Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What do you use to keep connected to the outside world when camping?
Don't travel with any communications device 0 0%
Only travel with a cell phone (dumb phone) 2 2.35%
Travel with a smart phone 27 31.76%
Travel with a laptop 25 29.41%
Travel with a tablet (Kindle, Nook, Galaxy, Surface, etc.) 7 8.24%
Travel with an iPhone 13 15.29%
Travel with an iPad 5 5.88%
Travel with a box of apples! ; ) 6 7.06%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
Oklahoma Proud

We just use our android phones. Sometimes we take a laptop if we know there is going to be wifi, but still don't usually get it out. And most of the time the only reason I have the phone is for pics or gps on the lake.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #22

Similar to others, my DW and I both have our Droids (Verizon 4G) and then I tether with PdaNet to the laptop at campsites if wifi is not available.

While on the road we usually have one phone on GPS for road conditions ahead and use the other for searching for the cheapest gas on gasbuddy.com (practically a full time job. We also have back-up batteries for both phones just in case (mine is heavy duty because I also use my phone as a GPS on the golf course...a normal battery won't last 18 holes and have much left by the end of the day)

Steve
calberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #23
Site Team

I picked up unlimited Broad Band for $20 a month so I could use the Internet on a laptop while camping. I recently got a new smartphone (Galaxy S III) for Internet access on the go. The Galaxy keeps me busy while during down time but can't see tethering it because I like simple. The 5 pages of directions TMobile gave me for tethering my BlackBerry was enough to make me pass on the idea.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I picked up unlimited Broad Band for $20 a month so I could use the Internet on a laptop while camping. I recently got a new smartphone (Galaxy S III) for Internet access on the go. The Galaxy keeps me busy while during down time but can't see tethering it because I like simple. The 5 pages of directions TMobile gave me for tethering my BlackBerry was enough to make me pass on the idea.
Terier
You didn't say who you got your unlimited broadband from. Was it TMobile or someone else? Sounds like a good price.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #25

I have a rooted At&T Motorola Atrix android. So I don't have to pay their exorbitant fee for tethering. I use it as a mobile hotspot for my wife's iPad and my laptop. I also have the Kindle Fire HD with hdmi out to my tv to watch movies etc.
kansas666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriddering View Post
Terier
You didn't say who you got your unlimited broadband from. Was it TMobile or someone else? Sounds like a good price.
T-Mobile is correct. There is a $10 discount for T-Mobile customers which drop the price down from $30 to $20 per month. It has unlimited usage but the speed can slow down after it reaches a certain point. I don't use it on a everyday basis so I don't know how much the speed would be affected.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #27

Not multiple choice?

Between the three of us we have 2 iphones, an ipad, an iPod, an android tablet, a kindle, a laptop, and a web-enabled flatscreen TV (gets hulu, netflix, etc on it's own).

The iPhones and can sling wifi to all of the other devices.

Most commonly we use the Apple adapter cord to connect our phones, ipods or ipads to the TV watch movies. I try to remember to rent a movie or two on itunes before we leave and have it already downloaded to the iPod so there is no need to use streaming data while we're there, but inevitably, we end up surfing.

Why do we bother leaving the house? Good question.... lol.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #28

I travel with a smart phone but rarely use it... it is more for gps to get from point A to point B.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #29

I use my galaxy s3 as an internet hot spot and my iPad when at the camping area. When we're out and about, I just use my smartphone. I can't be without it.
jameswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #30

my wife uses her iphone, i have a galaxy nexus i can do almost everything on but i still carry my laptop and if the park internet doesnt exist or is bad I have an android app called FoxFi that makes the phone a hotspot so I can use the laptop

2011 Dodge Ram
2013 Rockwood 8319SS
dsotmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #31

I just use my smart phone with unlimited data through verizon ( grandfathered in) and I tether off my phones data for internet on my laptop or netbook. Then Ill usually use hdmi off the computer and run netflix or something on the tv. All I can say is im happy I still have unlimited data while it lasts.

2003 ccsb 2500 Chevrolet/Duramax- some goodies- Thanks to Copperhead Diesel.

2002 Kit Millenium 358

RedHotGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage
Verizon.

Phone is a 4G hotspot as well.
Is the Verizon hotspot on a iPhone 5 included for free or do you pay extra? I have heard varying information.
Cyn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn61 View Post
Is the Verizon hotspot on a iPhone 5 included for free or do you pay extra? I have heard varying information.
VzW charges $10/m to enable the hotspots. In addition to whatever data plan you already have.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #34

The wife and I both have Galaxy 3's with Verizon. They don't charge anything for a Hotspot on the Galaxy. I just recently switched from an Iphone on AT&T to the Android on Verizon and I'm really happy with the switch. I do miss my unlimited data, but haven't even been close to my 4GB limit yet.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #35

My wife just corrected me on the hotspot fee. There is no charge on the share everything plan.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #36

You will rarely find me away from home without my iPhone(3G) and iPad(4G). And more often than not I have my MacbookPro along for the ride.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #37

We also have 2 iPhones, 2 iPads and 2 Macbook Pro's. Not to mention the camera bag. :-) Toys of all kinds are great! We have Verizon for the phones with the Share Everything plan so we can have hot spot wi-fi.

We use the laptops for uploading photos, the iPads for reading books and the phones for playing tunes and GPS stuff as well as apps for finding campsites, gas stations and food.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote