Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #21
Left Coast
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: vancouver,washington
Posts: 15,649
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
FYI....had to call direct to flash my box...traveling from west coast to east coast, portable Flex lost satillight in M Missouri
__________________

__________________
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #22
Maron
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 253
Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Wow thank you all for some great input. Late today I bought a Winegard Carryout Anser and gave up trying to connect it an hour ago, just as the Mosquitos were coming out.
I will try again along with Rsdata's satellite app suggestion.
Thanks again everyone.
__________________

__________________
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 209
I now have a Winegard portable because it works with DTV or Dish, but I have used the Dish like Big Vic in the past. Neither were / are difficult to do. The Winegard is a little easier and more compact to travel with but it is also more expensive. If you tend to stay for a long time the dish would be a less expensive alternative but if you move around a lot the Winegard would be easier - IMO.
__________________
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:43 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 73
We bring our HD DIRECTV DVR from the house. We have a SWM HD dish that I set up on a tripod and point South South East. I purchased a HD sat finder from Sat Pro, simple to use.
Then our job is done in about 10 minutes. The great thing with the DVR is that while out and about durin the day having fun. We come home at night and can watch any of our recordings at our leisure.
Life is good!!!
__________________
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie1 View Post
We bring our HD DIRECTV DVR from the house. We have a SWM HD dish that I set up on a tripod and point South South East. I purchased a HD sat finder from Sat Pro, simple to use.
Then our job is done in about 10 minutes. The great thing with the DVR is that while out and about durin the day having fun. We come home at night and can watch any of our recordings at our leisure.
Life is good!!!
South south east? Are you in Hawaii?

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 513
You have a number of choices for an antenna. Most expensive is an LNB5 SWM roof mount with automatic pointing. The LNB3 SWM is a bit less expensive and still gets you almost everything. Both of these require a separate 21V power supply to run the amplifier in the antenna.

Roof mounts are great and easy to use, fold down when travelling, and are a disaster if you get parked in a tree shaded spot. Carry out antennas start with simple tailgater versions that receive one satellite and require manual pointing, carryout ones that will automatically point and manual pointed LNB3 and LNB5 SWM antennas that mount on a tripod and pole.

SWM antennas multi[plex signals from multiple satellites on a single wire and are what DTV now uses for most, if not al,l home installations. f you get a portable dish that's the same as the one installed on your house, it's easy to move the receiver back and forth without having to reconfigure it for different antennas. Make sure you get high quality cable rated for satellite use. RG59 has significant losses at satellite frequencies and should be used only as a last resort.

We purchased our tripod mount portable LNB5 dish at Solid Signal in Michigan and have used it from near home in Ohio to Glacier National Park, California, New Mexico and other places we stay at for more than a day or two.

Phil
__________________
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
South south east? Are you in Hawaii?

Bruce
No. We are in Southern California.
It's actually Just East of South. But it doesn't really matter. You just get it close and use the SatPro satellite finder...

PS. It's great to have the options also with the DVR.

Take care.
__________________
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Pod2Vibe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dublin Ranch, CA
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maron View Post
Wow thank you all for some great input. Late today I bought a Winegard Carryout Anser and gave up trying to connect it an hour ago, just as the Mosquitos were coming out.
I will try again along with Rsdata's satellite app suggestion.
Thanks again everyone.
Winegard has an app for the anser but not for the Mosquitos:

"The Winegard mobile app makes it easy to set the elevation on your Carryout Anser antenna" Winegard Mobile App

Good Luck!
__________________
Pod2Vibe
2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped
TOAD: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 1,547
TV4RV tripod and Slimline DTV dish

I found some pics that I took last winter setting up the tripod and dish for HD on DirecTV. The tripod comes in the long back storage bag shown in the first photo and has room for cables and such.

I bought this tripod setup from
TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod

The dish setup was very stable but on a couple of occasions I used a ratchet strap and a screw anchor (provided with the Tripod kit) between a loop under the top of the tripod and the anchor screw to make sure it did not blow down.

Once you setup the base tripod, you use a bubble level and adjust the legs to get perfect level (90 deg to the ground) which is the key to easily pointing the dish and acquiring the satellite using the included compass and degree markings built into the tripod.

As I mentioned in a previous post I got down to about 10 minutes setup time by my third setup and was watching HD at that point. Brought my home receiver with me. I store the dish with arm attached in the "hallway" of my Shamrock 183 while traveling. TV4RV sells a hinge arrangement for the LNB arm, which I have not yet purchased.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a50-DSCF6119.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	85674   Click image for larger version

Name:	a50-DSCF6121.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	85675   Click image for larger version

Name:	a50-DSCF6122.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	85676   Click image for larger version

Name:	a50-DSCF6127.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	85677   Click image for larger version

Name:	a50-DSCF6131.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	85678  

__________________


2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I found some pics that I took last winter setting up the tripod and dish for HD on DirecTV. The tripod comes in the long back storage bag shown in the first photo and has room for cables and such.



I bought this tripod setup from

TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod



The dish setup was very stable but on a couple of occasions I used a ratchet strap and a screw anchor (provided with the Tripod kit) between a loop under the top of the tripod and the anchor screw to make sure it did not blow down.



Once you setup the base tripod, you use a bubble level and adjust the legs to get perfect level (90 deg to the ground) which is the key to easily pointing the dish and acquiring the satellite using the included compass and degree markings built into the tripod.



As I mentioned in a previous post I got down to about 10 minutes setup time by my third setup and was watching HD at that point. Brought my home receiver with me. I store the dish with arm attached in the "hallway" of my Shamrock 183 while traveling. TV4RV sells a hinge arrangement for the LNB arm, which I have not yet purchased.

I use a tripod for my dish, I'll take some pictures tomorrow but it's homemade and cheap. I was so scared of setting up the dish but now I can set it up and be watching tv in 15 min. I call my wife with a smart phone and we both set the phones on speaker and I just listen for the signal to get stronger on the tv, you can hear it. I ordered mine from Solid Signal and just take my receiver from home. I have a Tailgater from Dish, I need to sell it. It works good but I have Direct now.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
antenna

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.