Old 05-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
Moderators' Assistant

modern RVs have a number of parasitic power drains.
If you don't keeping it plugged into shore power, they can drain a single battery in just a few days.
That's why many of us install a battery disconnect switch.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #12

I had a Salem witch is about the same as the Wildwood and can't think of anything else that would cause it to drain that fast. On my Salem, I could go two or three weeks and not touch the camper, go out and the battery would be just fine.
Did you check the storage compartment/s to make sure there isn't a light on in there? I have found that before also.
It really sounds like you have a closet light or storage light on or something like that.

markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatterson View Post
I'm leaning towards all the main DC items must draw power when not even in use.
Correct. Just keeping the DC lines hot will drink some. Control boards in your electronics, radio, detectors, poor cable connections, gremlins.

None of it really drinks all that much, but all together you can be loosing an amp or more (24ah's +/- a day). If you have wet cells you can also throw in the normal off gassing... around 15% every 30 days +/-. Some wet cells can go as much as 20%.

One thing a number of folks forget about is that it is important to have your TV connected and engine running when your buttoning up your rig for a rest. If you had your awning out and slides extended.. pulling them in on battery will take a nice chunk of change off the top of your batteries from the get go.

It's always good to have a battery disconnect. If you have shore power available, a battery minder will do you right. If not, take them home with you for maintenance charging.

Of course, I'm not talking about just a few days. If she's going to be sitting for a couple three weeks you should be fine just disconnecting and recharging prior to your next trip. Much longer than that though.. battery minder.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:58 PM   #14

I had a bad battery drain problem with my 2007 Flagstaff 27 FKS. Found the draw from the Concertone radio. Pulled the fuse to solve that problem. Had lots of problems with that Concertone. Annoying when battery power drops and the C02 low power alarm beeps in the middle of the night. Just got a new Flagstaff with a Genesis, hope its better. The RV industry doesn't seem to think its customers are interested in quality electronics.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #15

CO alarm, radio on standby, and anything left on will drain the battery.

I put a switch on the power wire inside the cabinet for the stereo. Memory wire stays hot. This turns the backlights off when im not using it for awhile.

Also since i havent gotten a smart converter yet, i shut off my onboard one. Then, i plug in a batteryminder and have a male cig lighter end and plug it behind the tv. This way my battery doesnt get cooked.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:56 AM   #16

Quote:
TV booster off; fridge off. Only think I can't terminate is the propane/carbon monoxide detector. But there must be something else. A fully charged deep cycle battery should not go down in 3-4 days. I even have a 2 watt solar trickle hooked up.
Everyone has given you the obvious, here's a two not so obvious ones

...the 2 watt solar panel. That's right. It could be the solar panel. First off 2 watts won't replace any parasitic drains, just isn't enough solar. Second, if it doesn't have a blocking diode or the diode shorted, its nothing more than a parasite at night, using power.

... And, the battery could be bad. It could have the fluid level too low or just has something wrong with it.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:10 AM   #17

The biggest drain is the cooling fan in the electrical panel...cools converter. If it's a quiet one you'll never know it's running
Old 05-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammer99 View Post
The biggest drain is the cooling fan in the electrical panel...cools converter. If it's a quiet one you'll never know it's running
Except when you are running on battery/ies you're not using your converter anyway. The fan should never come on, but you could always just trip the converter breaker if it's a concern.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:13 AM   #19

Quote:
A fully charged deep cycle battery should not go down in 3-4 days. I even have a 2 watt solar trickle hooked up.
I think your expectations might be aimed a bit high. To keep your battery healthy, you don't want to draw them below 50% SOC. A true deep cycle 12v battery (as opposed to a deep cycle RV/Marine hybrid) would typically have 180-220 ah capacity. So you'll half that to 90-110 ah "available". Parasitic draw ALONE will eat that up in 3 days. Throw in some lights, water pump, cooking stove ignition, hot water heater, reefer... you would have to be conservative to get 2 days let alone any longer without a charge source. Generator, alternator in your TV, solar... whatever your poison.

A 2 watt panel.. which you will rarely see outputting the full 2 watts will only get you around .35 amps (1-2 amp parasitic though).

So realistically you would need a good 2-3 hours of maximum output from your panel to run a single small LED like for an hour. As a trickle charging system, you'll be loosing 3-6 times more juice just from parasitic draw than your panel is capable of adding to your battery.

Solar is certainly a good option though. I run a 440ah battery bank on 540 watts of high voltage panels with all the creature comforts (microwave, TV and Satellite receiver, etc) and only on very rare occasions have to crank on my genny to recharge. In winter maybe every other week and with summer sun it may only be once during a three month period.

You're headed in the right direction though.

I just remembered. Isn't that 2watt panel 6v?
Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #20

I always disconnect the battery. I keep the nut on the positive of the battery hand tight so it takes 5 seconds to do.

Tags
battery