Old 10-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #31
I'd say YES !

Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #32
Glamping involves a shower that you want to use instead of the facilities & have room in the grey tank for using it daily!!!!
I really don't think the memory foam mattress (from Overstock) that is more comfortable than the bed at home can be counted against us campers ...
The other term y'all have left off of here is 'subdivision on wheels' (that is actually our definition of glamping!) that has to do with the amenities, view of your neighbor's (landscaped) yard / lot and the 3 month (or more) stay of some of those 'campers'.

please note the sarcasm font used!!!!

Camping since May 2013 .... FL & GA only so far .... loving it!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #33
Why does it matter? Why do you care what other people think about what you do?

I go have a fun time. Doesn't matter what others think.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #34
Site Team
What is your definition of Glamping

It's just a topic that some of us find interesting. I don't anyone's viewpoint would change anything - it's just fun to read.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #35
a bit of attitude. When we moved up from tents to a popup (no shower or bathroom and we used for 25 years) my daughter thought that was glamping and would not go out with us after that. Now she has 2 kids she did not like tent camping anymore and took the popup when we moved up to our luxury retirement trailer.
2015 Flagstaff 32IKBS
2008 F350 6.4
1999 Palomino Filly Popup (my daughter's now)
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #36
Originally Posted by BobandAnitaK View Post
OK I was reading another thread when someone brought up the term Glamping. What is your definition of Glamping?

Is it my sister-in-law's 30 foot ish 5th wheel; with two slides, 36 inch tv that rises out of a counter, multiple air-conditioners, imitation electric fire place that will produce some heat, two large slides, etc., etc., etc....

or Is my 21 foot 2017 Coachman Apex RBK 215: with the TV that can be seen from both the sleeping and living area, outside kitchen (man I do not think I could live without it now), 4 foot slide, led lights, large kitchen sink (swmbo thinks that is the cats meow), pull down house type kitchen faucet, more storage than I have ever had in a travel trail.

If you compare my current rig to my first tent-trail that I bought used back in the early 90's, which was a single tip out Jayco, with about a 6' by 6' box, a manual water pump that sort of worked, a 5 gallon tank for fresh water, a icebox that did not work as well as a standard ice chest and a two burner stove. Does that make my Apex Glamping/Glamper or just an upgrade

I also understand that my Jayco was was a upgrade when you compare it to our first tent that my family started out in years ago. So after saying all of that, is Glamping just a state of mind?? Or is it the tents or cabins that you see set up with regular beds, bottles of wine and all of the enmities you might see the fancy condominiums.
For some of us, the minimum comforts required change over the years. We think our present 5er has more room than our first apartment... and we like it that way. Like several have said "Glamping" is defined by "your" point of view.
Me & the DW
2016 Coachmen Brookstone 334RE Fifth Wheel
2015 Chevy 3500HD Diesel DRW Crew Cab 4X4 LTZ
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #37

Call it what you want I have a FR 240RBS surveyor and I Like It.

jec9017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #38
Glamping to me, is when someone else sets up your tent/trailer/coach, then cooks and cleans up afterwards, then takes the whole thing apart again when you are done.There is nothing glamping about dumping a black tank yourself.
2015 Tacer ultra light executive edition 3200bht
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7, Dually, crew cab, long bed
SilverArrowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #39
Canadian Member
While Wikipedia is not necessarily a widely recognized and accepted source of factual information, it is interesting reading.

The consistent definition from a Google search seems to be rental accommodations in a natural setting, that is not a permanent building. The accomodations range from tents to yurts to trailers but they all include amenities that would not be considered roughing it.

For me, there is primitive camping, camping, RVing and resort RVing. Camping involves a tent or popup without any running water but may include an electric only site. RVing is a trailer or MH with a water pump and washroom and cooking amenities regardless of boondocking or FHU.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #40
For us, I started out with tents in scouting then a small pick up camper for cross country trips and hunting. Then I met my DW and found out her idea of roughing it was a Holiday Inn without room service. We did the vacation resorts etc until retirement them made our purchase a few years ago. Needless to say we now take the comforts of home with us. So I believe the definition is what ever you want to make it. It's all good times and fun.

Bill & Pam
2014 Trilogy 3650RE
2015 F350 PSD
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote