Old 08-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Big Vic;945385]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleburg Redneck View Post
You point your dish towards the SE sky. However us folks here on the East Coast point ours towards the SW skyQUOTE]

I thought you East Coast guys were never far from a cable TV hookup!!!
So true. But to paraphrase if I may - "I want my DirecTV!"

Old 08-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
Boxerluver

Best Antenna for Direct TV

I have been researching this for a while. If you want HD the only one that will work is the DTV antenna which is anywhere from $1500.00 -$2000. If you are happy with SD, the Winegard will work. However, it is also not cheap but it is way less than the DTV antenna. Just can't justify that cost.You still would need a DTV box. The other way is getting a slimline dish and a DTV box. This can be very frustrating if you can't find and line up your satellite. And if you are camping in the woods you won't find it unless you find a bare spot in the trees at your campsite. So for our new fifth wheel we have opted to do nothing so far and just watch DVD's or local channels which has worked ok so far. I am thinking of trying the dish and box again for a cost of ~$300. Or maybe we just can read? or not per my husband.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #13

This is an HD setup I describe below...

last fall I picked up a SWM SL-5 DirecTV dish off ebay for about $70 delivered then paired it with the heavy duty combo tripod package from TV4RV.com @ $165

Heavy-Duty Combo Package for RV TV Satellite Dish

I also take my at home receiver with me when I travel.

After my first time setup, which was a learning experience, I was able to get my setup time down to 20 minutes the second time and then 15 minutes or less for flawless satellite TV watching the next 4 times I moved around FL last winter.

I also downloaded an app for my smartphone called "dishpointer" for $10

This app uses the camera on your phone to help you find a hole in overhead trees to help spot the location of the 101 satellite that direcTV uses. This gets you started in the right spot for tripod location and the direction for dish pointing. The step by step method given to you by TV4RV with the tripod spots the satellite with 90% accuracy the first time. 90% is enough to get excellent results on the screen. You can tweek from there to get nearly 100% but I have found that 90% is fine.

The TV4RV owner and website was very responsive to the one email question I had. Even sent a followup email to make sure everything worked fine after I ordered.

I like the manual setup better then the automatic types because it is more under my control, as I don't have to rely on some hidden mechanism to auto find the satellite. I have read a number of horror stories of $500 auto dishes not working right and no way to get it fixed. My method breaks it down to a tripod and a dish... a dish, or just the LNB part of the dish is easily replaced for not much money if that turns out to be a problem. The tripod is nearly indestructible and comes with a nice carry bag.

The use of this slimline SWM SL-5 dish allows the use of a single cable. I anchor the dish easily using a ratchet strap and an anchor driven into the ground to keep it secure in the wind. The biggest thing when setting up is to have the tripod LEVEL, and the HD tripod that I refer to is very easy to setup to make that happen. Once level, setting the dish to the offset (twist), direction and angle are very easy using the calibration marks on the tripod and dish and using the settings on the receiver that are given to you onscreen once you type in the zip code. I first used a small TV screen that I setup outside very close to the sat setup so that I can get instant feedback when dish pointing. But after I got used to the setup steps, I found I no longer had to do that as the dish pointing was, as I said 90% accurate after setup.

If you want to discuss this system further, PM me...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #14
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
King Flex portable... ..direct,dish,bell Amazon or Tweeties.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #15

Go to Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod and you will have to go nowhere else. This place is the best resource for satellite TV for your RV.

Bruce
Old 08-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
This is an HD setup I describe below...

last fall I picked up a SWM SL-5 DirecTV dish off ebay for about $70 delivered then paired it with the heavy duty combo tripod package from TV4RV.com @ $165

Heavy-Duty Combo Package for RV TV Satellite Dish

I also take my at home receiver with me when I travel.

After my first time setup, which was a learning experience, I was able to get my setup time down to 20 minutes the second time and then 15 minutes or less for flawless satellite TV watching the next 4 times I moved around FL last winter.

I also downloaded an app for my smartphone called "dishpointer" for $10

This app uses the camera on your phone to help you find a hole in overhead trees to help spot the location of the 101 satellite that direcTV uses. This gets you started in the right spot for tripod location and the direction for dish pointing. The step by step method given to you by TV4RV with the tripod spots the satellite with 90% accuracy the first time. 90% is enough to get excellent results on the screen. You can tweek from there to get nearly 100% but I have found that 90% is fine.

The TV4RV owner and website was very responsive to the one email question I had. Even sent a followup email to make sure everything worked fine after I ordered.

I like the manual setup better then the automatic types because it is more under my control, as I don't have to rely on some hidden mechanism to auto find the satellite. I have read a number of horror stories of $500 auto dishes not working right and no way to get it fixed. My method breaks it down to a tripod and a dish... a dish, or just the LNB part of the dish is easily replaced for not much money if that turns out to be a problem. The tripod is nearly indestructible and comes with a nice carry bag.

The use of this slimline SWM SL-5 dish allows the use of a single cable. I anchor the dish easily using a ratchet strap and an anchor driven into the ground to keep it secure in the wind. The biggest thing when setting up is to have the tripod LEVEL, and the HD tripod that I refer to is very easy to setup to make that happen. Once level, setting the dish to the offset (twist), direction and angle are very easy using the calibration marks on the tripod and dish and using the settings on the receiver that are given to you onscreen once you type in the zip code. I first used a small TV screen that I setup outside very close to the sat setup so that I can get instant feedback when dish pointing. But after I got used to the setup steps, I found I no longer had to do that as the dish pointing was, as I said 90% accurate after setup.

If you want to discuss this system further, PM me...
Or, you can spend 1500 bucks, install the roof mounted dish yourself, get your camper all level, hit a button and let the dish do all the set up for you while you get your TVs, receivers, DVD player, etc. out and plugged in. In 15 mins your watching ESPN while you get the rest of your camper and site set up. And, the best part is you don't have to worry about resetting it if it gets knocked over or out of alignment.

For me, the 1500 bucks was well worth the investment.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Or, you can spend 1500 bucks, install the roof mounted dish yourself, get your camper all level, hit a button and let the dish do all the set up for you
and hope you have no trees blocking your Sat view on your parking pad...

Quote:
For me, the 1500 bucks was well worth the investment.
or you can spend $250+ or- and pocket $1250 for 15 minutes of work each time you camp...

different strokes for different folks...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #18

After several years setting up the Slimline 5 LNB, I decided that I could live with Direct TV's SD signal and bought a Winegard Carryout G2. It weighs 14#, stores easily, and all I have to do is check for obstacles in the southerly direction. It does the rest. I use over-the-air antenna for local channels or the Park's cable if over-the-air isn't available.

The dish, LNB's, arm can be damaged while traveling.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo70 View Post
After several years setting up the Slimline 5 LNB, I decided that I could live with Direct TV's SD signal and bought a Winegard Carryout G2. It weighs 14#, stores easily, and all I have to do is check for obstacles in the southerly direction. It does the rest. I use over-the-air antenna for local channels or the Park's cable if over-the-air isn't available.

The dish, LNB's, arm can be damaged while traveling.
X2 on the Carryout G2, love it. So simple to setup.

Make sure your receiver is not SWM.

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #20
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
and hope you have no trees blocking your Sat view on your parking pad...

or you can spend $250+ or- and pocket $1250 for 15 minutes of work each time you camp...

different strokes for different folks...
X2

Tags
antenna