Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #1

What do you take out of your camper for winter?

I live in WI and I'm curious what folks all take out of their campers for winter storage?

Besides any liquids that could freeze (cleaning supplies, soaps, etc.) we typically take all the bedding out, clothes, food, blankets, etc....basically 6 or 8 totes worth of stuff. Just wondering if i'm being to paranoid or not. Guess i'm worried about mold setting on things that could retain moisture due to temp fluctuations during the fall-winter-spring months until we go to use it next year.

Our camper sits on a gravel pad at an outdoor storage facility without any sort of cover on it.

SOLD-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 w/ Max Trailering Package
willie1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #2

I do the same, all food and anything that will freeze plus all clothes. All bedding and towels get in totes and I put out fresh cab packets and bounty dryer sheets and have not had any rodent problems.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1280 View Post
I live in WI and I'm curious what folks all take out of their campers for winter storage?

Besides any liquids that could freeze (cleaning supplies, soaps, etc.) we typically take all the bedding out, clothes, food, blankets, etc....basically 6 or 8 totes worth of stuff. Just wondering if i'm being to paranoid or not. Guess i'm worried about mold setting on things that could retain moisture due to temp fluctuations during the fall-winter-spring months until we go to use it next year.

Our camper sits on a gravel pad at an outdoor storage facility without any sort of cover on it.
All of the same as you plus anything we think mice might make into bedding should one get in.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #4

All liquids, detector batteries, food + spices, clothes. Bedding is left in the storage drawers.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Site Team

We take out all food, cleaning supplies, soaps, shampoo, conditioner and our 3 TVs. Some clothing we leave in and all the towels and bedding stay.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
We take out all food, cleaning supplies, soaps, shampoo, conditioner and our 3 TVs. Some clothing we leave in and all the towels and bedding stay.
Curious as to your reasoning for the TV's?

SOLD-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 w/ Max Trailering Package
willie1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Some flat screens shouldn't be stored below certain temperatures.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
No reason not to really. We've kept the boxes and it only takes a few minutes to stick them back in with the Styrofoam to keep them protected.

I know people say that they'll do fine in cold weather but I have friends that had a TV screen crack over the winter from freezing. So better safe than sorry.

Plus there's always the possibility of theft since our camper is sitting on our seasonal site that's an hour away. One less thing to worry about.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
My TV has gone thru 12 Nebraska winters in the TT.
Flat Screen.
Some clothes stay, bedding, towels, pillows, blankets....all stay. Batteries, liquids, food...all go inside home.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #10

Besides freezable liquids and such the only other things I take out/off are the batteries and propane. This is twofold. Being in a public storage facility makes them less likely to walk away and I keep the batteries in the garage putting them on a charger about once a month to keep a decent charge in them. I also use the propane on my grill throughout the winter.

We are actually more likely to put stuff into the camper for winter storage. We can vary between 2 to 13 people on camping trips so the amount of stuff we take varies. During the season any "extra" stuff gets left in the garage as needed but during winter storage I put it all back in. This includes mostly folding chairs and sleeping bags.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Also above certain temps...

I live in the Arizona desert, where the daily summer temps range from 115 to 126 degrees (and up to 160 inside the camper).

The manual for the two Vizio TV's in there said to keep them out of temps 114 or hotter as the heat can ruin the pixels on the screen.

That being said, I left the flat screens in my two campers for the last six years in Denver, where it gets really cold, without any incidents.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #12

The best practice is to remove everything from the camper. You'll be shocked at the amount of stuff that does NOT go back in the spring. But I don't do this and only remove stuff that can freeze or be eaten.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
My TV has gone thru 12 Nebraska winters in the TT.
Flat Screen.
Some clothes stay, bedding, towels, pillows, blankets....all stay. Batteries, liquids, food...all go inside home.
Yep, most will probably be fine. Just saying there are 'some' that say not to store below certain temps. For instance, my Insignia TV's manual states:

Quote:
• Storage temperatures are 32° to 122°F (0° to 50°C).
• Working temperatures are 41° to 104°F (5° to 40°C)
Will it die if it's stored below 0°? Probably not. Do I want to risk it at the prolonged 2-3 months below 0° we get around here? Probably not when it's just a couple of quick screws to unmount it. And in the new rig, it's mounted using one of those KeyBloc things, so it's really just a 'pull the release and lift it off'.

I don't pull all the electronics, just the TV. The soundbar, the DVD player, the clock, the weather station, etc. stay in the trailer. Flashlights stay in the trailer (though sometimes need new batteries in the spring). The Cell booster stays in the trailer. All the linens stay in the trailer. Basically, aside from the TV, the only other things I pull out are the edibles (food/water) and the perishable toiletries (soaps/shampoo/toothpaste).
Old 11-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #14

We camp all year so our camper stayed. These days I do winterize but that’s cheap insurance
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #15

We take all food, spices, oil, cooking spray out. We put our bedding, towels, silverware etc in storage bins but leave those bins in the camper. That way, we're mostly ready for the first trip in the spring.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #16

I have my staples - flour, sugar, etc. in Tupperware/Rubbermaid containers and they stay in the camper. I take our canned food since I missed one a couple of years ago and it exploded and made a huge mess. We have a residential fridge, so we also take the perishables out of there, but we leave it on throughout the winter.

We have camper sheets, towels, washcloths and some jackets that stay in the camper year-round.

We do take our batteries out and put them in a garage to winter there. Other than that, we are pretty ready to pull out with about a 15 minute notice.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:28 PM   #17

Down here in Florida we take out our bathing suits and snorkel gear. We load up our sweaters and the DWs boot collection
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #18

We live in Ontario and remove everything from our unit, clothes bedding , food, and all the gear you tend to accumulate through the summer. We then wash everything down with lysol. I put out fresh cab, bounce dryer sheets and a battery operated rodent chaser (change the battery monthly) I also put moisture absorbers in all the sinks to cut down on humidity build up. We are also fortunate to be parked on a gravel pad so less chance of rodents.I also remove the coach batteries and store them in the basement.
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #19

uneeded stuff

We traditionally just remove the obvious things that should come out for winter but this year at my wife's suggestion we removed everything. I mean everything. Our thought process is to evaluate what we absolutely need in the camper. As time passes, just as in our house, we end up with all sorts of unneeded gadgets etc. that we never use. This way we will start fresh next spring plus it will be fun some snowy day sorting through our camper gear.
camperclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #20

I live in Southwest Louisiana, what is winter storage?
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, winter