Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #21
Insert witty title here

Nothing says glamour more than having to empty and rinse away a week's worth of BMs.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony5oh View Post
Anything beyond a tent/open air camping.
That covers it except cooking on an open fire and washing in a cold stream (if available) if not, stinking for days....

Been there and did that.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #23

Glamping

This is 'Glamping' in the 1950's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glamping.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	122056  
Old 10-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #24

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
We both paid our dues in Scouting ... Winter camping in a tent was a challenge and an accomplishment.

Nowadays, four times the age we were then ... a nice mattress and a bathroom are completely acceptable.

Anyone who has a need to disagree, is going to have to submit a T.P.S. Report, NOTARIZED BY THEIR DW, indicating that roughing it is ... "better."

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
We both paid our dues in Scouting ... Winter camping in a tent was a challenge and an accomplishment.

Nowadays, four times the age we were then ... a nice mattress and a bathroom are completely acceptable.

Anyone who has a need to disagree, is going to have to submit a T.P.S. Report, NOTARIZED BY THEIR DW, indicating that roughing it is ... "better."
I 'fondly' remember the canvas tents and the soggy sleeping bags and always smelling like wood smoke. great perfume... When I was an Eagle, I graduated to a Eureka Timberline and a Kelty backpack and a real down bag. I still smelled like wood smoke however...

I still have the Kelty. I use the pack frame to haul out meat on hunts. The Eureka succumbed to rot a long time ago and I graduated in the sleeping bag department too. I now own a KUIU down mummy I take on hunting trips.

I still like to cook on an open fire but I've learned that dry wood makes almost no smoke...lol

Hunting to me is staying in a provided lodge or base camp and let my paid guides do the cooking.

Don't think I'll ever succumb to all out 'glamping'. I can stay home for that.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everidge View Post
This is 'Glamping' in the 1950's.
Isn't that a vintage Fleetwood on the cover? Didn't they have the 'Cadillac' wings?
Old 10-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #27

Glamping is just alright with me!

Since my wife will not go camping, we glamp. I haven't camped a day in the last 2 years, but will average 45 days a year glamping. Who's to complain? It keeps us going.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I 'fondly' remember the canvas tents and the soggy sleeping bags and always smelling like wood smoke. great perfume... When I was an Eagle, I graduated to a Eureka Timberline and a Kelty backpack and a real down bag. I still smelled like wood smoke however...

I still have the Kelty. I use the pack frame to haul out meat on hunts. The Eureka succumbed to rot a long time ago and I graduated in the sleeping bag department too. I now own a KUIU down mummy I take on hunting trips.

I still like to cook on an open fire but I've learned that dry wood makes almost no smoke...lol

Hunting to me is staying in a provided lodge or base camp and let my paid guides do the cooking.

Don't think I'll ever succumb to all out 'glamping'. I can stay home for that.
As a Scout leader whose Eagle Scout ages out in Feb I feel I have done my time camping. Hot, Cold, Rain, Snow in a small tent in the woods, I can still do it but I would rather sleep on a nice, comfortable bed.

The DW does not like tent camping. The TT is so I can make up the lost weekends she and I missed while the boys and I camped. But... my daughter wants to join the Crew next year so I will be at it again but will still make time for my DW and go glamping in the "big tent" on wheels.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehorn View Post
Glamping: The only kind of camping I will do at my age.
X a bunch
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #30

Heck I haven't even tried dry camping.... That is roughing it to me.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #31

I'd say YES !
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #32

Glamping involves a shower that you want to use instead of the facilities & have room in the grey tank for using it daily!!!!
I really don't think the memory foam mattress (from Overstock) that is more comfortable than the bed at home can be counted against us campers ...
The other term y'all have left off of here is 'subdivision on wheels' (that is actually our definition of glamping!) that has to do with the amenities, view of your neighbor's (landscaped) yard / lot and the 3 month (or more) stay of some of those 'campers'.

please note the sarcasm font used!!!!

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #33

Why does it matter? Why do you care what other people think about what you do?

I go have a fun time. Doesn't matter what others think.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #34
Site Team

What is your definition of Glamping

It's just a topic that some of us find interesting. I don't anyone's viewpoint would change anything - it's just fun to read.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #35

a bit of attitude. When we moved up from tents to a popup (no shower or bathroom and we used for 25 years) my daughter thought that was glamping and would not go out with us after that. Now she has 2 kids she did not like tent camping anymore and took the popup when we moved up to our luxury retirement trailer.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandAnitaK View Post
OK I was reading another thread when someone brought up the term Glamping. What is your definition of Glamping?

Is it my sister-in-law's 30 foot ish 5th wheel; with two slides, 36 inch tv that rises out of a counter, multiple air-conditioners, imitation electric fire place that will produce some heat, two large slides, etc., etc., etc....

or Is my 21 foot 2017 Coachman Apex RBK 215: with the TV that can be seen from both the sleeping and living area, outside kitchen (man I do not think I could live without it now), 4 foot slide, led lights, large kitchen sink (swmbo thinks that is the cats meow), pull down house type kitchen faucet, more storage than I have ever had in a travel trail.

If you compare my current rig to my first tent-trail that I bought used back in the early 90's, which was a single tip out Jayco, with about a 6' by 6' box, a manual water pump that sort of worked, a 5 gallon tank for fresh water, a icebox that did not work as well as a standard ice chest and a two burner stove. Does that make my Apex Glamping/Glamper or just an upgrade

I also understand that my Jayco was was a upgrade when you compare it to our first tent that my family started out in years ago. So after saying all of that, is Glamping just a state of mind?? Or is it the tents or cabins that you see set up with regular beds, bottles of wine and all of the enmities you might see the fancy condominiums.
For some of us, the minimum comforts required change over the years. We think our present 5er has more room than our first apartment... and we like it that way. Like several have said "Glamping" is defined by "your" point of view.
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #37

Glamping

Call it what you want I have a FR 240RBS surveyor and I Like It.

John
jec9017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #38

Glamping to me, is when someone else sets up your tent/trailer/coach, then cooks and cleans up afterwards, then takes the whole thing apart again when you are done.There is nothing glamping about dumping a black tank yourself.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #39
Canadian Member

While Wikipedia is not necessarily a widely recognized and accepted source of factual information, it is interesting reading.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glamping

The consistent definition from a Google search seems to be rental accommodations in a natural setting, that is not a permanent building. The accomodations range from tents to yurts to trailers but they all include amenities that would not be considered roughing it.

For me, there is primitive camping, camping, RVing and resort RVing. Camping involves a tent or popup without any running water but may include an electric only site. RVing is a trailer or MH with a water pump and washroom and cooking amenities regardless of boondocking or FHU.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #40

For us, I started out with tents in scouting then a small pick up camper for cross country trips and hunting. Then I met my DW and found out her idea of roughing it was a Holiday Inn without room service. We did the vacation resorts etc until retirement them made our purchase a few years ago. Needless to say we now take the comforts of home with us. So I believe the definition is what ever you want to make it. It's all good times and fun.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote