Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 05:36 AM   #61

I have Direct TV and the old dish. I learned that If I turn on my outside speakers I can here the beeps really well. I take the little extra bedroom receiver with me for it. I learned and was told by an old sea salt radio guy that you can just leave your azimuth set at 38 degrees any place east of the Mississippi. Mine will work at that setting no matter if I'm home in Virginia or in Florida. Then just turn it left to right to get it tuned in. After you get the direction to point it.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:01 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have Direct TV and the old dish. I learned that If I turn on my outside speakers I can here the beeps really well. I take the little extra bedroom receiver with me for it. I learned and was told by an old sea salt radio guy that you can just leave your azimuth set at 38 degrees any place east of the Mississippi. Mine will work at that setting no matter if I'm home in Virginia or in Florida. Then just turn it left to right to get it tuned in. After you get the direction to point it.

You are right about the azimuth setting, just go slow right or left. DW calls me on my phone and with both phones on speaker and I hear the beeps really well. You can fine tune the antenna but I never do that. The antenna does have to be level but I made a mod on the tripod and now that's easyClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445425155.725872.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	92371Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445425241.415351.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	92372Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445425285.488672.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	92373

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #63

I stopped carrying my satelite equipment and have gone to a sling box. As long as I have WiFi or internet I can get my home DirectTV.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I stopped carrying my satelite equipment and have gone to a sling box. As long as I have WiFi or internet I can get my home DirectTV.
I have heard of that, but isn't that the same as streaming over the CG internet? It would depend on the CG internet unless you use something like a jetpack your own internet connection? I could get sling TV with my Roku, but it eats up my minutes I pay for 5 gigs a month, which is plenty for emails and surfing....But not nexflicks or Amazon Prime.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #65
Always Learning

Quote:
I have heard of that, but isn't that the same as streaming over the CG internet? It would depend on the CG internet unless you use something like a jetpack your own internet connection? I could get sling TV with my Roku, but it eats up my minutes I pay for 5 gigs a month, which is plenty for emails and surfing....But not nexflicks or Amazon Prime.

Yes.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #66

Yes. We just take our DIRECTV tevo and hook it up with our SWM dish that I have mounted on the tripod. So, I also have the HD and our DVR.
I was at the RV Show here in So Ca last weekend. Spoke to the Satellite man. He said if I get the Geni the master box puts out its own wireless signal. Then I can put a small slave receiver in the bedroom in our 5er.
I'm into that. Then my wife will be happy.
Life is good.
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #67

Most places I have stayed have free WiFi or minimal charge and it works great.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #68

Thanks. Now. so I understand. You take your Genie receiver and connect it to the RV satellite and you can view your at home Direct TV programming? I have the Genie HR 44-500. So, if I purchase the system that was mentioned in an earlier post that comes with the Dish and the tripod I will be able to connect my receiver to it? The reason I ask is when I contacted Direct TV they told me that I'd need to purchase one of the round devices that attach to the roof of your RV and then pay them another monthly fee for on the road programming.
toddlafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #69

Of course they won't tell you that you can take your home receive and your own dish and get all, but your home local channels. When I do carry my DirectTv receiver I have no trouble getting my HD channels without paying any thing extra. Make sure the dish you get will work with your receiver.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #70

I think Slingbox is a little different than ROKU. The Slingbox connects between my DirectTV receiver and my TV. With a wireless router at my home I can pick up my receiver through WiFi or any internet connection. I am not familiar with ROKU and don't believe they work the same.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:17 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I think Slingbox is a little different than ROKU. The Slingbox connects between my DirectTV receiver and my TV. With a wireless router at my home I can pick up my receiver through WiFi or any internet connection. I am not familiar with ROKU and don't believe they work the same.

With slow WiFi at campgrounds I doubt if it will work, I bet it will burn a lot of data up if you use a hotspot. My son brought me Apple TV but if you don't have a good WiFi signal I would burn my 18 gigs of data up in no time. The Apple TV is still in the box because my 40in Sony tv has only one HDMI slot and I use that for Direct tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #72

It has worked great at two campgrounds so far using their WiFi. I am not using any Apple products.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbalentine View Post
I found a local vendor that sales the complete package, antenna, tripod, cables, connectors, satellite finder meter etc. for $100. Now I just need the direct receiver HD25-100. I found several people that sale them for around $100-$150. I have to make sure I find one that is legal and not a sold lease box scam.
You may get a tripod, HD dish and cable for around $100 and above. But you need a HD Satelite finder. Those are expensive. The one you can buy for $20 will not work on HD. You will need a Satpro to help aim the dish and dither in the 2nd Satelite.
I think my HD Satpro Finder cost me about $250. But it works well and makes life easy.
DIRECTV sold me another HD DVR receiver for $95. No worries about the eBay rip offs. And it came with a 90 day warranty.
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #74
ENE

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlafond View Post
Just to clarify. The link that you posted mentioned all you need is your TV and receiver. Do you use your home receiver and just transport it to your RV? I've been looking for a solution for when we buy our first Motor home in a few weeks.
After lots of research and purchased a used Slimline antenna from Craigslist, I decided to go with the little dome Directv (standard definition).
The oval directv antenna is too big to fit in my RV storage compartment unless I dismantle the whole thing. I didn't want to throw it in the back of my truck either.
Directv wants $300 just for the comparable HD receiver that works with the slimline antenna setup.
So I decide to go with the little dome that automatically finds the signal.
I will buy a used one somewhere for a $200 but still have to buy a standard def receiver which should be easier than HD receiver.
The most import part about acquiring any of this hardware is that you have to make sure the receiver is compatible with the antenna.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #75
ENE

I have an Apple TV box at home. I took it with me when I went to pickup my new trailer.
The campsite we stay at had free wifi and I connected the Apple box. I also subscribed to Netflix. From the Apple box I access Netflix and watch a few free movies and some TV series. Only a couple times during a one hour show the video paused while it buffered for a few seconds. I was very happy with the setup of the Apple TV/Netfix.
The campgrounds also had free cable TV and I could also switch to the local air channels.
I'm sure the wifi signal varies greatly from RV parks.
I decided to go with the small dome satellite setup.
The biggest problem with local channels from the air and cable TV from the RV parks is not knowing where the channels are. My wife was disappointed surfing the channels to find her shows only to miss the 1st few minutes.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #76
ENE

I could take my Directv DVR receiver with us and that would work, but the only problem is the receiver at home records all our shows. We watch 99% of our shows a week or 2 behind. Taking our receiver with us would break up our recording schedule. There's no way we could have the receiver hooked up before our schedule recordings.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:10 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbalentine View Post
I could take my Directv DVR receiver with us and that would work, but the only problem is the receiver at home records all our shows. We watch 99% of our shows a week or 2 behind. Taking our receiver with us would break up our recording schedule. There's no way we could have the receiver hooked up before our schedule recordings.
Just tell Direct TV you need to rent a second box for a new TV at home, do not tell them you plan to take it with you for your RV. They frown on that. The cost is $5.00 dollars per month. I just take my second one with me. You can not use your main box when you travel. They have it coded somehow and know if your trying to do that. The regular 2nd receiver doesn't have that technology. This was told to me buy my Direct TV installer. Gave him 50.00 bucks for a used oval and 100' of cable of the good stuff. I have no problems at all... toddlafond is correct if you take your main receiver from the house they know, so take the other rented one with you, you may not get HD, but to me not a big thing. I can run the coax from my home to the trailer and that will give me HD on my Toshiba in the trailer. I can't tell the difference in the picture.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #78

Quote:
You can not use your main box when you travel. They have it coded somehow and know if your trying to do that.:
Your installer told you a lie. If you do not have internet connectivity (which is not required), DirecTv has no way of knowing the status of your receiver. The receiver is just that -- it receives. It, and your LNB are not capable of sending a signal to the satellites, which would be required if DirecTv wanted to track your receiver.

Bruce
Old 10-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #79
ENE

Quote:
I used my Apple TV box along with the RV parks free wifi. During an one hour show the video stop to buffer for like 15-30 seconds a few times, but the show was like paused so I didn't miss anything.
I know the wifi signal varies greatly from park to park, so it's not reliable.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #80
ENE

I bought a directv slimline antenna so I could get HD signal. I called directv and asked about a receiver and they told me I could buy one for $300. No thx.
I found you can buy used ones on Craigslist or eBay for around $100-$150, but you got to make sure it is owned hardware not leased thru Directv.

Tags
antenna