Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo2700 View Post
We were at NASCAR this weekend too. We ran our generator in the evening to cool down the trailer before the kids went to bed and to drown out the noise of the drunks so the kids to sleep.

On Friday night I had to crank the generator back on about 45 min after quiet hr (midnight) cause our daughter came down with a bad cough and needed her nebulizer. When I turned it on I heard a cranky old lady yell at me to turn it off. I went into protective parent mode, yelled an exploitative and that it was for a sick kid.

Like others have said...different people have different needs. If my wife and kids weren’t at the race with me I’d be able to go a few days without turning on the generator, but with families sometimes life comes up.
Have you considered a nebulizer that runs on 12 volts? Or an inverter to power the one you have?

Just curious.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #42

I haven’t looked into it. It’s a good idea though.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo2700 View Post
I haven’t looked into it. It’s a good idea though.
Here's one nebulizer that runs on 12 volts (or 120 with adapter) and only draws .8 amp (about 10 watts).

https://www.vitalitymedical.com/omro...yABEgKOWvD_BwE

Price looks good too at $30.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #44
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Most of y'all would never survive NASCAR camping. Life's too short to always be annoyed by trivial stuff.

Is that why you have hearing protection? Or is for the NASCAR vehicle noise. Maybe a respirator for the burned rubber and fumes from engines? LOL ! J/K but had to say it.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
Is that why you have hearing protection? Or is for the NASCAR vehicle noise. Maybe a respirator for the burned rubber and fumes from engines? LOL ! J/K but had to say it.
Maybe the hearing protection is so one doesn't have to listen to the whining of those who go to a NASCAR event and expect it to be quiet.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #46
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Maybe the hearing protection is so one doesn't have to listen to the whining of those who go to a NASCAR event and expect it to be quiet.
Truth. [emoji23]

Every year when I go to Sturgis, I camp at the Buffalo Chip. It's the campground for people that want to party nonstop. We all know this.

But, without fail, some freak always complains about the noise in the middle of the night. [emoji2379]
Flywithlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Most of y'all would never survive NASCAR camping. Life's too short to always be annoyed by trivial stuff.
We drive down from Canada to a lot of races and there is nothing more annoying than a neighbor with a champion generator going 24/7. Now I get it if your at Darlington and it’s 120 in the shade but Dover was cool so what gives. Nobody has any respect anymore.
Dieseldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #48

We have a new Forest river that came with a 12v only refrigerator/freezer and when we dry camp I use a solar panel but also need to run the generator at times because of the large drain on the battery from the refrigerator.
Kenludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
I’m sitting at a remote BLM camping area listening to 3 people run their generators into the night after having already ran them all day. Temps are not warm enough to need AC. So, I have to ask the generator users: what do you all need that much power for?

My family uses the electricity fairly liberally, at least in a traditional definition of “camping” (no cell booster, no TV, etc). We can easily go 3-4 nights without dipping the dual 6 volt battery system below 50%. And when we need more power, our $250 suitcase solar charger is both cheaper and quieter than a generator.

I seriously don’t understand why so many people need a generator.

I am even more confused as to why people want to drive out into the boondocks to listen to a generator all day long. It’s loud enough at my site, I can’t imagine how loud it is when the engine is right next to your camper.

What am I missing?
When there are disturbances in the force, I stop to appreciate my blessings, that I am still among the living & capable of witnessing said disturbances.
If it becomes too outrageous I'll just move the RV.
2004 Dodge 3500 SLT 4x2 6.7L, 6spd, DRW,
BrakeSmart controller,
Garmin NUVI 755
SCClockDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #50
Lifesylers

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
I’m sitting at a remote BLM camping area listening to 3 people run their generators into the night after having already ran them all day. Temps are not warm enough to need AC. So, I have to ask the generator users: what do you all need that much power for?

My family uses the electricity fairly liberally, at least in a traditional definition of “camping” (no cell booster, no TV, etc). We can easily go 3-4 nights without dipping the dual 6 volt battery system below 50%. And when we need more power, our $250 suitcase solar charger is both cheaper and quieter than a generator.

I seriously don’t understand why so many people need a generator.

I am even more confused as to why people want to drive out into the boondocks to listen to a generator all day long. It’s loud enough at my site, I can’t imagine how loud it is when the engine is right next to your camper.

What am I missing?
Running gens never bothered me. I have better things to gripe about. Loud out of control kids, barking not stop dogs, super loud music, campers lit up like a major airport runway system, and snotty neighbors. You can always move if needed, after all, boondocking you can expect some sort of power generation. Mine would be on when needed. Most peeps here have provided you with valid responses, not sure why you would even have asked in first place. Doesn't your RV have any issues that you could ask about.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldave View Post
We drive down from Canada to a lot of races and there is nothing more annoying than a neighbor with a champion generator going 24/7.
Just in case you are unaware. Champion also makes inverter generators that are just about as quiet as Honda & Yamaha generators.
YES, they make loud open-frame contractor-style generators but so does Honda and Yamaha.
So it doesn't matter what the brand is, as long as it's an open-frame contractor-style generator, it'll be LOUD.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #52

yep, totally get the inverters as I use a Briggs 3300, it is rather ironic that someone will lay out 40-50k for a beauty trailer but won't invest in a quiet genny.
Dieseldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:40 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
I think likely Lack of knowledge!

Too many do not know why a trailer comes with a cheap battery, brakes, far from enough to boondock in most cases.

Can’t do the math.

The dominance of rv’s with residential fridges maybe. The majority of rv’s they say have these fridges.

We do not boondock but, can go three days off the power. With a cpap!
fyi, I have a household fridge. and of course you know that absent the genny it runs on an inverter. this past weekend we boondocked at a dog show. no hookups in the expo parking lot. we ran the genny only to recharge after below freezing temps at night. then one night it got warm and the furnace never came on so the fridge was the only thing drawing from the batteries. I don't have a sophisticated power monitoring system, only the 4 red LEDs that came with the rig and in the AM all 4 still lit after all night of powering the inverter for the fridge. I was pleasantly surprised at efficient power usage of the household fridge
DennisSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:46 PM   #54

I run mine to cool the coach while driving the MH from my storage spot out to dinner.
(If I ever get to use my new MH for camping I might run the AC to cool the coach while driving it to an RV site)

to exercise mine I use it to power the weed wacker I use to cut the grass in my storage spot
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 PM   #55

I am curious as to why you get so upset. If you know they are going to be noisy because you have been bother by it all day move. Too many people today are too quick to be offended. There is plenty of land out there. Just my two cents .
ALABAMARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:00 PM   #56

We sometimes camp at primitive state park campgrounds and run the generator for maybe an hour in the morning to recharge the battery, but more importantly to have a good cup of coffee.
HSage3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #57

CPap

I would bet the number one reason people are running a generator all night is to run their CPAP machines. Where I go, a bunch of guys are using the generators for this.
tbirdkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:45 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdkeys View Post
I would bet the number one reason people are running a generator all night is to run their CPAP machines. Where I go, a bunch of guys are using the generators for this.
Why is it that no one ever heard of a CPAP 15 years ago?
Old 11-18-2019, 10:46 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
I think likely Lack of knowledge!

Too many do not know why a trailer comes with a cheap battery, brakes, far from enough to boondock in most cases.

Can’t do the math.

The dominance of rv’s with residential fridges maybe. The majority of rv’s they say have these fridges.

We do not boondock but, can go three days off the power. With a cpap!

What is your power source for running your CPap without a power source?
SlyCamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:58 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCamperz View Post
What is your power source for running your CPap without a power source?
Runs my smoker for 16 hours or my CPAP for a few nights....longer without the heater.

Rockpals 250-Watt Portable Generator Rechargeable Lithium Battery Pack Solar Generator with 110V AC Outlet, 12V Car, USB Output Off-grid Power Supply for CPAP Backup Camping Emergency https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SSMR6K..._lG20DbFZ9EJ7M
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator