Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #21
Don't Camp Enough

Thankfully no one was hurt. I think you did what most of us would have done in that situation.

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #22

You made a good decision in a very short period of time & nobody was hurt, don't 2d guess yourself.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

I am is the "slow down slowly" and move slightly over camp.

Slowing down will reduce the severity of the impending accident you will almost certainly be involved in for you.

Maintaining your speed makes his math easier (one less thing for him to worry about; BUT he is already a moron for passing without a clear lane to pass in and you can't count on him doing any closure math at all).

Accelerating only helps if he is decelerating hard and has a place to go. Most likely the other cars behind you, unaware of what is going on, are right on your bumper waiting for their turn.

Worse, what happens when the oncoming car/truck comes into your lane? You are being hit head-on with the effect of your combined closure speed squared. He will be slowing and you should be as well.

Moving over is only a safe choice if you have a safe level place to slide over TO. A sloped or soft shoulder can complicate YOUR situation if you lose control of your rig. You may not even be aware what kind of shoulder you have until you move over there.

Without a doubt you did the right thing, IMO.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I think you did the right thing. There is no way for you to know what he will do. If it had turned out badly at least you will know you tried to help. Had you done nothing and it went bad you would blame yourself for taking no action.
X2 it's all you can do.......probably would recommend slowing down quickly but " slamming on your brakes" always has the added risk of being rear ended. Have had it happen many times over the years and you did the right thing. We do a lot of high traffic two lane road driving in our area so people pull out to pass you many times in a day. I'm a 60 MpH Max guy when towing so at the speed limit but slower than a lot of the traffic. I also keep a close eye on traffic piling up behind me and look for a safe spot to stop and let them by.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #25

I have seen police officers pull over trailers for impeding traffic.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think five cars is the limit in California ??
Here is some info on the subject....

Traffic Tickets for Driving Too Slowly | Nolo.com
Old 06-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #26

Wrvond is right
Old 06-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #27

Glad it all worked out..........

Not towing but on a two lane road around 10AM next county over, curvy road... I was behind a Ford Ranger going the posted 55mph a Ford Contour was behind me........... No way to know if he was trying to pass or drifting over falling asleep. He drifted over (or tried to pass) several times behind me but maintaned the same speed.................

Then it happened......... at a curve he went all the way into the other lane just as a tractor trailer rounded the curve............... I saw the result in the rear view mirror................ sadly he paid the ultimate price.......... in a hurry???.... do not know....... did find out he had just got off work about 30 miles away......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #28

No matter what anyone else does, the slower YOU'RE going when bad things start to happen, the better off YOU'RE going to be.

So I think you did the right thing.

Very similar to what happens at on-ramps, when ding-bats forget that the on-ramp is where they're supposed to be getting up to speed to merge, NOT just a way to merge and THEN to get up to speed. I don't know how many of those idiots I've had to step on the brake for as they run out of on-ramp, but are only going 45mph.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
This is tough but you should maintain your speed. When the car passing you saw the oncoming car he tried to slow down but could not get back of you because you were slowing down. It is instinct though and survival move.

It is the same for merging traffic onto the interstate. I will move over if I can but if I can't I maintain my speed. It is the responsibility of the driver entering the interstate to MERGE into traffic. They need to speed up or slow down based on the situation.

I also agree, don't beat yourself up over it.
X2. Plus you said that there was 5 to 6 cars behind you. When you slammed on the breaks, you could of very well had one of them in the back of the trailer. When ever I have a pile of cars behind, I would slow down on the straight stretches and move over a little to the right. That will allow the log jam behind you to pass in a safe area. I know everyone tries to keep to a schedule, but I would rather arrive safe. I am just glad everything turned out for the best for you.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #30

I don't know and I may be wrong but I think slowing down enhances your chances of being caught up in the accident if one did happen. Think about if you were one of the other 2 vehicles in this situation. If you were the passer and realized you were not going to make the pass you would be on your brakes to fall back in line and if you can't because of other traffic, oh well, but the RV you were trying to pass is far ahead of you now and will be watching the mayhem in their rear view mirror. Now if you were driving the on coming vehicle you would see a car in your lane trying to pass a big RV and you would instinctly start to slow and instinctively move to the right, not to the left into the path of an RV. Your slowing will allow the RV who maintained speed to close and pass you more quickly and be clear of the possible accident you are about to be in. IMHO slowing down only increases your chances of being part of the possible wreck. You want the wreck to happen behind you, not beside or in front of you.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #31

I have been in that situation and slowing...not braking hard...has let the passer get ahead with less danger. I have held my speed when the passing vehicle was really accelerating quickly.
But , I think you did ok

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #32

You did the right thing.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #33

Any choice with no wreck or injury is probably the correct one!
Old 06-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #34

Any time on a 2 lane I run the PSL. If being passed I wait until he is even with my TV and slow slightly. Hate the thought of slamming on the brakes. If things get hot I'll have both hands on the wheel as it is likely most without the power to get by will not be able to push my TV off the road.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #35

You said you were running the limit and above so what gives you impression that you have to help law violators. You are towing burning more fuel so you are paying more for the road(in taxes) as they are. If I maintain the speed limit they can line up like a funeral procession. But if I see someone trying to pass and not have the race car they think they had I will back off the throttle to let them around. Keep towing and you see this next they run 70 to pass you and then run 45 and 50 before a hill or where you cannot pass them. A lot are in a hurry to go nowhere. No one is hurt so count it good. If you are not seeing an idiot driving the chance might be you are the idiot or worse riding with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #36

Sounds like you did the right thing. The only thing I can add is to make sure you know the laws where you are driving. Arizona recently passed a law saying that if you are holding up traffic, (5 or more vehicles?) regardless of whether you are at, below, or above the speed limit, you should pull over when safe and allow the traffic to pass you. Easier said than done, my dad once pulled over while towing a trailer and it took almost 1/2 an hour to get back on the road, but he still did the right thing.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #37

Quote:
I don't know and I may be wrong but I think slowing down enhances your chances of being caught up in the accident if one did happen. Think about if you were one of the other 2 vehicles in this situation. If you were the passer and realized you were not going to make the pass you would be on your brakes to fall back in line and if you can't because of other traffic, oh well, but the RV you were trying to pass is far ahead of you now and will be watching the mayhem in their rear view mirror. Now if you were driving the on coming vehicle you would see a car in your lane trying to pass a big RV and you would instinctly start to slow and instinctively move to the right, not to the left into the path of an RV. Your slowing will allow the RV who maintained speed to close and pass you more quickly and be clear of the possible accident you are about to be in. IMHO slowing down only increases your chances of being part of the possible wreck. You want the wreck to happen behind you, not beside or in front of you.
My experience with people who pass you when you're already going faster than the speed limit is NOT that they step on the brakes, but that they step on the gas, whether they have anything left or not. That's the mindset that had them passing you in the first place.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
My experience with people who pass you when you're already going faster than the speed limit is NOT that they step on the brakes, but that they step on the gas, whether they have anything left or not. That's the mindset that had them passing you in the first place.
The OP asked what he should have done and then he said this in his post:

"so I hit the brakes pretty hard ... he should have been able to get around me and back on our side , but NO , when he saw the car coming the other way he hit his brakes and sent the other car scrambling to get out of the way"

Just what I would predict the passing driver to do if there was no way he was going to make the pass.

I know instinct want to make you slow down but I'm going to try and maintain my speed. I just think slowing down puts me in more jeopardy when trying to second guess someone who is trying to make an ill advised pass.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:36 PM   #39

Quote:
The OP asked what he should have done and then he said this in his post:

"so I hit the brakes pretty hard ... he should have been able to get around me and back on our side , but NO , when he saw the car coming the other way he hit his brakes and sent the other car scrambling to get out of the way"

Just what I would predict the passing driver to do if there was no way he was going to make the pass.

I know instinct want to make you slow down but I'm going to try and maintain my speed. I just think slowing down puts me in more jeopardy when trying to second guess someone who is trying to make an ill advised pass.
Yeah, this guy did. And what if the next guy speeds up? You just don't know what they will do. You've got a 50-50 chance.

I don't believe there's a real answer here.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:06 AM   #40

Thank you for traveling 55 in a 50. I slow down too, slightly when being passed. I pull a little to the right too so the person gets a good view ahead.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote