Old 05-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #1

What is up with campgrounds that don't do online reservations?

Why is it so hard to make campground reservations? I have been able to make online reservations most everywhere so far, but while booking my week vacation in July, only 1 of the 5 campgrounds could be booked online. So I played a game of call and nobody answer, call back and get voice mail, etc. Then some of them have trouble understanding me so I am not super confident in any of those reservations being correct. In this day and age, everyone should have online reservation systems.

Ok, I am done venting now.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #2

I agree, some I don't even get confirmations. My only saving grace is my deposit.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #3

I agree, in this day and age all campgrounds should take reservations on-line. If a campground doesn't do on-line reservations how would a person know if there were any sites available before heading out. Only way of knowing if the reservations you did make are correct is if they send a confirmation thru snail mail. I know the campground where we're seasonal fills out a paper form while talking to the person on the phone, then repeats it back to insure accuracy. Only then is the info entered into the computer and a confirmation is sent.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #4

Comes down to money. A simple website is inexpensive, a website with online reservation that would then feed the information back to the owners system or calendar costs more. Some of these campgrounds just do not have the money to pay someone tech savvy enough to develop one and since I have priced this out for my aunt, other solutions are not cost affective unless your in the hundreds of reservations per month level.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #5

Also, many campgrounds are owned by people that simply haven't embraced technology and have no interest to. My favorite CG has a Facebook page run by their granddaughter. That's it.

If they're still making enough money their way, they'll never switch.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #6

It's funny because all of out state parks around here have it setup so you can pick dates and specific sites. Really nice. I hate not knowing what in getting.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
It's funny because all of out state parks around here have it setup so you can pick dates and specific sites. Really nice. I hate not knowing what in getting.
Virginia State Parks will let you reserve a site but not a specific site............ Our near by park has mostly small sites so it is still first come first serve........... But you have a site even though you may not fit. (Unless they changed it over the winter)

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #8

I too feel your frustration. One trip we were headed to a park several hours away. We had called in advance and were told they didn't do reservations. Upon arrival we were instructed to pick any site that was empty. We found a great site and went back to the office to settle up. At which point we were told the site we had picked was not available. I inquired as to why since the park didn't offer reservations and it was currently empty. I was told "The future occupant, arriving later that day had paid in advance for the site." Trying to convince the gentleman working the counter the definition of a reservation was a futile exercise. So, after calming down and finding another site we settled in. However, I will not return to that park until they begin to offer reservations.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Virginia State Parks will let you reserve a site but not a specific site............ Our near by park has mostly small sites so it is still first come first serve........... But you have a site even though you may not fit. (Unless they changed it over the winter)

I have experienced this as well. Not to mention that they rely on snail mail for confirmations.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #10

I've never had a problem talking to a live person in making a reservation, in fact I prefer it. In most cases they can answer questions that I may have where a computer couldn't. I usually am able to get a confirmation by email or snailmail.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg