Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #21

We have p traps at the kitchen and bath sinks but have that flapper thing under the shower. Try blocking off the shower drain and see if the smell still persist.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #22

hi, those valves are check valves, they allow air in, not out, so your plumbing works properly. When water moves it needs air behind it to keep up the speed. You are more than likely pulling air from the traps in your shower and bathroom sink. the check valves will open to allow air in and the air/smell is coming out of the shower and sink drain. IMO
Funbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimnDee View Post
It makes sense doesn't it...? I guess I just figured that if there is water in all the traps there is no way to get gas from the pipes. I never had this issue with my previous travel trailer and I assume that the plumbing system is inherently the same. I will look closer at this. Thanks!
The smell isn't coming through the traps but rather the air admittance valve under the sink. Negative pressure in the room will suck in air through this valve. You may need to replace the valve. They aren't expensive.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #24

Before spending money on replacing, check to make sure they are clean and tight. My valves were only in about 2 or 3 threads. I removed them. One valve had plastic shavings under the diaphram. I cleaned that out and then I added some joint compound to the threads. After reinstalling the valves and hand tightening, I have not had a problem. I do expect in a year or so they will need replaced, but it temporarily saved some money.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #25

Hi, at trailer this weekend. another reason, when you flush the toilet it will pull air out of the toilet. there is no water trap in the those toilets. the air comes through check valve and up out of the toilet when the gate valve is opened when flushing
Old 07-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #26

also air can be pulled down the vent stack and up through the toilet