Do miss; actually being in the wilderness, not seeing other people, $7 camping fees.
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
We went tent -> pop-up ->TT.

Like most, I miss the open air experience of the pop-up. Just not enough to go back...

Other things I miss are:
1- being able to un-hitch and hand park the pop-up, and point the trailer whatever way I please!
2- being able to fit the trailer in our garage. (I really miss this every time I pay our RV storage bill!)

2009 Roo 21RS
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ tow pkg
Nights camped in 2014:29 | 2013:33 | 2012:32 | 2011:33 | 2010:30
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote