Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #1

What is best Warranty after factory expires

I have a 2017 Georgetown 364ts and want to be sure I have good roadside assistance as far as bringing me a tire in the middle of nowhere or if necessary towing the vehicle or fixing a battery or small type problem on the road. I am not wanting them to warrant the refrig or ac units etc but maybe fix them while on the road if possible. I know some things take forever to get parts. But just big things that could ruin a vacation if possible. I know this information is on here somewhere but can't seem to find it now when I need it. Warranty is up July 7 2018 except for drivetrain and a couple other items that have their own warranties. Thanks
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #2

So you are wanting roadside assistance or an extended warranty, or both?

Good Sam has a decent roadside emergency service. XtraRide Platinum Policy is a great extended warranty.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #3

For what you will pay for an extended warranty, put that money in a savings account for the off chance you have a mechinal break down.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
For what you will pay for an extended warranty, put that money in a savings account for the off chance you have a mechanicsl break down.
^^^ This!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
For what you will pay for an extended warranty, put that money in a savings account for the off chance you have a mechanicsl break down.
Good advice.

We travel a lot with the RV. Also have roadside assistance. Never used it. By the time they would show up (hours later), I've already handled the problem and continued.

As far as extended warranty, it depends. How many, and what type of problems, have you experienced with your RV? I never bought extended warranty on previous rigs as we had minimal problems the first few years. But our current rig had several expensive problems right off the bat, so we invested in the XtraRide Platinum and it more than paid for itself. It got us over the problem hump and now our six year old RV is fairly problem free.

Good luck and happy camping!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #6

Thanks really just wanted roadside assistance but I heard it is sometimes hard to get unless you already have an agreement in place because they have to come out to help then I believe. I agree no major problems with RV yet and will just pay for them when they come up instead of getting Warranty. Thanks
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #7

I use Coach-net, we had to call them recently, waited about two hours. Tire was flat
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #8

We have AAA + RV. $180 per year covers us in any vehicle and will also tow up to 100 miles.

Becky
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #9

FYI.........AAA Premier is required for travel trailers........but it won't cover boat trailers, for you fishermen/boaters. Good Sam will.

And remember...........none of these are truly a self-contained 'network' of repair guys. They all just contract with locals, and same local most times takes any of them, AAA, Coach-Net, or Good Sam Roadside. Sometimes a mobile guy might take only one, it's a crap shoot.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #10

X2
msroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #11

Our insurance is with Progressive and roadside assistance adds $8/yr to the premium for the trailer.

Roadside assistance for our PWC trailer is included in the policy at no charge.

FWIW, Progressive provides this service through Agero who is the actual provider.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #12

Check with your auto (RV) insurance carrier. I added a roadside assistance rider for less than $50. I had Good Sam a few years ago. Called em for a flat in a National Park. It was a joke. They didn’t arrive until the next day!
Old 06-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W Eason View Post
Check with your auto (RV) insurance carrier. I added a roadside assistance rider for less than $50. I had Good Sam a few years ago. Called em for a flat in a National Park. It was a joke. They didn’t arrive until the next day!
Good Sam didn't arrive at all. Not ever.

Some local repair guy they contracted with arrived.

I was in middle of nowhere, Louisiana and Good Sam came fine. Well of course they didn't, Earl's Tires out of Shreveport came, eventually.

It's like "Forest River is a Joke". No, they're not. Maybe parts are. Maybe other parts aren't. Same with Roadside Assistance. Unless the folks that answer blow you off and laugh at you, the problems are almost always due to the locals they contract with.

P.S.
I will never ever insure my camper with the same folks that insure my truck. Too much chance of lowballing a claim involving both. Plus the insurance carrier for my truck is good at trucks and awful at trailers.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
P.S.
I will never ever insure my camper with the same folks that insure my truck. Too much chance of lowballing a claim involving both. Plus the insurance carrier for my truck is good at trucks and awful at trailers.
To each their own, my policy for a totaled vehicle, including the trailer, is ACV. Having gone through a totaled vehicle claim within the past few years with a different insurance company, they were more than fair and the amount was not set in stone. Their initial offer was a bit low, so I made sure all the equipment, both factory and aftermarket, was included and the adjuster also adjusted the value of the aftermarket parts so the payout was more than fair.

Point being, if you have ACV then they can still try and low-ball but when it comes down to it if you can show that the valuation (done by a 3rd party) is low then it's not difficult to get them to increase what they're willing to pay out.

It also doesn't make sense that having multiple vehicles through the same insurance company would result in much lower payout vs separate companies. The vehicles have their own policies, limits, and the vehicles have their own values. I've never heard anyone claim any sort of "they screwed me because I had my trailer with the same company as my truck" problem because each vehicle would have its own value, they can't just arbitrarily say your vehicle(s) are worth less just because they're both with the same insurance company.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #15

I agree with money in the bank to fix what breaks. Extended warranties can drain you..
Dpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:37 AM   #16

Good Sam works

Broke a spring on a Sunday night of a long weekend on an interstate in Kenticky. Took Good Sam’s repair guy three hours to come,
but got us safely off the road. next morning returned with replacement spring and we continued in an hour. don’t expect instant service, but they will help.

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:44 AM   #17
"On the road again"

We have our vehicle insurance and RV insurance through Texas Farm Bureau Insurance (I believe each state has their own FB Insurance company) and for next-to-nothing we have the roadside assistance.

Like others have mentioned...in the past when I had other roadside coverage plans...I generally changed the tire myself if I was on the side of the road. Once a tire went flat while we were set up and I called for roadside assistance then. They showed up with a wrecker that could tow an 18-wheeler but didn't have a jack that would lift my fifth wheel.

I loaned him mine and taught him how to lift a travel trailer. In hindsight I should have just changed it myself.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
We have our vehicle insurance and RV insurance through Texas Farm Bureau Insurance (I believe each state has their own FB Insurance company) and for next-to-nothing we have the roadside assistance.

Like others have mentioned...in the past when I had other roadside coverage plans...I generally changed the tire myself if I was on the side of the road. Once a tire went flat while we were set up and I called for roadside assistance then. They showed up with a wrecker that could tow an 18-wheeler but didn't have a jack that would lift my fifth wheel.

I loaned him mine and taught him how to lift a travel trailer. In hindsight I should have just changed it myself.

That’s good to know, I have North Carolina Farm Bureau insurance. I’ll check out the roadside assistance from them
Thanks
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #19
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
That’s good to know, I have North Carolina Farm Bureau insurance. I’ll check out the roadside assistance from them
Thanks
I'd be interested in knowing for sure that other state Farm Bureau insurance companies offer it. Can you advise after you check please?

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #20
StlClay

Good Sams roadside has been good for us. Used 3 times in 3 years. Bought their extended warranty and let it laps after 2 years. Agree with putting away money in case

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, warranty