Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #1

What Roadside Assistance Plan do you recommend, and why?

I'm starting a 2,000 RV excursion in my 2018 31' FR Wildwood. This is my first long trip other than when I bought the TT in Alabama and towed it home to Pennsylvania. The TT has only 1,080 miles on it so far. I already have AAA Plus coverage on my tow vehicle and am informed I can extend that coverage to my trailer for only an additional $17. I am curious what Roadside Assistance Plans for travel trailers you folks recommend, and the reasons why. I know there is a LionsHead Motor Club, a NitroFill Club, and a Good Sam Club. There are probably others. My fear is blowing a tire and doing damage to the trailer that merely swapping in the spare tire won't be sufficient to fix. I welcome the expertise of this group of experienced RVers. Thanks.
/s/ George Hay Kain, III - 2018 Forest River Wildwood 254RLXL; 2013 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4; ZEEPIN TPMS Solar Power Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System; Sherline LM 2000 - Trailer Tongue Weight Scale 2000 lb; Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System.
ghkain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I've had a couple different ones, but the only one I did have and still do is the Good Sam's Roadside Assistance program.

Used it once out in the middle of Nowheresville, Nebraska when I ran out of gas.

Paid for itself that day!

Here is a shot of that most memorable moment:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	455.2 KB
ID:	183578  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghkain View Post
My fear is blowing a tire and doing damage to the trailer that merely swapping in the spare tire won't be sufficient to fix. I welcome the expertise of this group of experienced RVers. Thanks.
We use Coach-net.com. They advertise a good tire program although we haven't used it yet. Only used it once to jump start my car. They were friendly and efficient.

Also joined www.FMCA.com for their emergency medical evacuation program. They now allow travel trailer owners to join.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Had Coach-net for years and used it many times. I keep renewing so I must like it.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #5

I don't like to bundle my insurance coverage so I have separate insurance companies for all my needs.

My travel trailer and boat are covered by Progressive Insurance. It comes with trailer travel assistance for my travel trailer. I do have on water towing by Boat US for my boat though.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:11 AM   #6

I had never heard of a NitroFill club.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I do have roadside assistance with my RV and truck insurance also, but only as backup to the Good Sam's RSA.

My experience over the years is that the insurance company RSA's have not been very reliable and tend to make you wait for hours on end or only cover part of the service call.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Originally I had the Good Sam program but cancelled it and got my money back in favor of adding our RV to our AAA Club - covers everything at a fraction of the price. But I heard that AAA-RV coverage is not available for customers in the Northeast so not sure about that one...?
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #9

If you belong to FMCA, recommend their roadside assistance. Only costs $69 per year, and their service is great.
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #10

Roadside assistance

Short story....I paid a lot for Good Sam Assistance Insurance. In a very busy area, on a 70 mph freeway in 90 degree plus weather, I sat for 5 hours with my TT waiting for promised GS assistance. I finally called AAA and was off the freeway in 30 minutes and taken to a nearby Truck and RV Repair shop where I had excellent service.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #11

We are in our second year of Good Sam coverage. I used it once in July of this year when I locked both sets of keys in our truck. (Duh!) They sent someone out and got the door unlocked in about an hour. I was very pleased. That paid the $79 fee by itself.

I have not used it for roadside towing. but I believe they would be responsive. Just understand, they won't tow you to your favorite garage, just to the nearest garage.

I don't like the fact that they double the rate during the second year. (From $79 to $179 or so.) I am cheap, so I just cancel the coverage after year one, wait a month, and then re-up again at the discounted "first timer's" rate of $79.

If you go with your regular insurance company's roadside assistance plan, make sure they will tow your RV for free like the RV plans do. Often they say larger trucks or RV's aren't covered under basic coverage. Otherwise you may not be covered for long haul towing or other "big rig" items.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHAMILTON View Post
If you belong to FMCA, recommend their roadside assistance. Only costs $69 per year, and their service is great.
What's FMCA?

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #13
Dahagen

Roadside assistance is part of my GEICO insurance for motorhome. Broke down on hot, busy freeway between Phoenix and Tucson. Within half-hour large truck wrecker showed up and towed me to shop 50 miles away.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
Gold Tee Box

AAA Plus RV. We've never needed it for any Travel Trailer, but have it just in case. We have used AAA several times for tires in our vehicles. If I get a flat in the truck it's not something I want to deal with, especially in bad hot/cold weather and traffic. When they send someone out we tip them about $10.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
Roadside assistance is part of my GEICO insurance for motorhome. Broke down on hot, busy freeway between Phoenix and Tucson. Within half-hour large truck wrecker showed up and towed me to shop 50 miles away.
Same for my tow vehicle and trailer. Roadside Assistance for any trailer issue is covered by my Tow Vehicle insurance since I insure both with the same company.

I figure I can handle all the small issues like flat tires and running out of gas as I carry spare, tools, and extra gas. I can handle my problem quicker than anyone can be dispatched and arrive. If I'm stuck on a busy freeway, a quick call to 911 could get a "Trooper" or highway incident response truck to stand by for traffic safety. Anything big, that will involve a tow, is covered by insurance I'm already paying for.

I wish I still had my wood stove for heat. I could heat my house for a month from just the mailings I get from AARP, Camping World, and all the other companies that have bought their mailing lists. Add to those all the offerings for life insurance, health care insurance, hearing aids, and last but not least, prepaid funeral and cremation services. What the heck, do they think I'm getting ready for those last ones?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #16

Coach-net. Used them 4 times in first 2 years. Have had it for 5 years now.(new trailer with broken welds on axles wore out tires). They came out each time quickly. Never raised my price because I used it. So far I love Coach-net.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #17
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I wish I still had my wood stove for heat. I could heat my house for a month from just the mailings I get from AARP, Camping World, and all the other companies that have bought their mailing lists.
Yes! You can't open the AARP magazine without a dozen mail in cards falling out of it! Cancelled it years ago!

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
Yes! You can't open the AARP magazine without a dozen mail in cards falling out of it! Cancelled it years ago!
I would too if it wasn't for the discount I get on my phone service. Consumer Cellular has been great for me and in order to get the lowest prices you have to put up with the extra mail.

Actually there is one group that's worse. The NRA. I finally joined after years of avoiding them. They "suckered" me in by offering a free range bag. Since I needed a new one I joined for a year and I ended up with a range bag for half the price of one I would have to buy. Not only mail, but e-mail too. I just fill the recycle bin with my twice per week requests for money and have my e-mail set to send their electronic begging to the spam bin.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #19

Coach-net goes the xtra mile. We've needed assistance in some very remote places and they've come through every time, even paying extortionate rates ($1500) to a tow service in middle-of-nowhere Montana. Their technicians have been very helpful with over-the-phone assistance a number of times, too. We've been VERY happy with these guys.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #20
Multi-Slacker

I suspect that the "best" insurance varies by geographic area. Here, in CA, AAA reigns supreme. I suspect it does through much of the Western USA. Do not know about elsewhere.