Old 03-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #31

We had to get the lien holder to consign the check. Camping reduced the estimated cost because of the work I'd done, making that check void. Had to wait for a second check then wait for bank of the west to process the second check ( they are VERY SLOW, and Very slow at processing the title when we paid it off as well)
But Do get yours fixed, and enjoy it.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #32

what Has Everyone Done About Hail Damage

What happened to our 2 month old 2015 Sandstorm TH was not from a Gail storm but the damage was pretty similar. Our next door neighbor decided to cut his weeds while we were not home. When we got home the whole passenger side of the trailer was splattered by rocks.

He caused $6,500 of damage to a brand new trailer. The complete passenger side had to be removed. Windows, doors, awning etc. had to be removed to replace all the damaged panels and decals.

After talking to various people we decided not to have it fixed. I'm convinced the trailer would never be the same if it all was removed and reinstalled. All these repair shops use cheap labor to tear things apart. Everything has to be reinstalled back into the same holes. The holes will always end up larger which means things will never be tight again.

The damage was processed through my neighbors home owners insurance and they cut me a check within 2 weeks. I've put that money aside in case we change our mind on fixing the damage.

It sucks about a new trailer being damaged but I don't want other issues down the road. Besides the dealer would have had the trailer for months to do the work.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Old 03-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #33

Check closely for spider cracks. If you see even one teeny one it needs to be repaired.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:08 PM   #34

Our friends have taken their 5er back to Forrest River on several different occasions for warranty and repair work. It's 2 1/2 hrs away, but worth the trip
Old 03-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #35
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

Hail damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
This would be my choice. Once you receive a fair settlement from your insurance, just leave the damage as-is. Hopefully the settlement will cover any loss of value when you sell.
Older trailer, hail damage. Repair would only introduce the possibility of
water damage from leaks. Took the insurance check, went on vacation....with the trailer. Made good campfire stories.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 PM   #36

My question is.....if I accept the insurance check and don't repair the damage,,,,can I file for hail damage again? Right now it is just denting on 2 sides and 1 broken clearance light cover that I have already replaced. Next time a lot more damage may occur and need to file to get it road worthy again.
2016 Days Camped: 4, Miles Traveled: 714
papatioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:25 PM   #37
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by papatioman View Post
My question is.....if I accept the insurance check and don't repair the damage,,,,can I file for hail damage again? Right now it is just denting on 2 sides and 1 broken clearance light cover that I have already replaced. Next time a lot more damage may occur and need to file to get it road worthy again.
Quick answer is no if similar damage but ...... Many times on multiple claim, claimants, the insurance company may ask for proof of repairs. Ie...shop repair reciept.

Now of course this may not be the case if you have light quarter size hail damage, get payed from that claim and then a little while later softball size hail comes thru and punches holes in everything (like we had in 2010 in the Okc metro area). In this case , insurance would pay again for damages, less the initial amount payed.

There can be different scenarios and if you pm me, i will give you my number and can explain it all in more detail.
We deal with auto collision and comprehensive claims every day so this stuff is just normal every day stuff.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:00 PM   #38

Thanks for the education on insurance MillerTime. I have a little time to decide. Agent told me I had 2 years to file a claim....and recommended I at least wait until after the spring storm season. If it wasn't for my wife I wouldn't file this go around.
2016 Days Camped: 4, Miles Traveled: 714
papatioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:28 PM   #39
Site Team

We've used State Farm for years. We had some heavy duty hail about 60 miles north of Dallas and our metal-sided trailer got whacked pretty well on two sides. So many people had damage, State Farm used some contract adjusters in order to get claims processed in a fair/reasonable time. Our adjuster wrote us a check for $5500 but told me "there's no way I'd spend any money reskinning this trailer. If it doesn't leak now, it will when a repair shop reskins it." I pocketed the money, patched vents and other plastic stuff, and straightened all mashed A/C top unit cooling vanes while I sat on a 5 gallon bucket. My back hurt terribly but I made the A/C look good as new. Some months later, I traded the TT on another used TT. Salesman: "Do you have any hail damage?" Me: "Yes, I was paid $5500 of which I spent none fixing the trailer." Salesman: "OK, we'll look at it when you bring it in for the trade." The trailer was at a COE park 6-8 miles away. After the $5500 payment, I had $3500 in the trailer. They gave me $11,200 for it as a trade-in.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #40

I bought my Palomino Puma with hail damage, got it at a good enough price to not really worry. I replaced the vent covers and fridge topper and left the dents alone.