Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
We just use our regular phone and pay the charges. We have no need to sit on the phone for hours, nor use the internet on a screen I can't even see.
So for us, a much cheaper and simpler plan.

bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
We have always bought trac phones and a prepaid air card. Way cheaper than telus.. Doesn't take long to burn
thru their minimal coverage

Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Site Team
Originally Posted by PhotoDj View Post
We use Roam Mobility! The best solution that I have found! Unlimited calling and text in US and back to Canada. They have voice/text plans and voice/text/data plans. This is a pay as you plan and you need an unlocked phone to use their SIM card. I travel a lot for work and this fits the bill perfectly.
As a cross border commuter, I've been looking into options for a good US/Canada deal. Currently, I just use my Rogers phone with some roaming packages that are no longer offered (1 GB Data Can/US, 60 minutes talk).

Currently Rogers offers their roaming in 'buckets' that are good for 30 days from purchase instead of the monthly package like I have. They're not great, but still cheaper to buy up front then to pay roaming without.

Roam Mobility is targeted to cross border commuters, but essentially all they're doing is getting you a US based cell phone. Cheaper than a Canadian phone, but you can get cheaper options just getting a pre-paid cell with a normal carrier. Most of my co-workers who are also cross border have gone with Verizon. They had (may still have) roaming packages for crossing into Canada similar to the ones I have on Rogers, only cheaper.

I opted to stick with Rogers to keep a local number since my work covers my roaming into the US, but doesn't cover my family calling long distance to reach me. By keeping a local number the people who need to reach me aren't affected.

Ok, this is starting to veer off topic. Back to original question:

Options for keeping in touch cross border:

1) Use your existing cell, add roaming options.
2) Get an American cell.
3) Use a VOIP option, like Skype, Vonage, MagicJack, etc...

I use a combination of 1 and 3, I receive calls on my Canadian cell, I return calls using a SkypeOut subscription ($25/Year for any number in US or Canada).

Kaadk is online now   Reply With Quote