Old 08-08-2015, 01:42 AM   #1

What happened to Woodall

I just purchased a 2014 2503 Forest River Mini Lite. I've been looking for a book other than Good Sam. Years ago Woodall had a yearly book of campgrounds listed by state. It appears that publication is no longer available. Is there anything comparable to buy?

Old 08-08-2015, 05:59 AM   #2

Woodall's was eaten up by the Good Sam/Camping World Monster. Good Sam publishes that book now.

Bruce

Old 08-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #3

Bruce
I can't find a 2015?Woodalls North American Camping guide. Used 2012 editions are selling for as much as $1,900, which is totally ridiculous. I did find a 2014 for the Western United States for $29 dollars so I ordered it. No where could I find a 2015 North America Camping Guide.

The 2012 Edition sells for $85 on Amazon. It seems Good Sam stopped publishing this valuable book.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #4

Its called the Good Sam RV Travel Guide now.

http://www.goodsamclub.com/publications/
Old 08-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrod View Post
Its called the Good Sam RV Travel Guide now.

Publications
That's it!

Bruce
Old 08-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #6

I checked that link. How is that book different from the Good Sam Camping Guide that's been published yearly. Woodalls was not bias in favor of Good Sam Parks. No I understand why older Woodalls books are selling for such high rates.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Passport America also has a great book.....have to join, but not expensive
Old 08-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #8

You DO NOT need to be a member of Good Sam to use their PLAN A TRIP feature on line. SOOO many RV people have gone wireless and smart phones, it likely was too expensive to maintain in print. ( albeit, you can get the Good Sam directory in hard copy)
Having said that, I use the Good Sam site VERY FREQUENTLY. When you select your preferred area to stay, you DO HAVE OPTIONS; like next distance; ie; 15 miles/etc. YES, Good Sam parks ARE listed FIRST,as they should be; other NON Good Sam Parks are listed on the same string, just below the Good Sam preferred.
You also have RESERVE AMERICA on line AND a site for all FREE Corps of Engineer spots.
We have had EXCELLENT EXPERIENCES USING THESE ELECTRONIC RESOURCES. Also Trip Advisor reflects reported stays at many parks as well from folks reporting ratings. Those, combined with s good atlas and other resources such as low bridges; Next Exit and just GOOGLE can take you just about anyplace. Someone out there even publishes a list of Walmarts' for those choosing that option.
Information is abundant. Not always 100% accurate.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #9

Since I live on the West Coast I found a 2014 Woodalls North West Camping Guide on Amazon reasonably priced. The Good Sam book is more about making money through advertising then it is about helping find the right campsite.
I'm glad their on line services are useful but we often find ourselves without cell phone or Wi-Fi services
Old 08-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #10

I'd forget about a paper book and use something like Allstays Camping & RV app. (it's the best, IMO). It's not perfect, of course, but nothing ever is. Only 10 bucks and it is updated several times a year.

It's meant for a smart phone but I use it on an android tablet since I don't have a "smart" phone. Anyway .... lists thousands of camps, gas stations, RV dealers and repair shops, dump stations, etc. all over the country. Has links to RV campsite review websites so you can see what others think of a particular site. You can search for privates campgrounds, BLM ones, state or county campgrounds, yada yada yada.

If you are using it on a smart phone, you can even call a campsite from the app while you're traveling to make a reservation or ask a question.

I don't work for these people but have been using the app for several years and believe me .... it beats lugging a five pound, 3" thick book around that needs to be re-purchased every few years.

Allstays Camp and RV | RV Parks Campgrounds App