Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
We just use our regular phone and pay the charges. We have no need to sit on the phone for hours, nor use the internet on a screen I can't even see.
So for us, a much cheaper and simpler plan.

bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
Senior Member
Dabmeb's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 259
We have always bought trac phones and a prepaid air card. Way cheaper than telus.. Doesn't take long to burn
thru their minimal coverage

Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Site Team
Kaadk's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,207
Originally Posted by PhotoDj View Post
We use Roam Mobility! The best solution that I have found! Unlimited calling and text in US and back to Canada. They have voice/text plans and voice/text/data plans. This is a pay as you plan and you need an unlocked phone to use their SIM card. I travel a lot for work and this fits the bill perfectly.
As a cross border commuter, I've been looking into options for a good US/Canada deal. Currently, I just use my Rogers phone with some roaming packages that are no longer offered (1 GB Data Can/US, 60 minutes talk).

Currently Rogers offers their roaming in 'buckets' that are good for 30 days from purchase instead of the monthly package like I have. They're not great, but still cheaper to buy up front then to pay roaming without.

Roam Mobility is targeted to cross border commuters, but essentially all they're doing is getting you a US based cell phone. Cheaper than a Canadian phone, but you can get cheaper options just getting a pre-paid cell with a normal carrier. Most of my co-workers who are also cross border have gone with Verizon. They had (may still have) roaming packages for crossing into Canada similar to the ones I have on Rogers, only cheaper.

I opted to stick with Rogers to keep a local number since my work covers my roaming into the US, but doesn't cover my family calling long distance to reach me. By keeping a local number the people who need to reach me aren't affected.

Ok, this is starting to veer off topic. Back to original question:

Options for keeping in touch cross border:

1) Use your existing cell, add roaming options.
2) Get an American cell.
3) Use a VOIP option, like Skype, Vonage, MagicJack, etc...

I use a combination of 1 and 3, I receive calls on my Canadian cell, I return calls using a SkypeOut subscription ($25/Year for any number in US or Canada).


Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.