Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 04:26 AM   #1

What’s Behind You?

More and more I am seeing people pulling travel trailers who have no idea what is behind them and, sometimes, what is beside them. So many people, lately, are towing without using towing mirrors. I don’t know what they are thinking — why would somebody even consider towing like this? It is extremely selfish of the driver and a danger to the driver and everybody else on the road. Sure, they risk getting a ticket, but that doesn’t make it any better for everybody else on the road.

Has anybody else noticed more of this lately, or is it just me?

Bruce
Old 04-24-2018, 05:51 AM   #2

I see it all the time. I work at 1 RV Resort and live at a different RV Resort. I see mini vans and SUV's pulling RV's that their bumpers are dragging the ground and they can't see in their mirrors to back into their spots.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8lvy View Post
I see it all the time. I work at 1 RV Resort and live at a different RV Resort. I see mini vans and SUV's pulling RV's that their bumpers are dragging the ground and they can't see in their mirrors to back into their spots.
Have you noticed it more frequently now than in the past? You mention mini vans and SUVs, but I’m sure you would include crossover vehicles and the smaller pickup trucks as well as the full-size pickup trucks with standard mirrors.

I think that people are more concerned with the aesthetics of their tow vehicle, and don’t want to attach “unsightly” tow mirrors, or, maybe, they just don’t want to deal with the hassle, or are incapable of attaching temporary towing mirrors.

Bruce
Old 04-24-2018, 07:00 AM   #4

It's called " lack of personal responsibility and not giving a s___ about anything but themselves" syndrome.
They probably want a trophy for it also.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #5

A lot of it is probably just ignorance. Not in a “you’re stupid” kind of way, but they don’t know what tow mirrors are or why they’re needed. People don’t research things, they just do it. I’ve seen 3/4 ton trucks with regular mirrors... how does it even make sense for the manufacturer to put those on? So someone goes and buys the truck from the dealership and asks, “will this tow my camper?” The salesman says, “oh yea, it has everything you need to tow. Has the tow package and integrated brake controller. You’re good to go.” Yet it has no tow mirrors. My Tahoe was like that. I grew up on a farm though, so I knew better. I could still see to the back of my trailer and traffic pretty well, just couldn’t see people who were directly behind me.
schaffer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I passed a motorhome that they driver had pulled his side curtain down completely and was driving simply by using his cameras. Those coming in behind me said the guy was involved in a wreck. That's a special kind of stupid.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer05 View Post
A lot of it is probably just ignorance. Not in a “you’re stupid” kind of way, but they don’t know what tow mirrors are or why they’re needed. People don’t research things, they just do it. I’ve seen 3/4 ton trucks with regular mirrors... how does it even make sense for the manufacturer to put those on? So someone goes and buys the truck from the dealership and asks, “will this tow my camper?” The salesman says, “oh yea, it has everything you need to tow. Has the tow package and integrated brake controller. You’re good to go.” Yet it has no tow mirrors. My Tahoe was like that. I grew up on a farm though, so I knew better. I could still see to the back of my trailer and traffic pretty well, just couldn’t see people who were directly behind me.
x2!

And I'm not sure of how many people actually "scan" their mirrors while towing, heck most probably don't even scan the dashboard anymore....they just wait for a light or warning bell to go off.

Personally my eyes never rest in one spot very long and I pretty much "live in my mirrors". But that is what I was taught growing up and what I passed to my son to do.

Being aware is being safe!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #8

I agree with the OP but some people see things a little differently than others. I was at the dump station the other day and a guy pulls up in his class A telling me how he used to have a fifth wheel and a DUALLY to pull it. His was 32 feet and his DUALLY pulled it so good. How long is that thing, he asked. 42 feet I said. His response, I bet my DUALLY would have pulled that thing pretty good. OK dude, I get it, you think I should have a DUALLY! lol My truck is rated to tow 16,800lbs and I am around 14,500 loaded. I'm well under payload and I've upgraded the tires, shocks, springs and added airbags. I just nodded a lot and went on my way. He clearly thought I am unsafe and I could care less what he thinks.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
x2!

And I'm not sure of how many people actually "scan" their mirrors while towing, heck most probably don't even scan the dashboard anymore....they just wait for a light or warning bell to go off.

Personally my eyes never rest in one spot very long and I pretty much "live in my mirrors". But that is what I was taught growing up and what I passed to my son to do.

Being aware is being safe!
This is so true. My DW often gets nervous when we get into a quick brake situation because I don't slow down fast enough for her. I have to remind her that she is only looking at what is going on in front of us while I am also monitoring what is going on behind us. I know that I have time to stop, but I have to try to make sure the guy behind me has time to stop as well.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
When I bought my first travel trailer, I picked it up with my 2004 Silverado 2500HD with the tow package. I left the dealer and started down the road only to realize I had no idea what was behind me or beside me. I was scared to death for 40 miles, riding in the right lane as much as I could. This is when I realized there was a problem with my mirrors. The first thing I did when I got home was order a pair of real towing mirrors to swap out with my passenger car mirrors. Like others have said they do, I am always watching my mirrors. I always know what is going on around me when I am on the road. Why would Chevrolet not put towing mirrors on a truck with a tow package?

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #11

I also see a lot of 1/2 ton trucks without proper mirrors mostly pulling travel trailers and a few pulling fifth wheels with the cheesy clamp on mirrors which are better than nothing. Most 3/4 tons are set up with the right mirrors.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
When I bought my first travel trailer, I picked it up with my 2004 Silverado 2500HD with the tow package. I left the dealer and started down the road only to realize I had no idea what was behind me or beside me. I was scared to death for 40 miles, riding in the right lane as much as I could. This is when I realized there was a problem with my mirrors. The first thing I did when I got home was order a pair of real towing mirrors to swap out with my passenger car mirrors. Like others have said they do, I am always watching my mirrors. I always know what is going on around me when I am on the road. Why would Chevrolet not put towing mirrors on a truck with a tow package?

Bruce

I think most dealers order the trucks the way they want them. I do not think the Manufacturer just sends them random trucks. I have been to some dealerships that have trucks that are ordered with about the right options and other ones I scratch my head on why would you have a truck like that.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #13

Quote:
I think most dealers order the trucks the way they want them. I do not think the Manufacturer just sends them random trucks. I have been to some dealerships that have trucks that are ordered with about the right options and other ones I scratch my head on why would you have a truck like that.

The point is, why are they even sending out 3/4 ton+ trucks without tow mirrors.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
The point is, why are they even sending out 3/4 ton+ trucks without tow mirrors.
I guess this would be for the people that want a truck but do not use it as a tow vehicle. I live in Florida and see where 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have these big tires and lift kits on them and they are now just a toy. I see them often lifted up and a big drop hitch trying to tow a cargo trailer and the truck is sagging because of the lift they put on it.
I have seen trucks with lift kits pulling fifth wheels and I swear the fifth wheel back bumper is just about dragging and the nose of it is way high.
I just shake my head and hope that no one gets in a wreck.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #15

Oh yea, we have those guys here in Mo too. But the manufacturer should be making those trucks towards their purpose. Let the mall truck guys pay to put on passenger mirrors, not the other way around.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #16

Quote:
I guess this would be for the people that want a truck but do not use it as a tow vehicle. I live in Florida and see where 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have these big tires and lift kits on them and they are now just a toy. I see them often lifted up and a big drop hitch trying to tow a cargo trailer and the truck is sagging because of the lift they put on it.
I have seen trucks with lift kits pulling fifth wheels and I swear the fifth wheel back bumper is just about dragging and the nose of it is way high.
I just shake my head and hope that no one gets in a wreck.
I imagine many individuals and businesses use the big trucks exclusively for hauling payload, and not for towing.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote