Old 06-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
Earliest memory . . . waking up in a tent trailer in a little city caming park somewhere near Duluth,
where they had deer that you could feed . . . 4 years old . . . and hooked on camping!
Went looking for that same park a few years ago and found it!

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
I remember when I was less than 10 years old, my aunt from California came to visit us in Ohio pulling a pop up trailer. I had never even seen one before. They put it up on the patio for the kids to sleep in. I remember having a great time, but I don't think we ever slept. I never camped at a campground until after I was married and my in-laws had a Holiday Rambler class c. That got me hooked on camping.

grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #13
I have vague memories of camping with my grandparents in a truck bed camper that Grandad made. But more recently, 2004, for our first camping trip as a family, we borrowed grandads 29 ft 1979 Shasta, drove to Lake Barkley KY, pulled in after dark, 11pm, had to use a flashlight to find our camp site. As we were trying to figure out how to set up the camper, we could hear water from the lake close by, but had no idea how close it was, and did not want to misstep & fall in the lake. The next morning we woke up to a beautiful view of the lake at sunrise about 15 feet in front of the camper. We have been hooked ever since (at least the kids & I have been, hubby is warming up to it now that we have our newer bigger, more comfy camper)...
jsl3f5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
I never camped growing up, so I was about 20 and we started out in a tent. We took that tent everywhere and loved it. We then saw a fold out camper for sale and thought it was so wonderful. It had two pcs that hinged out and poles you put up under your canvas and then snapped the canvas to the wood. It was merely two beds with a little space between them but we thought it was huge. Again we took that everywhere, Disney World and all. Later I would be back in tents starting over with my children and working our way through several tents, 3 pups, an HTT, a TT, and now we are awaiting our new HTT. Very special times in all of them and wouldn't trade the memories for anything. Thanks for starting this thread, I am enjoying reading about everyones first adventures.
Donna=Me Tom=DH
2 DD's-grown, 1 DS grown, 1 DIL
4 DGD's, 1 DGS, 1 Pekingese(7/1/1999-6/18/2016)
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2000 Suburban 1500 4 X 4
ngts camped 2016-24 so far. reservations for 11 more
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
The first RV that I can remember was a camping trailer that my Dad bought and used in the winter of 1949. We were living in Michigan and my Dad was a builder. In the summer he would build in Michigan and the winter in Florida. It was a 18 foot tear drop trailer that four of us lived in for the winter. That was the last camping our family ever did. It wasn't until 1967 when I with my family moved to Minnesota that I bought a tent and took us all camping. We loved it and bought a VW camping van several months later. Used it for 5 years and traded it in on a tent trailer. We than bought a Minnie Winnie that we also keep for a number of years. About the same time we got into boating and didn’t use it much We boated for 17 years. In 1997 we bought a 30 foot Winnie Chieftain and when we retired in 1999 used it to travel out west. We felt we needed something bigger for the mountains and bought a 2003 Itasca Horizon. That rig was a piece of junk we had all kinds of problems. We traded it in on a 2004 Holiday Rambler Navigator. It was so nice that we ended up selling our house of 30 years and full timed in it. We did that for two years, it was great but decided we wanted to be closer to our kids and grandkids. Because we weren’t using it as much we got out of RVing for about a year. We ended up missing the RV life style and bought our Cardinal 5th wheel. We use it in the winter, getting out of the cold and just explore.
Jim and Jane
2008 Cardinal 30TS
Trail Air Pin Box, Center Point Suspension
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #16
My earliest RV memory is working the entrance station at Grand Canyon National Park the summer of 1969 and making fun of the Winnebagos (generic for all motorhomes at the time). Yes I made fun of them and here I am now driving one and picking up dog poop with a plastic bag. How we change as we age.
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #17
Proud Member
My first RV was a canoe. Does that count? It is a vehicle, and it is recreational. I suppose that counts. My family covered a lot of miles camping out of that canoe. I compare that to our camper today, and it seems rather primitive. Hmmm. Makes me wonder if I am spoiling my kids. Nah, time with my family in the woods is time well wasted if you ask mater how we do it.
Jim P.
2008 Surveyor SV-291
2003 Ford 4x4 Expedition
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #18
First memories of RV/camping was out of a 1963 Chevy delivery van, using the shelving as a bed with foam for mattresses. A vew years later we bought an Apache p/u, my most memorable trip was in April at Flaming Gorge reservoir and waking up to 6 inches of snow on the roof of the trailer, fishing was great that trip. I have fond memories of leaving before sunrise and getting to eat Hostess pies for breakfast on the road.

flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote