Old 06-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #11

I grew up camping in a TT with my parents. As an adult I seem to be always seeking new experiences, a bit of wanderlust. When our son was little I wanted him to experience some of those feelings so we bought our first TT. Now that he's grown we mostly do it to share the experience with the camping friends we made along the way. They've become part of our family and camping has become part of our lifestyle.

stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #12
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I like the fact that I have my own hotel room I can take wherever I want to go!

Well...almost anywhere!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerBlueMesaView-PA111414.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	628.5 KB
ID:	176950  

Just because someone has been "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean YOU should!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel68 View Post
We live in "small town America." You know, everyone knows everyone. We moved from Houston years ago when we started our family. When we lived in Houston and tuned into the local news there was a murder almost every day, plus other crime. We loved the city over all, but it just wasn't something, us personally, wanted our kids to see everyday.

We love living here but knew our kids needed to experience as much as we could show them. By the time they went to college they'd been to almost every state in America. They experienced almost every major art museum across the country plus so much more in cities and rural American on different levels. It was/is great.

Our son is starting medical school this year and our daughter is finishing nursing school, shameless plug. They got to see/experience every thing great and not-so-great in America.

Our kids still have the itch to go, but now their responsibilities have surpassed us being able to "pick up and go." They still go with us from time to time, especially our daughter. We miss those days and it's one of those things - if you miss it, you ain't gettin' it back.

There's still so much more to experience in America for us- that's why we do it. Go where the history happened, go where history is being made. We have friends that "travel" - Resorts, All Inclusives, Islands, Beaches, Vegas, etc. They almost always leave their kids at home. It's funny when we get asked what we do with our kids when we're on vacation...What??? They're not cats, but we bring our cats too.
Attachment 176932
Kudos for taking advantage of a great educational opportunity for your kids...and yourselves.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #14

For us, their were three reasons. 1. We didn't want to leave the dogs behind. 2. We don't like having a fixed schedule. 3. We can do more with less money.
Ok 4 things
4. I'd much rather drive than fly.
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #15
RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artspe View Post
4. I'd much rather drive than fly.

2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Cargo Van HR DRW EXT DIY Daytripper "My Little Red Corvette"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #16

Our financial adviser had words of wisdom when we retired.
Expect another 30 years.
The first 10 are go go years
The next 10 are slow go years
The next 10 are no go years.
So we are running wide open with RVing during our go go years!!

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #17

I tent camped as a young boy but then forgot about it as I grew up. When I met my beautiful DW she got me back into it. She had been a life-long camper with her family. First we had a tent then a Popup. When our daughter moved away who camped with us we lost interest but regained it a few years ago and bought our first TT a hybrid. Shortly after our purchase we joined a Good Sam camping group which has really made our experience much more fun. There’s nothing like socializing around a campfire or playing card games or corn hole or having a pot luck dinner. It’s all about the socialization that keeps us coming back.
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #18

Growing up, it was two weeks every summer in a rented popup trailer from local camper dealer. Different place every summer and usually two days in same spot and then off to another. I loved every minute of it and spent most of my youth sleeping in the backyard in our canvas tent. Buddies and I rarely slept indoors during the summer. Grew up loving the outdoors.
Wife was a camper growing up, so when we had the kids, we did the standard progression....Tent, Popup, small TT, Current is large TT, but the kids are all grown with kids of their own.
TheWolfPaq82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:45 AM   #19

What’s Your Motivation to RV?

It's a lifestyle that we love. The freedom to wander where & when we want and the opportunity to stay in such scenic places. Also the opportunity to meet wonderful people, everyone that is camping is happy.

The wanderlust was instilled in me by my mother who took my brothers and I camping when we couldn't afford to do anything else. It continued in an amazing VW camper she bought when I was still young. We instilled that same wanderlust in our daughters who also grew up in VW campers. Now that we are retired we love immersing ourselves in each camping adventure. In the past we had to make it fit in two weeks, we now wander for 2 months at a time. Most recent long trip we made new friends at a campground and ended up staying an extra week to spend time with them and enjoy the scenery. Life is amazing enjoy every day!
Old 08-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #20
Canadian Member

Here is a follow up video by the same Youtuber...

https://youtu.be/O-BDvpKrVbo

2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote