Old 06-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #1

What is your earliest RV memory?

I was thinking back about all the RVs my dad owned when I was growing up. We did a slow progression from a trailer, to a couple different truck/campers, a few different class C motorhomes and finally to Class A motorhomes.

I thought of the little trailer, probably only about 16 foot long. Had the couch across the front with a "cupboard" above it that folded down into a bunk. One night I was sleeping in the bunk and rolled over and out of it, landing on my dad below. What a rude awakening for both of us. It also had the pump water faucet. Had the little lever on the side you had to pump to get water.

I also remember a Western Wilderness camper we had. Must have been made out of solid wood as it was heavy! It had a "wet" bathroom which is to say they stuck a sink and toilet into a shower stall. The toilet actually folded down out of the wall. To "flush" it you simply pushed it back up into the wall, every thing slide down the back of it into a hole and into a tank. Quite ingenious but I have never seen one since.

There was the Winnebago Mini Winie that we bought. At 23' long it wasn't big but we liked it but it was a horrid piece of junk. I always remember that the previous owner had fixed everything using nails. LONG nails, and lots of them. He didn't seem to realize that with foam walls you can't use nails and expect them to hold. It became a joke around the house that to fix anything you just needed a longer nail.

RVs have come a long way. Levelers, satellite dishes, ice makers, slide rooms, automatic steps, water pumps, etc.

What is your earliest RV memory?

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #2

That's easy for me, it was about 6 years ago when we rented a Class A and took a trip from Wisconsin to the Smokey Mountains. We were hooked and shortly after bought our first fifth wheel.
We had both done quite a bit of tent camping in earlier years before we knew each other.

2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #3

We tent camped for years. I remember one year Dad looking at the TT's in the park and sarcastically saying, "They're really roughing it."
The next year after saying that he bought one, about 17' if I remember correctly. Across the front was a U shape dinette that made into a bed. Of course it had a kitchen and a bathroom but I don't remember much more than that.
This would have been about 1967 or '68.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Jan Goldfield

My parents took me tent camping starting back in the early '40's. They moved from a tent to travel trailers to Class C to Class A and camped until about 10 years ago when my dad hit 85. I started tent camping soon after college and did it for the whole year of 1973 and again for 1975. After that I camped all over the country while traveling, but not for full years at once. I still want to camp, but the ground is hard and it's a long way down, so buying an RV seemed to be the wisest way to do it. We bought it almost a month ago and have yet to spend a night in it, but soon, very soon.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My camping started with my Dad converting an old school bus into a camper. A triple bunk bed across from an a couch near the front of the bus, overhead cabinets over a gas stove , across from a wood-stove with the pipe out the back widow in the back of the bus. No running water, or bathroom. Propane gas lights for illumination. Early on he kept the bus on the river, with a once a year night-time drive (and back) to the mountains with no tags or inspection sticker for deer season. It took a day and several 5th of liquor for dad and his deer hunting buddies to get that bus running every year. Later on, he rented a place near the bottom of the mountain to park the bus so he didn't have much state roads to negotiate.....he drove during the day then.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #6

I remember Dad bought a used pop-up camper when I was about 11 or 12. My bother and I used to set it up in the back yard and camp out there.
My whole family took it to Holly Beach, LA. one weekend, back in '67. Things were nice until the sun went down. The mosquitoes were so bad we couldn't keep them out of the camper. Even our little Beagle was miserable. We packed up in the middle of the night and headed home. That was our last camping trip with that pop-up.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
The mosquitoes were so bad we couldn't keep them out of the camper. Even our little Beagle was miserable.
How funny as we had the same experience at a lake here in eastern Washington with our truck/camper when I was a kid. We spent one night and headed for the cooler mountains the next day to escape the bugs. Never have been back to that state park to this day.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #8

My parents started all of us out with a tent. God, the things my parents did for us- 5 kids and them in a tent in the 60's. Around 67 or 68 Dad bought a Tradewinds pop up. They kept that thing until the late 80's and it never leaked and the canvas was still in really good shape- Thanks to Mom always yelling at us kids to stay outside unless we wanted to sleep! I used it for a few years, then my younger sister. Dad bought a 21' Citation , but they pretty much stopped going unless I went somewhere. Mom said it was just too much work anymore- rather stay in a hotel. I take them with me now whenever I can- kinda repaying Dad for all those years.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Jan Goldfield

Mike, sounds like those parents of yours did a pretty good job raising their kids.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

My first memory of camping in an RV was going with my next door neighbors in an Apache Pop-up. I remember thinking it was cool not to be sleeping on the ground especially when it rained the first night. I really have to thank the Sinnotts for introducing me to camping in an RV. It may have been a small Pop-up but we had a great time. We still keep in touch by email. They're in Ft. Meyers Florida and I'm still in Maryland.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote