Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelsonfl View Post
I had hail damage which damaged the Skylight but not the sides there was a guy sitting next to me with aluminum siding and he was pockmarked all over one of the sides
I think fiberglass is better in these situations.
I used to own a Layton that was fiberglass. Had a problem with the exterior skin bubbling. This is why I chose aluminum siding this time. You are darned if you do and darned if you don't.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
I use to cover my RV all the time, for 10 years, the last time I covered it there was a high wind & by morning I had two big tears in the roof. I traded my Rv in for a new one & have not covered if foe 6 years now &nI think it is a wise move. Sorry to hear about your problem & good luck. You may be in for more problems if you start to cover it up.IMO.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:41 PM   #23

Papatioman...let us know what State Farm says? I also have some damage and I am about to contact them.

Thanks
JCinAZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #24

As for hail damage, we had a Winnebago class A that had severe hail damage. The adjuster tried to get out of doing the roof because it didn't show. We won the argument.We took it back to the factory and stayed over several days while they reskinned it, roof and all. The insurance covered it 100% as a comprehensive claim.

Be firm and have the ins company pay for ALL of the damage.That's why you pay premiums. Otherwise, you will take the hit when it comes time to sell/trade. When we sold the Winnebago, there was no negotiating price because of unfixed storm damage.

As for the cover, we purchased a more expensive cover last fall before putting our Sunseeker 2500TS in storage. Within the first week, the rear bumper caused a tear in the cover even though we had padded the corner of the bumper with a rug.

Last month, we got a call from the storage lot owner stating that the cover had completely blown off the RV in a 40 MPH wind. We were certain that we had followed directions and buckled it down tight. The buckles on the straps are plastic and are not up to the task. We don't know how much damage has been done to the cover or if it damaged the RV flapping its way off. Even the better covers are paper thin. I don't believe it would stand up to damaging hail, less protect what's under it.

You could have a custom cover made with Sunbrella which is much heavier material. But much heavier material makes it very much harder to put on and makes the wallet much lighter.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinAZ16 View Post
Papatioman...let us know what State Farm says? I also have some damage and I am about to contact them.

Thanks
My State Farm agents says I have 2 years to file the claim. He did advise to wait until June to file. This would be past the spring storm season which can get rough in Oklahoma. No sense in paying the deductible and getting it repaired and have to possibly do it again. Makes sense to me. I will replace the side marker light covers that were broken and keep the receipts. Got plans for 5 days of camping first week of May.......woo....hoo!
Old 03-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #26

You are keeping a good spirit about it. It's a fright that we all have. Keep your chin up.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:13 PM   #27

Had racket ball sized hail in Hot Springs Arkansas 4/19/15. Damaged our hybrid tt and totaled our Murano tv. Got replacement vents and ac cover from Razoback camping in Hot springs, stayed another week then towed it home. The insurance covered everything except my out of pocket expenses from Razoback It took camping world about 2+ months to fix it, then re fix it correctly. + they managed to screw us out of some of the insurance money that should have covered my o o p costs, in addition to their general overcharging for the work.
We replaced the hybrid with a Rockwood 2304KS. NOT purchased at camping world.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Had racket ball sized hail in Hot Springs Arkansas 4/19/15. Damaged our hybrid tt and totaled our Murano tv. Got replacement vents and ac cover from Razoback camping in Hot springs, stayed another week then towed it home. The insurance covered everything except my out of pocket expenses from Razoback It took camping world about 2+ months to fix it, then re fix it correctly. + they managed to screw us out of some of the insurance money that should have covered my o o p costs, in addition to their general overcharging for the work.
We replaced the hybrid with a Rockwood 2304KS. NOT purchased at camping world.
I have been thinking along those lines. Let's say I file a claim with the insurance, it take a long time for the local dealership to effect repairs and I wind up with less of a TT than I have now and have to fight with everyone to make things right. There is a lien holder on the TT so I guess technically I'm supposed to have it fixed.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I guess local restrictions prevent you having a metal car port/shelter for
your trailer?
I want one just like that for our Sunseeker,,, have not yet found any one in Michigan that sells them !!! We had a Big Wind & Hail story go thru a few years back,,, one of the things it destroyed was our TT cover,,, along with several roof vent covers,,, it also did about 20k damage to our home,,, not mention scared the CRAP out of DW & I & The Dog !!!!!!!!!!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #30

the aluminum siding can be removed by authorized dealer repair facility and replaced with new strips. similar to that of siding your house.
whereas the unit is new the decals would not have faded so you are golden there.
try doing what my neighbor did with ours a couple winters ago after the first snow storm. he snow blowed our gravel driveway and pelted the sides and front and i didn't notice it for months.
We could have put in a claim but we didn't have a hail storm in mid winter so it wouldn't be classified as an act of God and not covered.
We let it slide.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #31

We had to get the lien holder to consign the check. Camping reduced the estimated cost because of the work I'd done, making that check void. Had to wait for a second check then wait for bank of the west to process the second check ( they are VERY SLOW, and Very slow at processing the title when we paid it off as well)
But Do get yours fixed, and enjoy it.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #32

what Has Everyone Done About Hail Damage

What happened to our 2 month old 2015 Sandstorm TH was not from a Gail storm but the damage was pretty similar. Our next door neighbor decided to cut his weeds while we were not home. When we got home the whole passenger side of the trailer was splattered by rocks.

He caused $6,500 of damage to a brand new trailer. The complete passenger side had to be removed. Windows, doors, awning etc. had to be removed to replace all the damaged panels and decals.

After talking to various people we decided not to have it fixed. I'm convinced the trailer would never be the same if it all was removed and reinstalled. All these repair shops use cheap labor to tear things apart. Everything has to be reinstalled back into the same holes. The holes will always end up larger which means things will never be tight again.

The damage was processed through my neighbors home owners insurance and they cut me a check within 2 weeks. I've put that money aside in case we change our mind on fixing the damage.

It sucks about a new trailer being damaged but I don't want other issues down the road. Besides the dealer would have had the trailer for months to do the work.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Bill1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #33

Check closely for spider cracks. If you see even one teeny one it needs to be repaired.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #34

Our friends have taken their 5er back to Forrest River on several different occasions for warranty and repair work. It's 2 1/2 hrs away, but worth the trip
Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #35
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

Hail damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
This would be my choice. Once you receive a fair settlement from your insurance, just leave the damage as-is. Hopefully the settlement will cover any loss of value when you sell.
Older trailer, hail damage. Repair would only introduce the possibility of
water damage from leaks. Took the insurance check, went on vacation....with the trailer. Made good campfire stories.
Bushbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #36

My question is.....if I accept the insurance check and don't repair the damage,,,,can I file for hail damage again? Right now it is just denting on 2 sides and 1 broken clearance light cover that I have already replaced. Next time a lot more damage may occur and need to file to get it road worthy again.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:25 PM   #37
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by papatioman View Post
My question is.....if I accept the insurance check and don't repair the damage,,,,can I file for hail damage again? Right now it is just denting on 2 sides and 1 broken clearance light cover that I have already replaced. Next time a lot more damage may occur and need to file to get it road worthy again.
Quick answer is no if similar damage but ...... Many times on multiple claim, claimants, the insurance company may ask for proof of repairs. Ie...shop repair reciept.

Now of course this may not be the case if you have light quarter size hail damage, get payed from that claim and then a little while later softball size hail comes thru and punches holes in everything (like we had in 2010 in the Okc metro area). In this case , insurance would pay again for damages, less the initial amount payed.

There can be different scenarios and if you pm me, i will give you my number and can explain it all in more detail.
We deal with auto collision and comprehensive claims every day so this stuff is just normal every day stuff.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:00 PM   #38

Thanks for the education on insurance MillerTime. I have a little time to decide. Agent told me I had 2 years to file a claim....and recommended I at least wait until after the spring storm season. If it wasn't for my wife I wouldn't file this go around.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #39
Site Team

We've used State Farm for years. We had some heavy duty hail about 60 miles north of Dallas and our metal-sided trailer got whacked pretty well on two sides. So many people had damage, State Farm used some contract adjusters in order to get claims processed in a fair/reasonable time. Our adjuster wrote us a check for $5500 but told me "there's no way I'd spend any money reskinning this trailer. If it doesn't leak now, it will when a repair shop reskins it." I pocketed the money, patched vents and other plastic stuff, and straightened all mashed A/C top unit cooling vanes while I sat on a 5 gallon bucket. My back hurt terribly but I made the A/C look good as new. Some months later, I traded the TT on another used TT. Salesman: "Do you have any hail damage?" Me: "Yes, I was paid $5500 of which I spent none fixing the trailer." Salesman: "OK, we'll look at it when you bring it in for the trade." The trailer was at a COE park 6-8 miles away. After the $5500 payment, I had $3500 in the trailer. They gave me $11,200 for it as a trade-in.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #40

I bought my Palomino Puma with hail damage, got it at a good enough price to not really worry. I replaced the vent covers and fridge topper and left the dents alone.