Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #21

DISH

Have Comcast at home, DISH in RV. Very easy to have them activate and then place inactive. You pay as you need. I can be watching TV in 15 minutes in HD. I call DISH when I leave and have them change the address to where I am going to be and request a local channels signal be sent. When we get there, put out the Winegard Pathways x2 and it does all the finding in 10 minutes. Not heavy. I stow it in the shower floor when traveling.

I tried a Tailgater and it never worked well for me. I also tried to do the small DISH thing but that was the work from HELL!

The Pathways works off the receiver 211z. These are under $100. One came with my 2015 Silverback, I bought the other at CW.

The GOOD NEWS about the portable unit is as others have said, set where there is a clear southern line of sight. DO NOT buy the one that requires a power source. I take my I Phone compass and in 1 minute find the southern sky by pointing the handle due north. Then I turn the TV on and go about set up. MAKE SURE YOU BUY A LOOOONNNNG CHAIN AND LOCKS. They can walk away when unattended and unsecured. Yes folks, there are dishonest campers out there.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm830 View Post
I currently drive thru the rv parks and see just about everyone having DirectTv Dish on the ground pointing up. I have older euipment for Direct TV,, receivers are (D11's) and i currently want to upgrade to HD receivers such as HR23 or HR24's, DirecTv wants me to upgrade dish and have wine guard install.

So what does everyone else use??????

IMHO Wineguard is *the* company. Here is a link to their RV SATCOM:
RV Satellite Antenna, Portable Satellite RV Antenna, Mobile Satellite TV Antenna

At last year's Goshen rally, Wineguard ran a show special on the carryout. Believe it was just under $500 for this unit:
Winegard Carryout G2 GM-2000 Portable Satellite Antenna

If they run this special again this year, we are gonna get one!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #23

Splurged and went with a Wineguard roof unit ($1,600 from CampingWorld) - works great for DirecTV HD. It has a power cable which runs the dish so that along with a signal cable has to come from roof to inside your coach. Had dealer install the signal cable down through roof to LR TV. They wanted $3,000 to wire all 3 TVs - that would give each TV it's own stations - we said no. We opted to install a RF transmitter (which sends both signal and sound, avail. from BestBuy) for the BR TV and I use an HDMI splitter for the outside TV. We use a DirecTV H25 receiver from one of our home BRs and take it with us when camping. Ordered DirecTV's RF remote to operate all 3 TVs.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfulton56 View Post
I feel horrible about having to share our story. We bought the tailgater from dish and as advertised did the pay as you go plan. Every time we would start a new month these two things happened. They would attempt to collect three months from us because they "don't have the pay as you go plan anymore", or the price would jump. Last time, our final time with Dish, they charged us 48$ for one month of service. We intend to give Direct TV a try, but for now we are using an antenna. So very dissatisfied with Dish.
Want to sell the Tailgater and box?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #25

NOW THAT IS FUNNY! Your dealer should be a stand up comedian! $3000?! Really?! Sounds like Hollywood money to me. At $100 per hour, that's 30 hours. Really?! My old 2011 Outback fiver sucked in the tv department.
Cost me $300 to have an independent makr it sing and dance😀 HINT: take off your Rolex watch and gold chains when negotiating.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfulton56 View Post
I feel horrible about having to share our story. We bought the tailgater from dish and as advertised did the pay as you go plan. Every time we would start a new month these two things happened. They would attempt to collect three months from us because they "don't have the pay as you go plan anymore", or the price would jump. Last time, our final time with Dish, they charged us 48$ for one month of service. We intend to give Direct TV a try, but for now we are using an antenna. So very dissatisfied with Dish.
Did you have dish network @ home?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #27

Things cost more in California I guess. I agree, $3,000 was outrageous. Probably works for those with $500,000 and up coaches, but not for us.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #28

Wow! I'm in California and I had the Winegard roof mount installed and wired to all 3 TV's for $300.00

2015 FR3 DS30
46sharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite