Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 07:31 AM   #81
ENE

With the Slingbox connected at home can you control your receiver at home so you can watch shows that have been previously recorded?
We record everything we watch, so we can watch later when its convenient and fast forward thru commercials. If the Slingbox won't let me watch my record stuff on the receiver than I can only watch shows that are not on-going stories.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:34 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Your installer told you a lie. If you do not have internet connectivity (which is not required), DirecTv has no way of knowing the status of your receiver. The receiver is just that -- it receives. It, and your LNB are not capable of sending a signal to the satellites, which would be required if DirecTv wanted to track your receiver.

Bruce
That could be, kinda of strong saying he lied. He might have been misinformed and in return misinformed me. All I know is that he programed the chip they put in to my address when they installed my new receiver. The old chip would not allow programing in the new receiver. He is also the person that showed me how to set it up for my RV and which box to use. Never had a problem since. As others have stated DRTV wants money if you travel with it. How would they know? Just repeating what I have been told. I have tried to switch the cards from the main to the bedroom, IT will not work.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #83
Site Team

See post #4 in the included thread for a pic of my homemade DIRECTV antenna stand.

Regarding DIRECTV charging me when I travel: they do not... at least on the trips I've made. I take my main Genie receiver from my living room and a Genie-mini client from my bedroom and head out. I can set it up in minutes now -- for HD reception. On a 300+ mile trip away from home, I wasn't getting all the channels I wanted, so I called DIRECTV and the technician changed my address on their system to the address of the RV park where we stayed two weeks. He told me to call in when I got home and have my address changed back to my home. I did. I have also called in on trips because my remote lost its head and wouldn't operate the system correctly. After a couple of techs told me I needed a new remote, the prize-winning tech walked me through reset procedures and all was well. I gave all this phone detail to show that DIRECTV knows I had taken my receivers away from home and I've never paid an extra ¢.

See post #4 here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-tv-71149.html

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleburg Redneck View Post
Its not portable but this is what I use. Depending on how much time you spend in your RV this one makes a world of difference when it comes to set up and take down. It isn't cheap by any means.

Winegard DIRECTV Slimeline Satellite antenna SK-3005

X2 !
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #85
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I just use a dish mounted on an old craftsman work light tripod with a small receiver from home. Directv knows I use it camping because I told them. No extra charge and when I don't use the box they shut it off for me, typically six months at a time. I also use the setup for my patio which is about 100 feet from house and I don't have a cable buried out there. Once I have lined the dish up correctly once it's a piece of cake after that. Only problem I have is the receiver I have doesn't seem to do the "beeps" when looking for signal. I have to watch the tv screen and watch for the signal strength numbers instead.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
See post #4 in the included thread for a pic of my homemade DIRECTV antenna stand.

Regarding DIRECTV charging me when I travel: they do not... at least on the trips I've made. I take my main Genie receiver from my living room and a Genie-mini client from my bedroom and head out. I can set it up in minutes now -- for HD reception. On a 300+ mile trip away from home, I wasn't getting all the channels I wanted, so I called DIRECTV and the technician changed my address on their system to the address of the RV park where we stayed two weeks. He told me to call in when I got home and have my address changed back to my home. I did. I have also called in on trips because my remote lost its head and wouldn't operate the system correctly. After a couple of techs told me I needed a new remote, the prize-winning tech walked me through reset procedures and all was well. I gave all this phone detail to show that DIRECTV knows I had taken my receivers away from home and I've never paid an extra ¢.

See post #4 here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-tv-71149.html
You are correct, I just got off the phone with DRTV, they said there is no charge to use any of my recivers when I travel. Past 300 miles from my home address I would not get local stations without transferring my zip code to them. So in other words, I can get everything in Florida except local channels. If I do not transfer my zip code with them from Virginia to Florida which is over the 300 mile limit. Now this is my understanding.... But in Florida if I want local channels I just have to switch to over the air and not change my zip code. The zip code is the key to get local stations. If I remember right, along time ago there was a post about how to change from satellite to over the air to local easily. Does anyone know that way? Thanks in advance for info on that.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That could be, kinda of strong saying he lied. He might have been misinformed and in return misinformed me. All I know is that he programed the chip they put in to my address when they installed my new receiver. The old chip would not allow programing in the new receiver. He is also the person that showed me how to set it up for my RV and which box to use. Never had a problem since. As others have stated DRTV wants money if you travel with it. How would they know? Just repeating what I have been told. I have tried to switch the cards from the main to the bedroom, IT will not work.
I actually have another HD DVR that we use in our RV. When I am at home I hook it up in our garage. So when I'm messing around in the garage I can have sports on my TV out there also. DIRECTV doesn't care. In fact they sold me the extra receiver when I called to ask them about one I was thinking of buying on eBay. Theirs came with a warranty too.
Main reason we have DIRECTV is because of the portability of the service. Believe me, we get plenty of digital cable company's that want me to hook up their Sevice at our house.
DIRECTV have always taken care of us and to me, customer service is key these days.

Barrie
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie1 View Post
You may get a tripod, HD dish and cable for around $100 and above. But you need a HD Satelite finder. Those are expensive. The one you can buy for $20 will not work on HD. You will need a Satpro to help aim the dish and dither in the 2nd Satelite.

I think my HD Satpro Finder cost me about $250. But it works well and makes life easy.

DIRECTV sold me another HD DVR receiver for $95. No worries about the eBay rip offs. And it came with a 90 day warranty.

You are wasting your money to purchase a satellite finder, you don't need one. I take the Gennie from my living room and it works just fine on the road. Direct can not tell where you are at, you just lose local programming

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbalentine View Post
With the Slingbox connected at home can you control your receiver at home so you can watch shows that have been previously recorded?
We record everything we watch, so we can watch later when its convenient and fast forward thru commercials. If the Slingbox won't let me watch my record stuff on the receiver than I can only watch shows that are not on-going stories.
I don't have a DirectTV DVR, but I can control my receiver via the Slingbox.
As a mater of fact the remote on the screen looks exactly like the DirectTV remote. Through my router as long as I have 600KBPS upload speed I can watch my DirectTV on my wife's tablet or my laptop from anywhere I can get WiFi . I leave my DTV receiver on, the Slingbox on, router on and my computer so I can reset the router remotely if needed (I use TeamViewer for that ). The TV does not have to be on. So far I am pleased with Slingbox, but you might want to check their web site for more info.

It is not the same as Apple TV or ROKU.

BTW, I was told by a Family member that works for DirectTV that all of there receivers belong to DTV. You can not really actually ever own one. For what that is worth.

Tags
antenna