Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
don't know about when to call it a coach, however.... I do know when to call it a "dog house"

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Who is responsible for this mess? We are. The generation that invented texting on a cell phone. We've lost touch with our neighbors, our families are scattered all over the country, and we don't have time to talk on the phone to anybody in person, but we can text all day long, making short sentences, with nothing spelled correctly, and taking all the shortcuts we can just so we have more time to send more jibberish down the airwaves. (sorry, just had to rant a little.) and don't text me, have it blocked on my phone. If you have time to send a text, you have time to dial my number and at least leave a voice mail.
Can't remember where I saw it (poster, television show, movie), but it was something to the effect of "and don't you even think about making my texting device ring" I thought it fit today's kids perfectly.

cdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Site Team
For sure we do tend to generalize things. Some of it is harmless while some is confusing.
I got to agree that it's easier to know someone is referring to the television set when I read "TV set" vs just "tv".

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
Alleged curmudgeon
Well, here's what I think...

I am no taxonomist, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I will give it a shot...

I do not know a Class A from a Class B from a Class C, but I have been walking around for years thinking they are species of the genus interchangeably known as "Coaches" or "Motorhomes."

My travel trailer is neither a coach nor a motorhome, but is instead a species of the genus known as "Towables," which I understand to include all things towed in which one might sleep (including other species such as 5th wheels, travel trailers, hybrids, popups).

There is another genus which includes species such as "Truck Campers" and for ease of reference here, species such as "Car Campers" (those cars with tents which pop out of or attach to the hatchback of an automobile, the names of which I do not know).

All of the foregoing (Coaches/Motorhomes, Towables, Truck Campers, Car Campers, and all other variants on the personal-vehicle-turned-camper) are members of the common family known as "Recreational Vehicles."

While those with coaches do not always claim their lesser cousins, just as Homo sapiens attempt to exclude Neanderthals (and dare I say I have always suspected there may be a reciprocal sentiment), I still say we are members of the same family nonetheless.

Maybe I am all wet, but that's my working classification of such things.
2013 Windjammer 3008W
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0L w/Equalizer 4
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
Yeah, "Camper" is used a lot. Everything from a pop-up and truck camper to a class C is a "camper".
I never call a Class A a "Camper" though, I have to draw the line somewhere
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
Originally Posted by SCOC View Post
Yeah, "Camper" is used a lot. Everything from a pop-up and truck camper to a class C is a "camper".
I never call a Class A a "Camper" though, I have to draw the line somewhere
I would call a Class A a 'P'amper!
TV: '06 Ram 1500 SLT QCSB Hemi 4x4
TT: '12 Grey Wolf 27BHKS
Tow Acc: Tekonsha P3 BC, Curt round bar WDH w/sway control, CIPA custom fit tow mirrors
'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
I call my FW RV the Earth Station and I sometime carry my "Coach" purse ....... it is funny but I have people that message me asking about the ES!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
Now a "Top Member"
I go camping at a campground, therefore I have a camper that I trailer to the campground. And I am a camper. I just happen to have a 5th wheel towable pulled by a TV. That has a TV in it. I am in a class of my own!

Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2011 Ford F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is online now   Reply With Quote