Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #1

What is the best TT FR makes?

Only had our new TT for 12 months now and love it to death. It's 20 feet and feels a bit cramped at times, especially with no slide. A 26 footer or thereabouts would possibly be nice down the road. One that has room for a sofa and has more circulation space (ie., slide). There's just two of us so we don't need a honkin' big rig.

I am not impressed with the overall quality of our current trailer. I have done a LOT of mods to the interior to improve the functionality. Even rebuilt some of the cr*p construction like bed frame/storage.

Is there a particular model/brand of FR TT that is considered top of the line? Would be looking for something that has best possible workmanship, attention to details, better quality materials, good storage, better insulation, etc. If custom order details are possible, that would be great, like say laminate flooring.

Does FR make such a thing? A lot of FR owners seem to complain about quality and all sorts of problems. This seems to be a problem generally in the industry though. Perhaps we would have to look at a brand made by someone else?

I have even thought about buying an old vintage trailer like a Silver Streak and restoring and customizing it.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Pretty wide open question I think.

Like asking who has the prettiest wife.
Eye of the beholder and all...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #3

We had a 2000 SunnyBrook and the wife wanted a bigger RV. We searched high and low to find quality anywhere comparable to that SunnyBrook. Not much came close. To me, quality was the most important factor (that's why it took us a year or so to find something). I'm not sure FR is top of the line or even has the best quality units on the market but they have some lines that maybe slightly better than others. We selected the Sabre line (not the Silhouette) because we perceived the quality to be acceptable. It is bigger and has some modern features our old one did not but the quality is inferior to what we had before.

Edited to add:
SunnyBrook's quality diminished in the mid to late 00's. So we looked at them but eventually avoided them due to the poor reviews and customer feedback. Now that Winnebago owns the brand, they may be better again.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #4

I've had 2 FR products and have been very happy with both. I think all of FR lines can create a lemon though. So to answer your question, "Which is the best TT FR makes"? Mine
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've also had two forest rivers

2011 palomino sabre 5er 32bhok-6
2006 flagstaff tt 832bhss

Love them both.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The one that is your driveway and paid for is the best one.

I agree, too wide open, what works for you with children, I don't want, as our children are gone. We want a toy hauler to take the bikes, you may want a bike rack for the pedal bikes. Best is relative. Most of us here thinks Forrest River makes the best. Make, model, options, all of that depends on your wants and needs.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Site Team

based on price, since i've never seen one, the new Aviator line is the most expensive and seems to be aimed at Airstream buyers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #8

We love our Palomino Puma 25RS. We bought is used from a dealer but is is just what we wanted with the floorplan and a lots of storage. It also has a couch in the rear with a big window that we love to look out at the different campers and scenery.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #9

Cedar Creek
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #10

Have a Flagstaff 8524(something).First few trips everything was fine. After two years I think I have most of the problems fixed that developed on about the fourth trip. Only camping two nights so far this year due to wife's health problem, so don't know if I have every thing fixed yet or not. When I bought my first trailer (terry) in 2000, everyone rated anything made by Dutchman bad, and Artic Fox (Alpha) good. Don't know how it is today, but a friend of mine has an Artic Fox and say when they open the refrigerator, they have to be careful because the shelves jump out of place after towing. Last time camping, was talking with someone with another brand, and he was very unhappy with the quality. And lots of problems on this forum I haven't run into yet. So far probably near 10,000 miles on my Chinese tires, and a Dexter fram instead of a Lippert.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #11

The best Travel Trailer that FR makes are the ones I can't afford to own
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Cedar Creek
I'll swear to that. We had a Rockwood TT and went to the Cedar Creek 5th wheel ordered with what we wanted and it's great.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Pretty wide open question I think.

Like asking who has the prettiest wife.
Eye of the beholder and all...
Don't you mean "In the eye of the beer holder"

I am not sure one brand is going to be much different than another as far as quality goes.

We thouroughly enjoy our 27' toy hauler.

I guess if we wanted top quality we would have spent a hundred thousand and bought an Airstream.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #14

I agree with the idea that it's all in the eye of the beholder. My wife and I have a Rockwood 2304S, and we wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe a toyhauler).
phrogpilot73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #15

Why not start a (Perfect Trailer) Rally! You could hold it in a 7/11 parking lot and still have room to put your slides out! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #16

Personally, I think the quality of smaller trailers is better. 20 to 25 feet is the sweet spot. The really small trailers and popups are built to be really cheap/affordable. The really big trailers have alot of bells and whistles to justify the higher price. Also, I think they bend and twist alot and therefore have all the problems that come with that.

The Surveyor line has some nice models and seem to be screwed together pretty well, and the prices are more reasonable than some others.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #17

I have a 2012 V-Cross 275 fiver and I am happy with it, but I wouldn't compare it to the high end fivers that Forest River makes. I got mine for $28,000 and it has two ACs, 50 amp and a few other options. But how could you compare it to one of those $70,000 fivers. You can't. Good luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post

Is there a particular model/brand of FR TT that is considered top of the line? Would be looking for something that has best possible workmanship, attention to details, better quality materials, good storage, better insulation, etc. If custom order details are possible, that would be great, like say laminate flooring.

Does FR make such a thing?
Not a TT, but for everything else on your list the Forest River Dynamax fits the bill.

How much money do you have?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #19

The best one FR makes is the one you've owned for a couple years and have replaced all the cheap components and redone the poor workmanship on....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #20

My experience has shown that the best TT Forest River makes, of for that matter, the best truck, house and anything else, is the one just beyond what I can afford.